Raspberry Pi Broadcasting Stereo Feed On Both Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jweschler

I just set up my Raspberry Pi and it is broadcasting both my scanners on both channels instead of one scanner on the left and the other on the right. I have darkice channel set to 2 (stereo) as per the instructions. When I had my scanners connected to my PC it was working properly so I know my cables are right. Anyone have any idea what is causing this?

frazpo

I just set up my Raspberry Pi and it is broadcasting both my scanners on both channels instead of one scanner on the left and the other on the right. I have darkice channel set to 2 (stereo) as per the instructions. When I had my scanners connected to my PC it was working properly so I know my cables are right. Anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Need to elaborate on your cabling. Your using a usb soundcard for the Pi right?

jweschler

Need to elaborate on your cabling. Your using a usb soundcard for the Pi right?

Both scanners output from 1/8" jack adapted to RCA jacks, RCA cables to wye adapter. Wye adapter has 2 RCA left and right inputs (red and white) to 1/8" jack which plugs into USB sound card. I know the cabling is correct because this setup was connected to my PC for years and worked properly. I followed the instructions to a tee found here:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Raspberry_Pi_Broadcastify_Image

The raspberry pi works great except for the stereo problem.

Yes, I'm using a USB sound card for the raspberry.

frazpo

The difference may be in the design of the USB soundcard compared to your computer soundcard.
Maybe someone will chime in here and explain it better than I can. I had similar issues with the USB soundcards and certain scanner headphone ports.
But it sounds like you have it setup correctly and it should work

Last edited:

frazpo

I think it is the USB soundcard and how it's wired. If your using a cheap one that may be the problem. can you see the sound illustrated in alsamixer when audio is going in? if u connect just one scanner can you see both channels in alsamixer showing audio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frazpo

From what you have explained and the troubleshooting you have done I think you will find that your usb soundcard isn't capable of true strereo mic input. I have read that some do and some don't. I am may be wrong but seems to make sense.

jweschler

I think you might be right. I bought the cheap $4 sound card off amazon as per the instructions on the Wiki page. I will buy a higher quality one. Thanks for your help.

jweschler

I bought a new USB sound and it is still broadcasting mono. Has anyone else been successful broadcasting a stereo feed using the Raspberry Pi???

k9swx

Feed Provider
I'm using this sound card on my Raspberry Pi to stream a stereo stream.

http://amzn.com/B000KW2YEI

I have 2 - BC350A's hooked up to it, one on the left and one on the right channel. I didn't have much luck with the cheap USB sound cards and the stereo stream.

jweschler

I'm using this sound card on my Raspberry Pi to stream a stereo stream.

http://amzn.com/B000KW2YEI

I have 2 - BC350A's hooked up to it, one on the left and one on the right channel. I didn't have much luck with the cheap USB sound cards and the stereo stream.

I bought and installed this sound card. The audio quality is much improved but it still broadcasts mono.
Im beginning to think there is something wrong with the raspberry pi software.

Status
Not open for further replies.