Wireless Video Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titan91

Pretty interesting that analog FM video cameras/senders are still around even to this day and you can still find receiving equipment. Most stuff runs on 2.4GHz but the 5.8GHz band is also popular for use with inexpensive drone FPV cameras. Who else is interested in video scanning? Any other bands are still used today for unlicensed video?

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Pretty interesting that analog FM video cameras/senders are still around even to this day and you can still find receiving equipment. Who else is interested in video scanning?

Given that FM cameras and senders are very short range (I've used them, they barely get a signal to their own receiver), you'd have to be right outside the location to pick it up - and then what are you going to see? A nannycam? You have to be a pretty big creep to do that.

Last edited:

PACNWDude

No new frequency bands to note, but when scanning, I know some building maintenance types that still take an old baby monitor receiver and 2.4GHz back up camera monitor with them.

Like was said before, very short range, and probably really just a baby camera (creepy). But they do come in handy, and college dorms and apartment complexes have a lot of people still using them.

And yes, some quadcopter video feeds can be seen with some monitors as well.

PACNWDude

Wireless video monitor.

No new frequency bands to note, but when scanning, I know some building maintenance types that still take an old baby monitor receiver and 2.4GHz back up camera monitor with them.

Like was said before, very short range, and probably really just a baby camera (creepy). But they do come in handy, and college dorms and apartment complexes have a lot of people still using them.

And yes, some quadcopter video feeds can be seen with some monitors as well.

sopranosno1

I always been interested in the video scanning field. who is the reliable dealers for this field? one time optoelectronics, aor, etc had them. any other dealers out there and reliable?

sopranosno1

I think i have a list stashed at home with several more dealers i collected over the years. I will post if i find it.

scosgt

I have two of the R3's I would love to get some money out of.

Titan91

Each channel eats up 3 or 4 channels of WiFi doesn't it? I saw a video of someone making a full WiFi jammer with 4 of these transmitting just a blank signal.

Last edited:

Titan91

Getting back on the topic of actual scanning, there are some cheap Chinese receivers/monitors that do auto-scanning now for FPV applications. So now anyone can get a really cheap alternative to the R3 that scans for less than $100, obviously with less features. I have a monitor from Banggood.com that fits in my pocket and scans 32 channels of the 5.8GHz spectrum, but it's not a "sweeper" and won't find out of band signals unless there is sideband leakage from the transmitter. Then again you can only squish wideband video into so many channels so there is bound to be some overlap with nonstandard frequencies right? Each channel is 20MHz-27MHz wide.

JnglMassiv

I've got one of these (or very similar): 99 Camera scanner

I've had it for ages but really never got too into it. Even years ago, coming across analog cams was pretty rare and even more so now that digital is the norm. Most of what I found were things like backyard/garage coverage or a cam at a small retail business over the register or entrance door so someone in back could see what was going on up front. Yes, I have seen a few nannycams and, weirdly, one covering the refrigerator in a house.

The ..um, most thought provoking was covering the bed in what seemed to be a guest bedroom in the condo building a friend of mine was living in. I let him borrow the scanner for a couple weeks and he said he never really saw anything: lights from the other rooms turning on and off, a brief flash of a person (unidentifiable) walking past the hall. He and his girl were glued to it for a few days and then got tired of watching an empty room.

Nowadays, the camera scanner mostly sits in my car with batteries dead. I charge them up and turn it on a couple times a year but can't remember the last time I found a new cam.

Titan91

Very interesting device! My particular setup used a Curtis ATSC 7" screen, a generic Chinese 2.4GHz 4 channel video receiver with composite video and mono audio output, an Eachine Boscam RC832 5.8GHz video receiver with composite video and mono audio output, and a Mighty Jump 12v/USB battery/power supply. I was using the Mighty Jump to switch between powering the 2.4/5.8 transmitter since the 2.4 runs on 12v using a barrel connector and the 5.8 can run on 5v using a USB charger cable.

I used this for a while and eventually realized two major problems:

1. I had access to 40 total channels of video with no way to scan through them
2. The screen I was using blanks out and displays "no signal" when too much static shows up

So I dismantled that rig shown in the thread and decided to use two solutions, one for each band. I attached the 2.4 receiver and Mighty Jump to an old portable DVD player that does not blank the picture when signal is lost, it shows visible and plays audible static all the time during periods of no reception. This is crucial to discovering new signals in the field. I am recycling the Boscam 5.8 receiver for a ground station and purchased the FXT F408 5.8GHz 32 channel scanning monitor from Banggood:

FX 4.3 Inch TFT LCD Screen Monitor With 5.8GHz 32CH AV Receiver For FPV Multicopter Sale - Banggood.com

Now I can scan through 32 channels on 5.8 and can live without scanning on 2.4 since there are only 4 channels for that band. I strongly recommend going with the FXT monitor for 5.8, it's an awesome value. The only downside is it doesn't have a DVR function for recording but recording wireless video feeds is illegal anyway, plus I don't have a use for it as the quality is crap.

Unfortunately it's sold out, I grabbed the next to the last one. It's the white version, as some had said they got a black one. It's a great receiver for the price and is ideal for WarSpying on 5.8. Within 20 minutes of driving I found a guy just down the block sending a full 16 channel CCTV system over a 5.8 link, unscrambled! I was not aware of this hobby when the 2.4 stuff was mainstream in the early 2000s. However, it seems the cybersecurity world has done absolutely NOTHING to make 5.8 systems any more private other than just spit the composite video signals out over another frequency. So what do we get? Basically 2002 all over again, now with a lot more devices thanks to the new inexpensive drone FPV market and the general shift from 2.4GHz to 5.8GHz due to congestion of the 2.4 band. Like before, everything is cross-compatible save for the few receivers left that have issues with FatShark transmitters. Even though there isn't as much analog stuff out there today, I dare say the problem is actually WORSE now than it was before since things have gotten so much cheaper and more accessible. Case in point:

https://www.google.com/#q=5.8ghz+video&tbm=shop
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=5.8ghz+video
5.8ghz video | eBay
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=5.8ghz video
Kmart.com

Status
Not open for further replies.