HP-2: "Warning - Rom Error (Sub CPU) - Brand New HP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioDude

I own both the HP1 & HP2 devices. They're great in concept but the craftsmanship is sub-par to say the least.

I've had an HP-1 since 2011. I performed all the necessary updates and rarely moved the unit (spent the extra money to purchase a fitted RAM mount and rarely removed the unit from my vehicle).

After the first year, there would be periods of time where the unit simply would not receive incoming traffic from Favorites lists I built (even when obviously within listing range). I attempted of the obvious steps of flashing the firmware, reloading / upgrading the database, etc. - none of which had any affect. I've basically ended up loading the full database and locking device on the primary source of traffic that I want to monitor.

Additionally, the solder connections on the GPS port came loose and became lodged in the Uniden GPS unit I purchased separately. I can't begin to tell you how frustrating this was....

I purchased an HP-2 (reluctantly) as I read great reviews. I built several new favorites lists, uploaded them to the device installed it in my vehicle. This week, I received the following error:

"Warning - Rom Error (Sub CPU)". When this happens, the device freezes (white background on the screen) and requires the batteries to be removed in order for it to be reset.

Uniden - Please get your act together. If you're going to charge hundreds of dollars for a purported "best-in-class" device, you should at least attempt to do so with some amount of quality.

Voyager

What you are describing is not common. I've heard of a couple other cases that had that.

That said, how are you powering the units?

dkf435

Guessing but have not been impressed with some of the surface mount soldering, put a liberal amount of 60/40 when I repaired the GPS connector.

Also just repaired an Icom PCR-100 that was giving me problems and it ended up being a cold/not enough solder joint where the flux was loosely holding the pilot voltage regulator to the board.

Been finding more bad surface mount solder joints then bad components, some times poking leads with a insulated instrument gets results.

David

Last edited:

ansky

I have been using an HP-2 for 6 months and have never seen the error message you describe. I did have one instance where the scanner would not receive any traffic in one of my Favorites lists. All I had to do was clear all user data and reload the Favorites list and it was working fine after that.

Voyager

Frankly, if this is a brand new unit as stated, I would exchange it with the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.