BCD536HP Scanner freeze - Post Clock issue repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxcom

I've noticed that since my scanner has returned from Uniden with the Clock issue that my scanner will run for a while and freeze up. It appears that the unit is stopped on a channel with an open carrier, but nothing is flashing to indicate that the unit is stopped on a channel while in scan mode. There is noa audio, evenif someone is talking. The scanner would not respond to the push of any button, or adjustment to volume or squelch. I turned the unit off, and it stays on and stuck on the channel for well over a 1/2 minute. I actually had to unplug the unit for it to shut off. After re-powering up it runs normal, but after a while will freeze up again. It could be 15 minutes later or more. Anyone else have this issue? Is there a firmware update to fix this?

D

darunimal

SD card sounds like the problem, copy files over to desktop and SD format with sdformatter and reinstall files.

Attachments

• BCD536HPfiles.jpg
    BCD536HPfiles.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 645

boxcom

Thanks for the tip. I tried to format the SD card, but for some reason, Windows would not allow it to be formatted. I tried from 2 different computers with 2 different Windows Op. Sys. No good. I went out and purchased a new SD card, formatted it, put my scanner files on it and everything appears to be running fine right now. Something must have corrupted the old SD card.

boxcom

On another note since I replaced the SD card, I'm noticing that the reaction time to pressing a button is now instantaneous. Before, there was a 1-2 second delay in responding to the command. So that SD card really must have been corrupted.

mitbr

Just a side note: If you don't use the replay function disable it in the scanner menu. This will reduce this from happening to your sd card again.
Tim

D

darunimal

Same difference. When they become corrupted, they get slow.

Not necessarily, their is the class 2, class 4, class 10 Sd cards, that are all different speeds and have nothing to do with corruption, a class two is generally considered the slowest class, 4 is considered slow class, and 10 is the fastest.

Last edited:

Voyager

And all that speed matters not when they are all beyond the speed of the device using them. I upgraded from a Class 4 to a Class 10. It didn't make any difference in the loading speed of my FLs.

But, the issue I was addressing is one that a card that is corrupted will be slow compared to a non-corrupted card of the same class.

As I said above: "When they become corrupted, they get slow." That was the issue the OP had - it was not one that his original card was always slow..

D

darunimal

When they become truly corrupted they become useless until put into a computer and reformatted or it won't work at all as OP has stated. A slow SD card is Class 2, but to each his own, good day sir.

D

darunimal

And all that speed matters not when they are all beyond the speed of the device using them. I upgraded from a Class 4 to a Class 10. It didn't make any difference

For me the Class 10 actually did make a perceptible difference in my load speeds in my BCDx36HP series scanners, since, I, actual need the slowest speed "Slow Class 2" SD cards for my Radio Shack / GRE / Whistler scanners since they don't play well with others.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Using a Class 10 card, turning off record and replay, made my 536 much more responsive to keypad and scroll knob input.

boxcom, the symptoms you describe are definitely a bad SD card. Sometimes they become so corrupt that they can't be formatted or fixed in any manner. I had that with the card that came with my first (used) 536. After about an hour of banging my head against the wall, I went out and bought a new card.

Voyager

For me the Class 10 actually did make a perceptible difference in my load speeds in my BCDx36HP series scanners, since, I, actual need the slowest speed "Slow Class 2" SD cards for my Radio Shack / GRE / Whistler scanners since they don't play well with others.

Was your old card perhaps partially corrupted? Mine was a case of a fairly new Class 4 OEM card and a new Class 10 card. Also, corruption is not an all or nothing matter. Partial corruption can and does occur.

Voyager

Can you cite specifics? How long did the old card take to load the FLs and how long for the new card?

fenderblue

What do if you suspect a bad card---I have some times that a FList is shown on the screen but it does not have any traffic all of the other ones do. If I disable all but that one it is back to the no list scan etc. I took my laptop to the car and reprogrammed, main reason is that I can't always get the SD out or in very easy.

D

darunimal

What do if you suspect a bad card---I have some times that a FList is shown on the screen but it does not have any traffic all of the other ones do. If I disable all but that one it is back to the no list scan etc. I took my laptop to the car and reprogrammed, main reason is that I can't always get the SD out or in very easy.

This sounds more like there is an issue with a favorite list that you created than anything else, You need to double check that if it is a Digital System (of any flavor) that the Department Quick Key (DQK) is enabled for the Site Quick key(SiQK) to work since both DQK & SiQK are they actually the same Quick Key (they are the lowest level QK) that have to be enabled to Scan a Digital System.

More of a side note, is increasing hold time may help but if it blips right by, then the Digital System could be to distant for the system to be picked up, remember newer digital systems tower are pointed towards the center of their county.

fenderblue

How do you know what class you have? Is it the number circle on card. 3 of them are scandisk, 4-8gb, and another breed is PNY which does say class 4, it was cheaper in Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.