Butler and Hamilton County

Status
Not open for further replies.

tasdisr

I am getting ready to pick up my first scanner, probably a Uniden Home Patrol 2 and was wondering will I be able to pick up police channels? I know that some police transmissions are encrypted.

I guess I am just curious as to what I will be able to listen to besides police and EMS.

Any help is appreciated as I am new to this.

jscott02

In the database, it looks like most police traffic in your area is indeed encrypted, save for some interop talkgroups, and Cinci PD dispatch.

tasdisr

In the database, it looks like most police traffic in your area is indeed encrypted, save for some interop talkgroups, and Cinci PD dispatch.

Thanks, being new to this how do you tell if the traffic is encrypted when looking at the chart?

jscott02

Thanks, being new to this how do you tell if the traffic is encrypted when looking at the chart?

"D" for digital and "E" for encrypted. Also, if you hover your mouse over the header of each column, it tells you what each item means

tasdisr

"D" for digital and "E" for encrypted. Also, if you hover your mouse over the header of each column, it tells you what each item means

Thank you! It still looks like there would be plenty to listen to with a scanner in my area.

MBECKNELL

Premium Subscriber
for butler county you will need to load the ohio marcs ip database and add just the butler county talk groups

Nasby

The best stuff to hear are the cops. Sadly, you can't hear very many of them in your area.

I personally wouldn't spend all that cash on an HP2 just to hear the highway patrol or fire calls.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
All Police dispatch traffic in Butler County is in the clear. Only tactical and car to car comms are encrypted. That still allows for plenty of law enforcement traffic to listen to.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

tasdisr

for butler county you will need to load the ohio marcs ip database and add just the butler county talk groups

The best stuff to hear are the cops. Sadly, you can't hear very many of them in your area.

I personally wouldn't spend all that cash on an HP2 just to hear the highway patrol or fire calls.

All Police dispatch traffic in Butler County is in the clear. Only tactical and car to car comms are encrypted. That still allows for plenty of law enforcement traffic to listen to.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for your input, looks like I need to think about this purchase.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
If you are going to spend the money for a HP2 I would suggest spending a little more and get a 436HP or 536HP, they do an outstanding job on the Butler county system. A lot of users with other scanners are having issues with the LSM modulation on that system that the 436/536 handle very well.

I would also suggest attending a MONIX scanner team meeting to get more info. The north meeting is held on the second Saturday of each month at 6pm at the Middletown Donatos at 4307 Roosevelt Blvd or the south meeting held the third Saturday of each month at 6pm at the Bellevue Donatos at 15 6th St.

tasdisr

If you are going to spend the money for a HP2 I would suggest spending a little more and get a 436HP or 536HP, they do an outstanding job on the Butler county system. A lot of users with other scanners are having issues with the LSM modulation on that system that the 436/536 handle very well.

I would also suggest attending a MONIX scanner team meeting to get more info. The north meeting is held on the second Saturday of each month at 6pm at the Middletown Donatos at 4307 Roosevelt Blvd or the south meeting held the third Saturday of each month at 6pm at the Bellevue Donatos at 15 6th St.

Thanks, I was looking at the HP2 because it looks pretty easy to use. I may have to try to get to one of the Monix meetings in Middletown before making a decision.

Nasby

Thanks, I was looking at the HP2 because it looks pretty easy to use. I may have to try to get to one of the Monix meetings in Middletown before making a decision.

That's a great idea. Especially if you are considering spending that kind of money.
Both of the Uniden units mentioned have pretty hefty price tags.
The locals can probably show you their cool gear and what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.