Pinellas P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Used to have no problem monitoring public safety on the Pinellas P25 system using a Home Patrol 1 and, most recently, a BCD536HP. Started missing talk group transmissions from time to time, then more frequently, now very frequently. Confirmed correct control channel and talkgroup activity with Unitrunker.

Just received a new Home Patrol 2 and - surprisingly - behavior is similar... Sometimes transmissions are received fine; Sometimes the scanner stops on a talk group but no audio is heard (or audio is broken); Sometimes Unitrunker indicates talkgroup activity, but one or the other scanners (sometimes both) miss the entire talkgroup exchange.

External antenna vs suppied antenna makes no big difference (I can see site 5 from my residence). Actually, the external antenna might even be worse! Thinking that the signal might be TOO strong, I tried attenuation on both scanners... the signal indicator shows less signal but behavior seems no different.

I've checked all of the settings in the respective Sentinel versions and all appears OK. I've even reloaded the P25 system from the main database (rather than my Favorites list) and no difference is noted.

Has something changed? All suggestions appreciated.

- John

mitbr

Used to have no problem monitoring public safety on the Pinellas P25 system using a Home Patrol 1 and, most recently, a BCD536HP. Started missing talk group transmissions from time to time, then more frequently, now very frequently. Confirmed correct control channel and talkgroup activity with Unitrunker.

Just received a new Home Patrol 2 and - surprisingly - behavior is similar... Sometimes transmissions are received fine; Sometimes the scanner stops on a talk group but no audio is heard (or audio is broken); Sometimes Unitrunker indicates talkgroup activity, but one or the other scanners (sometimes both) miss the entire talkgroup exchange.

External antenna vs suppied antenna makes no big difference (I can see site 5 from my residence). Actually, the external antenna might even be worse! Thinking that the signal might be TOO strong, I tried attenuation on both scanners... the signal indicator shows less signal but behavior seems no different.

I've checked all of the settings in the respective Sentinel versions and all appears OK. I've even reloaded the P25 system from the main database (rather than my Favorites list) and no difference is noted.

Has something changed? All suggestions appreciated.

- John

Hi John! I live in Pinellas county and am currently listening to my hp1 on the Pinellas P25 system and everything appears normal and is scanning with no problems.

The problem you are having must be due to your location. Try moving the scanners location. Is there something new that might be causing interference in your home to your scanners?
Tim

webley445

I'm in Seminole/ St. Pete area. Reception varies, seems like there's no rhyme or reason. Sometimes I monitor only site 5 or 4. Sometimes both simultaneously. Sometimes seems one comes in better than the other, other times both the same.
Guaranteed many digitally garbled transmissions. As I grow older my hearing really misses the old system. Have tried different optimization advice, even trying a tiger tail attached to unit to aid reception (which does seems to help a little but can't say for certain).

vinnienap

Looking at the RR Database it appears that they've made some changes, the latest being 1/23/2016. Also, there are 3 talk groups listed as encrypted (1600, 1602, and 1608). Not sure if your issues are related to that or not.

8463393fe5b8a29cc2cba6c451308bb3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

esarks

I think I've experienced the same thing when I go mobile. Sometimes I hear nothing for long periods of time...(say, while at Biff Burger and that area). Although I haven't noticed a change...it's been that way for the last year, since I've owned my Trunktracker BCD396XT. I live in South Pasadena...have no problems down here. I can't figure it out either...tried an external mobile antennae...and I agree, no difference. Wish I had something useful.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Thanks for all of the signal reports and suggestions. I finally got annoyed enough to get off my a** and started taking things apart in an attempt to find the problem and found a questionable coax connector on the outside antenna feeder.

After replacing the suspect connector, reception is much improved - but it's still a little squirrelly from time to time. I can't explain why I seemed to be having the same issues regardless of whether I was using an inside or outside antenna (??).

I go to NC in the summer and the statewide P25 system that I monitor there is loud and clear 99 percent of the time. I don't understand why it isn't the same here.

Thanks again for all of the helpful comments.

-John

Status
Not open for further replies.