BCD536HP - Remote Control over Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brumey

CFO (Chief Fix-It Officer)
Hello:
Is anyone successfully using the Siren app to remote control and get Audio across the Internet to your base? I am familiar with port forwarding, port triggering, etc. Would like to know if anyone has been successful and if the ports needed are documented.

I would also like to know if you can leave the scanner off and wake it over the network, internet or external (Wake on Lan)? Or, do I need to leave it on all the time to allow a remote connection?

I am about to buy the Butel app in the hope it will allow better remote control. Anyone have experience or can recommend a different solution?

Lastly, it seems to default to back light on full after a power cycle. Can this be defaulted?

I am really trying to like this scanner but have a feeling it falls short on network side of things.

Thanks,

D

darunimal

You should try proscan for 30 days free. It has more features and to me is more user friendly.

I can second that, very nice program for remote control. Successfully connect from a multitude of devices.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
ProScan wins. A simple webserver is included, and the remote client is free, if you choose to use it. Siren is fine if you want smartphone control, but the paid software (ProScan or ARC) offers much more. I would encourage you to test drive ProScan before making a purchase.

And while the 536 is a device that connects to a network, I would not consider it a network device. You need to leave it powered on, not sure where you saw it would respond to a WOL packet just because it came with a WiFi dongle.

The display options area of Sentinel is where you want to adjust the backlight.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,454

brumey

CFO (Chief Fix-It Officer)
Thanks everyone... I will give ProScan a try and hope to use TeamViewer to control a PC connected to the radio.

I did not read that WOL was supported, I just wondered or hoped it was.

Just ordered a 436 too. Gone all in. Selling my Radio Shack radios to help fund the purchase.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone... I will give ProScan a try and hope to use TeamViewer to control a PC connected to the radio.

I did not read that WOL was supported, I just wondered or hoped it was.

Just ordered a 436 too. Gone all in. Selling my Radio Shack radios to help fund the purchase.

Why do you need TeamViewer if you don't mind me asking? Remote control can be achieved using a web browser (Chrome recommended). If you're interested in Logging and Recording on the far side, you can run the Remote Scanner Over IP server (same time as the Web Server)
and use on the far side full ProScan version for remote control or the Free Client version monitor only and the browser for remote control.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
How are you folks hooking up audio for multiple scanners when using ProScan? Are you using multiple sound cards? Also, for 536HP, can you use a stereo cable to a computer sound card without blowing out the 536 speaker? I would love to run three 536s, a 996P2, and a BC780XLT in remote configuration like this using ProScan

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I take full advantage of Bob's generous licensing terms. My feed computer has two instances (I like the feature richness over RadioFeed), and "scanner computer" another has 4/5 instances running depending on what I am listening to.

I use WiFi for audio from my 536. It's worked for me without issue since it was built into ProScan. Haven't tried it with multiple units, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

USB sound dongles work great for the 996/15x on my feeds, I think I paid around $30 for four on Amazon. They can be a little quirky, but once configured properly just... work.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Dell optiplex 755 xeon 3 gig quad core 8 gig ram windows 7 pro 64.
536 wifi
996p2 left channel mike input
785d right channel mike input
436 usb sound card #1
pro197 usb sound card #2
psr410 usb sound card #3
radioshack usb programming cable #1
radioshack usb programming cable #2

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
what settings are required for you to remote over the internet?

Is that Remote Control or just remoting into RadioFeed for listening without Remote Control? RadioFeed can't do Remote Control. ProScan can do it along with the Siren App. On the remote side, are you using a mobile device or a desktop?

flubber2007

Feed Provider
YES! thats what i am looking for but how do you find out your IP? And what Port? Some I see IP and some i see url?

**EDIT: I found my external source IP? i would assume thats the IP but how do you find out port?

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
YES! thats what i am looking for but how do you find out your IP? And what Port? Some I see IP and some i see url?

**EDIT: I found my external source IP? i would assume thats the IP but how do you find out port?

The port number is whatever you put in on the server side. Port 5000 is the default. You have to config the Router Port Forwarding for your server to be accessed from the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.