Constant data channel noise - PRO 651

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyblooz

Not sure what I've done, but my scanner is transmitting the data channel sound (sounds like a fire engine idling) all the time suddenly. It stops during transmissions, but it constantly does it in scan mode regardless of anything I do. It is impervious to squelch or locking out channels etc.

In the middle of a snowstorm here, and I need my scanner. Not sure if I hit something or if it just went into that mode. It happened once in the past for a few days, then went back to normal. Not sure if I had anything to do with it that time either. I am not the most tech savvy especially on this one yet.

Ideas?

ecps92

a. Update your profile , so we know where you are.
b. Frequency ?
c. Who are you trying to listen to on said Freq

This way we can help you better

Not sure what I've done, but my scanner is transmitting the data channel sound (sounds like a fire engine idling) all the time suddenly. It stops during transmissions, but it constantly does it in scan mode regardless of anything I do. It is impervious to squelch or locking out channels etc.

In the middle of a snowstorm here, and I need my scanner. Not sure if I hit something or if it just went into that mode. It happened once in the past for a few days, then went back to normal. Not sure if I had anything to do with it that time either. I am not the most tech savvy especially on this one yet.

Ideas?

jonnyblooz

It is across all bands. When it stops on a transmission, all is good but when it it's scanning across all bands/talkgroups. Squelch has no effect.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

jonnyblooz

Scanning in Western NC. Scanning statewide Viper, local 800 Motorola as well as 155mhz, 450mhz etc.

jonnyblooz

Also, should mention it started doing this out of nowhere. I've had this scanner for nearly a year.

AlphaFive

data channel

I'm in Asheville, it's around 2:15, I'll try to monitor this for a bit. When your radio does this, let me know here on the forum what frequency it's happening on. I'll put my Pro 197 on it and see what happens.

jonnyblooz

I tried my PRO97 and no problems. The 651 is doing it on APD, Buncombe Sheriff, EMS, NCHP, Buncombe Fire, Duke Power, Henderson Sheriff etc. I'm stumped.

AlphaFive

data channel

Ohh, technically I have little knowledge regarding diagnosing the radio's themselves if they are malfunctioning. I have an excellent frequency log for everything surrounding Asheville that I have built up. I can certainly tell you who is using what... But unfortunately this sounds like a repair diagnosis, that's above my measly pay grade. Take care, let me know if you think I can help with anything.

jonnyblooz

I do appreciate the response. I feel it needs a master reset. I've tried everything else. Thanks again.

ecps92

With Agency Names, it's almost impossible to help.
Freq and Tone is really needed.

Have you programmed the Conventional channels with the PL/DPL ?
or are you running CSQ aka No PL

Likely you are right near a Paging or Cell site causing your interference.
More info needed, not Agency names

I tried my PRO97 and no problems. The 651 is doing it on APD, Buncombe Sheriff, EMS, NCHP, Buncombe Fire, Duke Power, Henderson Sheriff etc. I'm stumped.

jonnyblooz

With Agency Names, it's almost impossible to help.
Freq and Tone is really needed.

Have you programmed the Conventional channels with the PL/DPL ?
or are you running CSQ aka No PL

Likely you are right near a Paging or Cell site causing your interference.
More info needed, not Agency names

I only listed by agency because Alpa Five is here locally and would know the freqs, because the problem is not limited to any freqs, it is global across all bands , all objects and talkgroups.

As to your questions, I must admit I am in over my head on this scanner with reference to the tech talk. I debated on starting the thread at all for this reason because I really don't have the knowledge to help you help me.

I do sincerely appreciate the efforts though.

I believe it is local interference or an internal issue.

ecps92

Without the answers to the questions, I've asked... I'm out of here then. Tried :roll:

I only listed by agency because Alpa Five is here locally and would know the freqs, because the problem is not limited to any freqs, it is global across all bands , all objects and talkgroups.

As to your questions, I must admit I am in over my head on this scanner with reference to the tech talk. I debated on starting the thread at all for this reason because I really don't have the knowledge to help you help me.

I do sincerely appreciate the efforts though.

I believe it is local interference or an internal issue.

jonnyblooz

Wow, thought I thanked you profusely and admitted I wasn't up to the level of knowledge it required to give you the tools to help.

Eye roll not necessary. Happy for you that you were born an expert.

ecps92

I had to learn my 600 (same radio as your 651) and was attempting to help you. :confused:

You said you programmed it by hand (credit there) Good, so you should then know the
a. Frequency and Tone your programmed it with
b. The Scan list you assigned it

Telling us Agency names (or worse Acronyms) means nothing, as Agencies use many Frequencies.

Common mistakes are to enter the input Freq, not the output, put in the wrong tones, forget to assign or enable the correct scan list, or even as agencies have moved to Narrowband they change the Tone (RR is not always accurate, as it is user contributions that input the data) to keep the old radios (non narrowband) off the network

Try the frequency without the PL/DPL, let the system tell you want it is.

:roll:

If you don't want to put in the effort, then why should I :roll:
Time for a Nice Cold One :D and to add to the IGGY list

Wow, thought I thanked you profusely and admitted I wasn't up to the level of knowledge it required to give you the tools to help.

Eye roll not necessary. Happy for you that you were born an expert.

jonnyblooz

Again, it's not laziness, it's stupidity. The local member asked what I was monitoring, I listed by agencies because if I listed all of them that are affected, it would be a mile long. He said he had a self built log of Asheville freqs so he knows by name and abbreviations what I mean. That was just so he could monitor those agencies real quick and see if he had local issues.

For users such as yourself, if course I don't expect it to make sense. That was just to answer his question.

Also again, if I understood what you needed to know, I would, but I don't yet have the knowledge to understand your terminology or acronyms.

I'm a scanner novice in a snowstorm feeling a little helpless.

The problem fixed itself now, obviously an interference or chip issue.

Thank you again, I'm sorry I don't know how to provide the technical answers. Let's just move on.

Also stated,

ME343

ME/NH/VT DB Admin
Database Admin
is it possible you can post a video of the sanner doing it? than maybe we can help figure out the problem a little more. I looked at your county and most of it is analog so as long as you put in a CTCSS and DCS tone it should be data noise unless you didnt do search and are getting hits from a trunk system that uses a control channel.

jonnyblooz

Video is a great idea. It has resolved itself currently which makes me think weather may have been an issue.

In a nutshell, when scanning, it would make a constant "control channel" noise that sounds like an idling fire truck. Whenever it landed on an object it would be a normal, clear transmission. Then it would go back to the noise when scanning resumed.

This was global across all talkgroups and all frequency ranges.

Bearing in mind that the unit was operating normally and began doing this without being touched. This is also the case when the trouble stopped a bit ago. Just stopped on its own.

I wish I could have explained it better. Going from a PRO97 to this is a big learning curve.

Not the first impression I wanted to make here.

Status
Not open for further replies.