BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Ok ready to buy a BCD436HP - vendor for updated unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I'm ready to buy a new BCD436HP and see there is quite a good bit of talk about getting a 'new-'updated' unit when buying lately.

If I'm understanding correctly, new/updated units have a different color (off-white) screen and a corrected time-retension/clock issue? I've looked and can't find any kind of serial number that I should be looking for 'above' or 'past' to ensure one of these units.

I'd much prefer getting one outright rather than sending in my new unit right away.

Thanks for reading and any help in my quest. :)

Robinator

I bought my 436HP from jet.com last week (which was fulfilled by buy.com) and it seems to be a later model. Serial number was 376Z580053xx . It has worked great and has no issues so far.

It works so good, I'm looking at getting a 536HP as well.

-Rob

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I bought mine from Amazon a week ago. It apparently was one of the "updated" ones, as you put it, as it has the off white screen and the firmware was only one revision behind the most current one.

Micro

I bought mine from Ham Radio Outlet, it has the new screen color and is a 5800 series. $399 with free shipping. Working fine.

Arrived from Amazon yesterday. Has the slightly yellow/creme colored display. How can I tell if it's been hand-fixed or came off the line with the new parts?

Voyager

I don't believe ANY of them are actually hand-fixed. Per UPMan they are replacing the boards en masse in order to allow for speedy returns.

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
Where did you buy it.. ?? With the 58 serial number...
Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
It's the creamy-yellow not the blue one. It's not quite as bright I don't think but after using it a few days I'm used to it. Ordered last week, received Saturday I think it was.
Thanks Much.. I will order 1 tonight from Amazon.. I will let you know..
Doug...

Voyager

Yep - a 58004xxx unit should be the newer version.

BTW, update your firmware. 1.09.02 has bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.