rf filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobChiz

which filter is the right one? when I transmit it interferes with the tv.
I am a bit confused which filter to buy or the proper way to fix this problem,I use an over the air antenna.
thanks Bob KM4QDS

nd5y

There are different kinds of filters for different interference problems.
You're not giving enough information for anybody to help you.
Transmitting with what?
What frequency? HF, VHF, or UHF?
What kind of antennas on both the ham station and TV?
What kind of interference is happening to the TV?

majoco

Stirrer
My 1982 ARRL handbook has a whole section on TVI - perhaps you should have a read of that. If you haven't got any ARRL handbook, why not? Every ham in the world must have one by now!

BobChiz

thanks for the reply's,
its affecting the in coming signal.
i am not hearing anything through the tv.
I have an omni directional tv antenna (OTA)
i am useing a Tram 1480 dual band and transmitting on a yaesu FT 2900 R/E.
when I transmit the signal loss screen will appear on the tv.so im thinking its interfering with the incoming signal. as far as the mounting of the 2 antennas they are both up around 30' and apart 15' on 2 different masts.
thanks guys.
As far as an ARRL book why?all the info is online.
i do thank you all for your help.

BobChiz

i am using rg6 on my ham antenna and rg59 on the tv antenna.
my swr is below 1.1:1 on 145-146 and below 1.5:1 om 147 om 2m band so i am kinda skeptical about the rg6.

ak4fn

my swr is below 1.1:1 on 145-146 and below 1.5:1 om 147 om 2m band so i am kinda skeptical about the rg6.

I think you need to look at your meter, the best case you could have with 75 ohm coax would be 1.5:1 unless you have so much loss due to the length of coax or something.

K3YGX

Seems like you do need a copy of the ARRL Handbook judging by the questions you are asking here..
There are many reasons why you could be interfering with the TV and until you figure out how then
you are spinning your wheels....

K7MEM

I wouldn't be skeptical about the RG-6. At 2 Meters and 70 CM, RG-6 is a much better coax than RG-59. If anything I would suspect the RG-59 being a problem. RG-6 is pretty cheap. You might want to replace the coax on the TV antenna with some RG-6. The extra shielding may help eliminate the interference. As a plus, it may help improve your TV reception.

I think you need to look at your meter, the best case you could have with 75 ohm coax would be 1.5:1 unless you have so much loss due to the length of coax or something.

The "1.5:1" figure assumes that the antenna is 50 Ohms, the driver is a 50 Ohm driver, and there is no loss in the coax. And probably, none of that is true. Being a multi-band antenna, the input impedance could be off and still be within manufacturers spec. It could be higher or lower, and still be within reason. Even the coax could be off from its specified 75 Ohms. I don't see anything wrong with those SWR measurements. There is nothing wrong with using RG-6.

Martin - K7MEM

cmdrwill

Radio is 50 ohms. Antenna is 50 ohms. Coax is 75ohms. Whats wrong?

OP is using the wrong coax cable on his dual band Ham antenna.

And, the TV antenna is probably too close to the transmitting antenna, causing the TV receiver to overload..

Kb2Jpd

Definitely the TV is having front end Overload to the point where the RF is shutting down the receiver section.
You can also change the height of the Antenna to get vertical separation. Transmit antenna higher than the TV antenna. See how that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.