Radar signals on a scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyfortress

I've been browsing through the "Signal Identification Wiki" and listened to the different radar systems. Are there any radar systems in Maryland or near MD that can be reached with a PRO-649? What frequencies do radar systems operate on? Thanks!

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Most radar systems in use for tracking and surveillance operate above 1GHz, above the range of commercial scanners.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've been browsing through the "Signal Identification Wiki" and listened to the different radar systems. Are there any radar systems in Maryland or near MD that can be reached with a PRO-649? What frequencies do radar systems operate on? Thanks!

There are radar signals in the range of what your scanner will cover, the issue is they don't use FM modulation, so what you'd hear would be a dead carrier across many frequencies, maybe buzzing, depends on exactly what you were listening to.

Depending on your location, you -might- be able to hear the PAVE PAWS military radar out of Cape Cod, it's directional away from the continental US. It's down around the 420-450 MHz range. This is commonly used by amateur radio (70cm band). It's important to note that the 70 centimeter amateur allocation is -secondary- allocation. The primary user on this band is radio location systems. Over here in California many amateur radio 70cm repeaters have been required to drastically reduce operating power to prevent interference to the PAVE PAWS system out here.

Other "radio navigation" allocations would be found in these areas:
74.8MHz to 75.2MHz. These are "localizer" beacons used for aircraft. Not really radar, but might be interesting.
149.9MHz to 150.05MHz
216MHz to 225MHz

There's others, but you can look at them yourself here: https://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/2003-allochrt.pdf
Look for the ones marked "radiolocation", in yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.