adsbsharp alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

razorseal

Hello fellow forumers.

Recently I've been very interested in wanting to try out tracking planes near my house (live close to a major airport) with ADS-B. I just got my R820T2 rx unit and want to try using planeplotter (or w/e avail) to track the planes near me. I installed the unit as a winusb with zadig, but now I'm not sure how to tune the thing to listen on 1090mhz. Apparently adsbsharp tunes the rx to 1090, but it seems to be not around anymore. can anyone point me in the right direction? I've been googling, but came up empty handed so far.

br0adband

It's been deprecated, basically, by the developer himself because he believes there are better alternatives available (which is true). There's RTL1090 which is probably the most popular ADS-B tool out there, and many others. You can find more info from this RTL-SDR page (about 1/3rd of the page down they start talking about application software):

RTL-SDR Tutorial: Cheap ADS-B Aircraft RADAR - rtl-sdr.com

You can still find ADSBSharp if you really look for it as there are still older versions of SDR# out there available even in spite of the developer doing his very best to have them all removed from the Internet wherever they're found.

razorseal

It's been deprecated, basically, by the developer himself because he believes there are better alternatives available (which is true). There's RTL1090 which is probably the most popular ADS-B tool out there, and many others. You can find more info from this RTL-SDR page (about 1/3rd of the page down they start talking about application software):

RTL-SDR Tutorial: Cheap ADS-B Aircraft RADAR - rtl-sdr.com

You can still find ADSBSharp if you really look for it as there are still older versions of SDR# out there available even in spite of the developer doing his very best to have them all removed from the Internet wherever they're found.

ok got it. It appears my RTL1090 is working and I'm getting some aircraft. However, I can't seem to have RTL1090 talk with Planeplotter. they're both on the same localhost and port (31012)

razorseal

ok well I got ADSBScope connected and planes are showing up on the list, but not on the map.. any ideas?

the airplane box is checked in view.

something to do with that T-out maybe? not sure why it would be. Looks like i got 1 plane showing up now

Capture.png

br0adband

I couldn't say, personally, never had any interest in ADS-B monitoring but it is a very popular use for RTL sticks these days. Entire forums about using ADS-B hardware (which includes the RTL side of things to cut costs while still providing workable solutions) exist, as well as specialized hardware that's used to supply sites like FlightRadar24.com and many others with that constant stream of information in our "need to know right now" world.

I did make a 1090 MHz dipole in the recent past from some coat hangers and a 300-to-75 Ohm adapter converted straight through (I removed to toroid cores) and it most definitely yanked in ADS-B signals extremely well but, in the long run that aspect of the monitoring hobby holds no interest for me. I do like listening into air traffic, however, just not interested in where the planes are. If I have a need to know then I'll hit FlightRadar24 to find out.

frazpo

Virtual Radar Server works really well also. It can be used with rtl1090 also and is very popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satboy8888

Compare your results to something like flightradar24, it will help you determine your range and if there is actually something around you to be seen. Also be aware that not all planes / listings contain lat/long to be able to be plotted properly. Sometimes all they'll have is a callsign and altitude.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Antenna type and height is everything with ADSB reception.

Once you get some experience, check out Flightradar24 and Flightaware. You can get free accounts with them if you share data. And if you don't want to keep it running on your PC all the time, it's very easy to set up a Raspberry Pi to not only share data with those services but you can still use Virtual Radar or your browser to see what your receiving. Plus, with the Pi, you can put it anywhere you want as long as you have power and wifi access, that way you can optimize your antenna location.

frazpo

Antenna type and height is everything with ADSB reception.

No doubt about that. I have homemade ground plane homemade from a PL259 plug with some copper elements (shown below) and an amp and mounted about 20 ft ASL. I heat shrinked the elements and water proofed the plug for outdoor installation.
My range differs with direction but I get hits at 250 miles +.
ADS-B decoding has been a blast with the Pi. There is a lot of development going on with the web gui with Dump1090 on the Pi. Flightaware forum is a good place to read and learn about installing the different packages. Flightaware also is also a good site to feed to for good graphs and stat keeping.

ADS-Bexchange is a great site to feed to also. This can be done with any pi setup running piaware and a few lines of commands.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,014
  • heatmap.jpg
    heatmap.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,102
  • IFR.jpg
    IFR.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,065
  • tracks.jpg
    tracks.jpg