• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TYT MD 380 Monitor Mode Questions and Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per the Author of the Firmware release:

Here the description regarding IMG/BIN
"The output files have a .img extension when unencrypted, and a .bin extension when packaged for the official firmware updater."
If you use the Tytera Updater you need .bin

Here is a description of the files and procedure.

* prom-public.img and prom-public.bin: patched to monitor all talk groups.
* prom-private.img and prom-private.bin: patched to monitor all talk groups, private calls.
* experiment.img and experiment.bin: patched to monitor all talk groups, private calls, and sideload alternate firmware.

You can install any of these patched firmware files into your MD380 by using the respective .bin file with the Ty$

* Turn off your MD380 using the volume knob.
* Attach the Tytera USB cable to the SP and MIC ports of your MD380.
* Attach the Tytera USB cable to your host computer.
* Hold down the PTT and the button above the PTT button (*not* the button with the "M" on it).
* Turn on your MD380 using the volume knob.
* Release the buttons on the radio.
* The status LED should be on and alternating between red and green, indicating you're in flash upgrade mode.
* Start the Tytera "Upgrade.exe" program.
* Click "Open Update File" and choose one of the .bin files produced from the process above.
* Click "Download Update File" and wait for the flash update process to finish. It takes less than a minute.
* Turn off your MD380 using the volume knob.
* Disconnect the USB cable from your MD380 and host computer.
* Turn the MD380 back on, and you should see the "PoC||GTFO" welcome screen. You're running patched firmware!

[QUOTE
* prom-public.img and prom-public.bin: patched to monitor all talk groups.
* prom-private.img and prom-private.bin: patched to monitor all talk groups, private calls.
* experiment.img and experiment.bin: patched to monitor all talk groups, private calls, and sideload alternate firmware.[/QUOTE]

I have a few questions before I upload the Promiscuous Mode .bin file aka Monitor Mode to the MD 380.

1. After I have uploaded, for this example lets say "prom-public.bin" to the radio. Will the Display show the Talk Group number that it receives when in Monitor Mode on the Screen?

2. Safe to Assume that in my created Code Plug I will need to Create a Channel with a Frequency, Time Slot, and Color Code information before I can use the Monitor Mode?

3. When above has been completed, will I be able to Scan in my Scan List the following example with the hopes of showing ALL unknown Talk Groups that use those combinations or is Scanning while on Promiscuous Mode NOT available on Version 1.0 at this time:

444.800 Time Slot 1 Color Code 5
444.800 Time Slot 2 Color Code 5

4. I am not familiar on how or when to use "Private Calls". Can someone provide an example of this? (Safe to Assume they are not referring to North America, World Wide, Regional talk groups with this)

Great Addition MtnBiker... Hopefully more people will post their experiences....

I'll be doing one of the uploads tomorrow when I get home from work.

jpb

Premium Subscriber
UPGRADE.EXE Norton Security Warning

Norton flags and quarantines UPGRADE.EXE as a threat identified as WS.Reputation.1

It appears that this may be a warning for an unknown and therefore dangerous file, but I am a bit wary of running a program that Norton deleted without prompting. Has anybody run this yet? Results?

kd5vjn1307

So far...

I have been able to monitor a business nearby, it seems that you do have to select the correct timeslot, and color code, but it will allow any talkgroup to come through... with one exception. I have not been able to receive anything from a connect plus system, on any channel... anyone else have the same result or know what i'm doing wrong?

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
It sounds like the CS-750 is a better choice for monitoring. It will decode and display the color code and talkgroup. The hacked MD-380 just opens the audio but you don't know what TG you're listening to.

I'm holding out for a while, but am hopeful for future firmware development.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I have been able to monitor a business nearby, it seems that you do have to select the correct timeslot, and color code, but it will allow any talkgroup to come through... with one exception. I have not been able to receive anything from a connect plus system, on any channel... anyone else have the same result or know what i'm doing wrong?

All I have around here are Connect+ systems. And my Tyt MD-380 with any of the three versions of experimental firmware do not pick anything up. Timeslots / color codes are correct.

Mike

jpb

Premium Subscriber
UPGRADE.EXE Appears OK

Norton flags and quarantines UPGRADE.EXE as a threat identified as WS.Reputation.1

It appears that this may be a warning for an unknown and therefore dangerous file, but I am a bit wary of running a program that Norton deleted without prompting. Has anybody run this yet? Results?

I bit the bullet and forced Norton to trust the file. I can't be sure something "under the hood" isn't malicious, but the firmware upload worked. I have not yet ascertained how to leverage this new found secret power.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Can anybody tell me if the MD-380 should be able to copy audio from Connect Plus voice channels?

I am using the experimental firmware and have frequency+timeslot+CC correct for each of the four frequencies of a local ConnectPlus site. So I have 8 entries programmed in. I've yet to be able to hear audio.

Interestingly, I also programmed in a conventional 440 mhz simplex channel, and I monitor with SDR# and DSDPlus. When I key up, it certainly sees it is a DMR transmission but DSD has yet to decode any of my audio.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Interestingly, I also programmed in a conventional 440 mhz simplex channel, and I monitor with SDR# and DSDPlus. When I key up, it certainly sees it is a DMR transmission but DSD has yet to decode any of my audio.

