Uniden BC785D & Uniden BC796D on 700 MHz P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3RADIO

Hello All,

This is a question for the masses.

As far as I understood there is no way to make either a 785D or a 796D trunk a 700 MHz P25 system.. even with the digital card.. correct?

There are a couple guys up here claiming that they have successfully got the 785 and 796 working on the new Toronto P25 700 MHz system.. I told them it was not even possible.. but they said they had a special firmware flash..

Paul.. is it possible someone has modified the firmware and made it work without the blessing of Uniden.. or is the hardware missing all together?

I have interest in this because I have several friends with 785/796 units that would be floored to bring them back to life.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
BC785D and BC796D do not support 700mhz. 700mhz support can likely not be added to these scanners via firmware as there may be hardware restrictions that do not allow these radios to receive 700mhz. These scanners are 12+ years old, and I don't believe there was even any Public Safety on 700mhz when these scanners were designed and manufactured.

You will need a BCD996T or newer scanner for this system.

VE3RADIO

BC785D and BC796D do not support 700mhz. 700mhz support can likely not be added to these scanners via firmware as there may be hardware restrictions that do not allow these radios to receive 700mhz. These scanners are 12+ years old, and I don't believe there was even any Public Safety on 700mhz when these scanners were designed and manufactured.

You will need a BCD996T or newer scanner for this system.

Thanks that is what I figured.. but someone came along and claimed they could do it..

Waiting for Paul to chime in on hardware restrictions/validity of rouge firmware..

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
As far as I understood there is no way to make either a 785D or a 796D trunk a 700 MHz P25 system.. even with the digital card.. correct?

There are a couple guys up here claiming that they have successfully got the 785 and 796 working on the new Toronto P25 700 MHz system.. I told them it was not even possible.. but they said they had a special firmware flash..

Paul.. is it possible someone has modified the firmware and made it work without the blessing of Uniden.. or is the hardware missing all together?

I have interest in this because I have several friends with 785/796 units that would be floored to bring them back to life.

According to the database that system is not only 700 MHz, but is also P25 Phase II, AND virtually all the Toronto Police talkgroups are encrypted. So that's a big triple whammy against the 785/796 if police are of any interest. I think someone is spoofing you.

VE3RADIO

According to the database that system is not only 700 MHz, but is also P25 Phase II, AND virtually all the Toronto Police talkgroups are encrypted. So that's a big triple whammy against the 785/796 if police are of any interest. I think someone is spoofing you.

Its technically a phase 2 system but all fire and EMS operate in Phase I clear.. I am aware Toronto Police is out of reach.

So let me be clear...

He claims he can hear Fire and Police on his 785 & 796 and that he paid 100 dollars each radio to have a special firmware applied..

Status
Not open for further replies.