Yaesu: Yaesu FT8800 will hit repeater but won't TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwd001

Hi Guys; I have been monitoring local repeaters for some time but mostly use my radios for simplex comms. My FT 8800 works great for cross band repeating and simplex with HT's; its mounted mobile in my truck. I decided to jump in on a local repeater that's programmed in my 8800 and didn't get a response when I tried to talk to the guys on the repeater. I turned my HT onto that freq and couldn't hear my TX; it was strange. I put the repeater offset and tone into the HT (same as the 8800) and could hit repeater and tx clearly (as I got immediate responses of 5x5 by the guys on the repeater). Could there be something wrong with the tone in my Yaesu? I have it set to the correct tone/offset and ENC. I don't know what else to check. I can RX from very long distances and everything seems fine with the antenna; I think it's some setting in the radio. Again, i use simplex fine and the mic is operating perfectly. Also, it's not just this repeater, its all of them I have tried. Very confused please help.

kwd001

Yes. When transmitting I can verify the correct positive shift. I get the static tail and beep from the repeater but as long as the ptt is held down I'm not transmitting

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Make sure the tone hasn't changed. Our local repeater had no tone for a long time, then a tone, then no tone then a different tone. Kinda hard to keep up with.

Jeff.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I'd check and see what kind of wattage you're getting out of it. Also check and see how many amps it's drawing on transmit. May be something wrong with your finals.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
I would check the offset. You may have a non standard offset programed. An easy check is to hit reverse and see if the frequency is as expected. Also check both bands. Otherwise check the programing form the 'ground' up. when I first got my 8800 I experimented quite a bit and found many ways to confuse the radio (and operator :)).

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I'd check and see what kind of wattage you're getting out of it. Also check and see how many amps it's drawing on transmit. May be something wrong with your finals.

Ditto. I remember keying up my mobile rig one day and the unit would turn off then turn back on. It did that several times then I realized, it was transmitting on 75 watts straight from the battery. There simply wasn't enough power from the battery. The repeater was only about 5 miles away. I cut it down to 10 watts and everything was fine. Fortunately, I didn't kill the battery.

nonperson

I experienced the same thing with my Kenwood mobile. It would key up the repeater but no audio would go through. I had to change the Tone / CTCSS settings. I had the correct xxx.x hz code but had to change the setting on the display from "CTCSS" to "T" on the display.

On my Wouxun HT I just had to put it on CTCSS and the correct code and it would talk on the same repeaters. Never had a Yaesu so I don't know how the settings are in them but may be it could be something similar.

kwd001

That's exactly what I thought the issue was nonperson, since I have no problem with simplex. But I've gone through the menu 100 times to no avail. I'm hoping someone with yaesu experience will point out my blatant mistake

teufler

well first put in 146.520 in the mobile and the ht. If you hear yourself, radio working good. do on low power on both, maybe have to step back for desense. ok, then the the mobile put in your tines and the off set. take your ht and do this reverse so you are hearing the radio output and talking on the repeater input. If the ht is hearing, your radio, the radio is putting out something in watts. still on lows power, because of the proximity of the ht. If you don't hear your radio, but you did on simplex, recheck your off set. If you can hear your radio, but when back to normal the ht hears the repeater and you don't, recheck your tone input..If there are some repeaters that do not require a tone in your area, try that combination. .

kwd001

Thanks for the reply teufler. I'm good on 520, as that was my first check. Good idea to check tone on simplex, as my HT has a RX tone option. I checked it with the offset no tone, 88.5 (the repeater tone I'm trying to hit) and several others for good measure. Working normal. I thought maybe my radio was malfunctioning (the tone was off freq) but since I'm working the HT no problem tone encoded I'm back to square one. When i put the incorrect tone, as expected, I open the squelch but no voice just like my problem with the repeater. I have tried the repeater with no tone and ENC but still nothing. Is it possible to have such high SWR with the antenna that i can open the repeater but no voice going through? The only option left is to borrow an SWR meter and see what I'm reading; but since I have good clear transmissions on simplex from a couple miles (as far as i've tried it) I don't think that's it.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Ok I pulled out the manual for the FT8800. As everything is working simplex and you are making contact on simplex, my guess is the finals are ok and the transmitted signal is good enough to 'hit' the repeater.
Question 1 Is offset correct (magnitude and direction?) see pages 27-8 of manual

question 2 is the tone set correctly (mode and tone frequency?) see pages 29 -on this make sure you use just tone encode for Menu 41 tone squelch is for you receiver.

question 3 check menu 44 (wide/narrow) -most repeater use wide -the narrow is for compatibility with other services like public service.

If none of the above produce results see if someone can monitor your transmission and if they can, have them verify your tone by using the tone squelch on their radio. It may be that your tone is either not working or not at the proper level to 'open' the repeater. I would not try this by myself with a HT as even on low power the front end overload will likely result in false indications. get someone a mile or more away on simplex.

hope this helps

If you need a manual a pdf file is available
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...GJK_ZhnjRP6TkgEaHJOoEg&bvm=bv.112766941,d.cGc

Last edited:

kwd001

Thanks wyShack. I have the paper manual still (I bought the radio new). Offset is correct at .600 and + (as verified by successful tx's on the HT), tone is at 88.5 and ENC only (no tone squelch) and I'm on wide band. I'll see if I can talk my wife into monitoring simplex tone encoded TX's from home while I'm in the truck. I'm going to also do a factory reset just for the heck of it, as its very easy to program the memory and I don't have too much to lose. This is beyond frustrating, my cheapo HT gets right in but my high dollar remote-head-mount radio can't even communicate with repeaters.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Every ham should have a good SWR and power meter. Another thing is I didn't see any mention of type of antenna and coax used, new or old. VHF or UHF. You mention offset is set correctly but when transmitting is the repeater input frequency correct?

kwd001

Yes I ordered a SWR meter; but in this case 15' of RG8x coax brand new to a dual band ANLI WH-713 antenna mounted to a toolbox with ground strap. Yes when transmitting the shift is correct (+600hz) to the the input (147.900)

teufler

OK, 52 Worked. Pick a repeater pair, any pair. low power, no tone, use your ht to monitor your yaesu 8800 on reverse. If you can hear the radio , add a tone, you should be able to hear a hum or slight background hum. It is possible your coax is a dead short.Did you put the connectors on? If you have an ohm meter, put one lead on the center conductor of the coax, and one on the shield. You shopuld have no needle swing. A needle swing, yourt cable is shorted out. If you can remove coax from antenna, you can be sure of your readings. Also possible you have water in the coax and it might be frozen.

nonperson

Yes I ordered a SWR meter; but in this case 15' of RG8x coax brand new to a dual band ANLI WH-713 antenna mounted to a toolbox with ground strap. Yes when transmitting the shift is correct (+600hz) to the the input (147.900)

How and or where is the ground strap connected in your setup?

kwd001

Ground strap is on the antenna mount to the frame grounded truck bed (paint removed at connection). I wasn't even sure i needed it but since I had a aluminum toolbox I did it anyway. The coax is good quality with soldered connections. I have great rx. I have a 2m base station at home where i know the antenna is less than 2:1; I'll take it out of the truck tonight and give it a shot from the shack. while it's out i'll check the coax in the truck, but I have no reason to suspect it's bad.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Delete the repeater memory and start over. There must be something you are overlooking. Why keep banging your head? Your radio is obviously working just fine if you can talk to other hams.

Oh, I bet I know what it is. Make sure repeater automatic offset is turned on. You are probably transmitting simplex instead of with an offset.

Status
Not open for further replies.