BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Ready to buy.. the FIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
I'm ready to purchase another BCD436HP, how do I request/or get the latest model with the FIX? who has it in stock, or do I just take a chance? the FIX being the Brighter screen etc.. :)
Thanks in Advance..
Doug

Voyager

I would wait a while until the new stock penetrates the distribution chain more thoroughly.

Right now it's pure chance. Amazon is the only supplier that has been reported to be selling the new ones, but even that I would say is a chance right now.

frazpo

A gentlemen in a recent post stated he actually called the vendor he was purchasing from (?) can't remember which but I think it was either Ham radio outlet or scannermaster and they guaranteed a new product.

Voyager

I know some have been talking about HRO. Although I would expect Scannermaster to be one of the early stockers, too.

kc2kth

Agree with Bill, new just means new. It doesn't mean latest rev, which I think it's unlikely for vendors to commonly know. The best bet is like Voyager stated most likely, hold off for a while. I'd go a step further and say buy only from a top tier vendor when you do to try and make sure you are getting fresh stock. I've gotten burned by this before with Amazon more than once with electronics. Not all firmwares are flashable and I've had to return one item because of this and a known bug that had been resolved in a product rev a full year before I ordered.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I thought I had read some place here on RR that Uniden had recalled ALL scanners from dealers to apply any needed fixes to reduce the bad PR that is bound to occur if customers buy a new expensive radio just to have to then sent it in to be fixed.

But I could be wrong on this.

Anyone else remember something like this?

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
Yes, thanks for the replies and suggestions.. I think I will call Rich at ScannerMaster Monday and ask him he has one available and explain the situation, which I'm quite sure he is aware of..
Thanks again...
Doug

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
I will ask them to open one up and check it out.. if they want to sell one on the spot, they may do that.. LOL.. we shall see..

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
Yes, It's a great scanner.. I really like the Close Call feature in certain situations, which my WS1080 is sadly lacking.. otherwise it's OK..

mrhermit

Premium Subscriber
This is the first I have heard of this New Brighter Screen. Does anyone one know if this Uniden fix can upgrade older 436's or is it only for new models?

Joe in Sarasota FL

Isaac-1

This is part of the fix that is being applied to units sent in under the repair campaign for the real time clock battery failure problem. I just got mine back from being repair a week or so ago and in addition to a clock that does not loose its time every time the scanner is turned off for more than a few seconds it now has a slightly different color backlight. You can read up on it in the repair campaign sticky thread see the messages talking about it a couple of days ago http://forums.radioreference.com/un...603-bcd436hp-bcd536hp-repair-campaign-31.html

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
Hi.. just getting back here.. I talked with ScannerMaster on Monday and they said they could not identify from their stock if they had the 436 with the fix.. they had no way of knowing.. however they were aware of it.
Since I have done a lot of business with HRO over the years, I called their PDX store and asked them the same question.. they said they just got a new shipment in and if I bought one, and it did't have the FIX, I could return it with no problem.. So on Thursday I'm headed to PDX (only 78 miles) to pick one up.. I will let you know.. I really want that radio, only if it's the FIX.. LOL..
Doug

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Yes, thanks for the replies and suggestions.. I think I will call Rich at ScannerMaster Monday and ask him he has one available and explain the situation, which I'm quite sure he is aware of..
Thanks again...
Doug
when you get an answer from Rich, please post back to this thread. i am also in the market for this scanner but now way do i want to order one and then have to ship it in for a fix. this is ridiculous and uniden has lost points with me. but, i love their scanners. haha

Soundman

You can tell by the screen when you turn on the light .If it look a light yellow then it the new one .If it bright white then it the old version . That what mine look like when I get mine fix .

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
Update.. went and picked up a new 436 today.. the company I bought it from, which I will not mention said they just got in a new shipment.. they do lots of volume so we assumed it had the SreenFix brightness issue resolved, but to no avail.. The screen just looked Dim and not Bright, very, very bad.. in fact, unbelievable that Uniden would think that's acceptable.. and it had no yellow in it.. so I passed.. Darn, such a awesome scanner otherwise.. last four digits of Serial Number are: 5531 which was the rumor of the
latest.. OH WELL.. it did have firmware VERSION 1.09.02

I guess I will have to live with the WS1080, which is very good as well.. it has a AWESOME bright screen, but the only complaint is that is doesn't have Close Call.. I will just have to go without it.. <smile>
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.