EMS Codes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa

I'm not sure if this is a county specific question or just general ems terminology.

When an ambulance is needed and leaves to transport a patient to the hospital, they radio in with a "Code #" then "on the red/green".
I can guess that red is with lights/sirens and green is without.

But I can't find any info on what these ems codes mean.

Is anyone familiar with what each code number means?

Sent using Tapatalk.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Codes and patient priority are used commonly, but are opposite of each other.

Code 1-low life threat, no lights, no siren=Priority 3

Code 2-potential life threat, lights, siren as needed=Priority 2

Code 3-Immediate life threat-lights & siren=Priority 1

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Codes and patient priority are used commonly, but are opposite of each other.

Code 1-low life threat, no lights, no siren=Priority 3

Code 2-potential life threat, lights, siren as needed=Priority 2

Code 3-Immediate life threat-lights & siren=Priority 1

That may be true in some parts of the country, but not necessarily in Ohio. There's not much use of the APCO codes in Ohio (apart from the ubiquitous "10-4"), and many private ambulance services use codes of their own invention. While the typical Code 1, 2, 3 meanings might be correct in this instance, there's a high likelihood that they mean something different.

For example, some entities refer to an "alpha response," "bravo response" and so on to indicate different levels of urgency.

If the OP could specify what agency he's asking about, there might be someone who could fill in the blanks.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Like what has been previously stated, Codes are different everywhere. That is why most public safety depts (police, fire and EMS) had stopped using 10 codes or signals. Now if there is anybody in Columbiana County that can verify with you, they would have better information. Also check the wiki for the area you are looking for because it could give you the information your looking for.

Last edited:

Circa

I know the 1, 2, 3 priority codes are not what we use.
As for specifying an agency, the entire County and surrounding counties all use the same codes and signals, police use sherif codes and signals.
My County also all use the same fire and police frequencies over repeaters. Some use PL tones and others use low TX power for local ops.

We were thinking that the Code number represents were they were taking the patient.

I'm wondering if anyone else could share their local ems codes and maybe my County just copied those too, haha.

Hopefully someone will come by and see this and be able share their knowledge.

Sent using Tapatalk.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
Here in my little backwoods section of NC, the ems units receive a dispatch code when dispatched. Say for example a 1delta32 romeo. I called and checked with our local dispatch office and they informed me it was a code for billing purposes for the ambulance service paperwork.

medic611

I wonder if he means the Buckeye Sheriff's codes ? Most fire and ems in Ohio use plain Language, however southern ohio seems to hang on to the sheriff's codes, Ross county is one example. 33 for 25 .....

Circa

I've tried googling without any results.
Our ems have never used a Code 1, 2, or 3. We use Code numbers 4-10 usually radioed in with beginning mileage.
Maybe it is just their internal billing codes. We speculated each hospital is assigned a number and the code # represents the hospital they are transporting to.

Sent using Tapatalk.

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
Code Red: Using lights & sirens
Code Green: Diving with traffic

Can't help you with the other code numbers as they would be specific to the agency you were listening to

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
That may be true in some parts of the country, but not necessarily in Ohio.

It may not be true in Ohio, but it should be. The NHTSA has developed a National Standard Curriculum for EMR, EMT and Paramedic. The patient priorities are presented based on acuity and is standardized at a national level. We're not talking about a fire or police department where retention is somewhat permanent and codes can be individualized. In EMS, employee turnover is significantly higher and the expectation is that those employees meet a minimum standard, and that standard is portable from company to company, both for the employee and employer benefit.

I can provide other references, but the priorities are covered on page 1029 of Brady Emergency Care 12th Edition and outlined on page 7-513 of the EMT-Basic National Standard Curriculum.

Circa

I can provide other references, but the priorities are covered on page 1029 of Brady Emergency Care 12th Edition and outlined on page 7-513 of the EMT-Basic National Standard Curriculum.

You tricked me into reading those!!! Haha!

The EMT basic national standard curriculum was easy to find with a Google search, freely available too.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.