Mike

Scratch that comment of mine. I'm getting audio when I transmit. Must be pretty dirty though as DSDPlus bails out on it after while.

Still wondering if I should be able to monitor voice traffic on a ConnectPlus VC

Mike

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Well I'm following all instructions to load the prom-public.bin file. The firmware update appears to complete properly. When I restart the radio I do not see the "PoC||GTFO" screen.

I tried programming both slots of our regional transit authority's conventional DMR system on 453.425 CC1, but while I'm copying activity clearly via DSD+ I'm hearing nothing via the MD380. The radio continues to work fine for pre-existing programming. Under Firmware Ver: it is showing D002.032, which I understand is what this firmware is built on.

I had originally tried the private.bin but it failed in midstream and I started over with the public file. I have a feeling something went wrong at the firmware update level. Does anyone have any input? If so, thanks.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Well I'm following all instructions to load the prom-public.bin file. The firmware update appears to complete properly. When I restart the radio I do not see the "PoC||GTFO" screen.

I tried programming both slots of our regional transit authority's conventional DMR system on 453.425 CC1, but while I'm copying activity clearly via DSD+ I'm hearing nothing via the MD380. The radio continues to work fine for pre-existing programming. Under Firmware Ver: it is showing D002.032, which I understand is what this firmware is built on.

I had originally tried the private.bin but it failed in midstream and I started over with the public file. I have a feeling something went wrong at the firmware update level. Does anyone have any input? If so, thanks.

I had that chinese upgrade app bail out on me more than once. But I just repeated it and successfully uploaded all three versions of exp firmware at different times. I've just never been able to get it to copy anything.

My understanding though is that you have to program the frequency twice, once with each timeslot, and that you have to have the color code set. Other than that, supposedly it will work.

The only DMR I can try it on is ConnectPlus VCs, and I haven't had any luck hearing audio.

Mike

KC1UA

Database Admin
Thanks Mike,

I did find the PoC||GTFO "picture" once I changed the start up screen settings in utilities, so it is definitely loaded with the firmware; I just sent the experiment version to it. That said, on the aforementioned conventional system I have each slot with the proper color code programmed but I'm not hearing anything when there is clearly activity present.

At this point either it just doesn't like me or I have something set wrong somewhere in that quirky software that it doesn't like, such as contact list, scan list, zone, who knows. I'll keep at it.

Thanks.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Quirky is an overly kind word. I think it's nightmarish. I didn't do anything with scanlists or grouplists. I just manually turn the knob to the frequency. Based upon the description of the firmware, you shouldn't need to have any groups programmed in or have it in a scanlist or anything.

Out of the many posts I've read all over, I've never seen anybody really comment that the firmware works. Pretty odd if ya ask me.

Mike

KC1UA

Database Admin
It's working. My issue was a combination of having the MD380 in a bad spot for a marginal signal, and trying to be too cute with unnecessary channel settings. What I thought was the signal on the S-meter was hash from being in the middle of two PC's.

I now am scanning both slots of the system I spoke of. The only settings that need to be filled in for the channel are as follows:

1. RX Frequency
2. Channel Name (I suppose optional but not sure why anyone would leave it empty)
3. Check off RX Only box
4. Enter color code
5. Enter slot
6. I also created a zone and placed both channels in it, and created a scan list and did the same.

It is using the list of TG's for this system that I previously had added, and they do show up on the display. I would guess that any unknown talkgroups would not display on the screen.

Not sure this is a huge advantage over what I was using it for before, but it may be the start of some really good stuff for this el-cheapo radio.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
It's working. My issue was a combination of having the MD380 in a bad spot for a marginal signal, and trying to be too cute with unnecessary channel settings. What I thought was the signal on the S-meter was hash from being in the middle of two PC's.

I now am scanning both slots of the system I spoke of. The only settings that need to be filled in for the channel are as follows:

1. RX Frequency
2. Channel Name (I suppose optional but not sure why anyone would leave it empty)
3. Check off RX Only box
4. Enter color code
5. Enter slot
6. I also created a zone and placed both channels in it, and created a scan list and did the same.

It is using the list of TG's for this system that I previously had added, and they do show up on the display. I would guess that any unknown talkgroups would not display on the screen.

Not sure this is a huge advantage over what I was using it for before, but it may be the start of some really good stuff for this el-cheapo radio.

Since I've yet to get any confirmation elsewhere, you don't happen to have any active Con+ systems in your neck of the woods that you could monitor one of the VCs on and see if you get voice, do you?

Thanks for the details though. At least we now have confirmation from somebody on here that the firmware actually works.

Mike

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
can you come up with any DMR systems in the Hartford, CT area this will work on besides amateur radio. the. I found Rennsalier Field but they are only there in the fall during Football. if you do please let me know. otherwise my radio works the same as before I believe.

Alec
N1AJW

Status
Not open for further replies.