What is up with Lavallette Police in Ocean County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTU215

Recently, Lavallette Police started transmitting (on a regular interval) what sounds to be a digital station identifier. Has anyone else heard it? What's up? I also heard that Lavallette is switching over to a brand new radio system - police, fire and ambulance - when they finish the move into the brand new municipal hall. The word is that they will abandon Ocean County for fire and EMS dispatch services and take it all over. Does anyone have any scoop? Will the frequency change or remain the same? Is Ocean County Sheriff's Office going to continue to dispatch for the fire and EMS? I heard that the police department will take over and dispatch for all three groups when the new radio system is up and running. Thank you in advance for any information and background that you can provide to me.

elias1988

Feed Provider
New radio system is MotoTRBO and it's being used occasionally,I highly doubt they will move away from county dispatching for fire and EMS.

CTU215

Very good. What frequency are they operating on? My sources are very close to insiders on the switch. The fire and first aid was previously dispatched by local police. They are looking to maximize control and utilization of resources. The police activity is very slow in the off-season and this additional activity helps justify a department budget that is 50 percent of the annual Boro budget.

CTU215

The present frequency is VHF-High; I believe - but do not know for sure - the frequency band remains the same. I am seeking more intel about the new system.

CTU215

Last edited:

elias1988

Feed Provider
OK and it doesn't matter anyway since MotoTRBO isn't monitorable with any current scanner,DSD software can monitor it and a programmed DMR radio if they're not using encryption...

CTU215

OK and it doesn't matter anyway since MotoTRBO isn't monitorable with any current scanner,DSD software can monitor it and a programmed DMR radio if they're not using encryption...

OK - What happens then with all of the existing Motorola Minitor Pager/Monitors out there?!?

elias1988

Feed Provider
Nothing happens if they stay with the current UHF and VHF paging frequencies through the county,doesn't make sense for them to move off of that. Using the upcoming new 700 MHz system would be best for both fire and EMS not MotoTRBO.

CTU215

Correct - if they elect to stay with Ocean County SO for initial 911 call reception and radio dispatch. Some years ago, Lavallette Fire was dispatched by Lavallette Police. They switched to Ocean County radio to take advantage of getting all new "grant-paid" radios on the Ocean County Fire frequency. Up until Hurricane Sandy, Lavallette Police also dispatched Lavallette First Aid Squad. Ambulances have been dispatched by OCSO on OC EMS Channel 1 ever since the police department was forced out of their boro building and into construction trailers. However, my local intel on the ground reports a strong movement is floating to return the ambulance dispatch to Lavallette Police once they are fully located and operational in their new office with the new radio system in the new boro building. Stay tuned! Thank you very much for all of your great information!.

SCPD

QRT
In reply to the Pagers part, they can be used in a multi cast environment if a dispatcher selects broadcasts in analog and digital. Newer console have simulcast and multicast formats as a norm anymore.

W2SJW

Database Admin
151.430 & 158.850 would be the repeater outputs. The few LEO's that I know made the switch because they know it can't be heard on a normal scanner & all DMR radios have some form of encryption by default (I'm pretty sure they went with Moto, though!).

Status
Not open for further replies.