Antenna observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I have tried many different antennas with my Pro 197. Discones, scantennas and even dedicated antennas with a triplexer. I receive everything in a 60 mile radius fine in Greenville county SC. I wanted to clean up my roof and the one on the garage so I went with the Larsen tri-bander on a ground plane nmo and on the garage I put the 154 vertical on a ground plane mount. I receive just as much on these two antennas as I did with specialized antennas. Airband to 800 public safety comes in great on both. They are cabled with RG6 solid copper quad shield. So I guess my question is, do we over think antennas? It seems a simple ground plane antenna cut to your lowest frequncey will pick up anything you need.

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
No.. A pipe with a pipe cap with a 1/2" hole in it with the 3/8 24 - so 239 mount...

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
Idk i was amazed at how well it works on 124.5 and 379.2 atis 162 wx broadcasts from 40-60 miles away 800 mhz from 15-20 miles away... Its mounted at about 18 ft at the bottom of the 102....

scover5555

I have an old 5/8 VHF-Hi that I had tuned to 155 Mhz for my police two way in the 90's. It's a trunk lip and use it now with my scanner in the car. Pick up low band CHP through 800 trunking with no problem.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Ok, this has me wondering now, so I guess it is experiment time. The ST2 is going back up next weekend and will be cabled with Belden RG 11 and PPC compression fittings. Also a PCtel max rad 800 MHz mobile on a mobile to base ground plane mount with Belden 8267 coax and N connectors to a comet 413 diplexer.Both will be 25 feet up. This week I will take note of what I hear and signal strength on my pro 197 with the Maxrad 154 MHz mobile on a ground plane mount with RG6 quad shield currently 25 feet up. Next week I will try the new setup and compare.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So I guess my question is, do we over think antennas?/QUOTE]

Yeah, often. Some people really buy into the marketing. They buy antennas based off artificial gain claims. A friend of a friend insist that model/brand X is "the best". Everyone wants to own the "best", doesn't matter if that's what they have or not, everyone assumes that their choices are the right ones and apply to everyone else.

What many hobbyists fail to realize is that most public safety radio systems are designed for use with a hand held radio with a very inefficient antenna, often inside a building.

True, when you get outside the designed coverage area, you'll have issues. This is where a gain antenna can work a bit better. Unfortunately gain comes with tradeoffs. People ignore the importance of good coaxial cable, good receivers, etc.

Sometimes a simple antenna will work better, but it really depends on so many variables. I've stuck with simple 1/4 wave whips on my vehicles. Works well for me, but may not for others.

N3JI

No.. A pipe with a pipe cap with a 1/2" hole in it with the 3/8 24 - so 239 mount...
This is real similar to a coaxial dipole, which is the basis for the coaxial collinears that I have been building. I've have extremely good luck with them, and my 8 element cut for 850 is also resonant on 450 (got lucky there). It works so-so on VHF (enough to pull in many non-local NOAA signals). I don't monitor anything on VHF-low, but I would guess it would be pretty ineffective there. You might try Googling "Coaxial Dipole" -- you might be surprised at how popular it actually is (almost all of the marine and amateur VHF/UHF antennas are some form of this).

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
Ya i have made quite a few of those from coax and pvc pipe... Its fun to goof around to see what works !

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Have to wait another week, wind gusting to about 30 mph. To hard for a guy with a balance problem and a 30 foot pole.

geartow

I broke my fiberglass 2 ft scanner antenna on the work truck.soo I replaced it with a 2 ft cb antenna, it is working as well as a fiberglass scanner antenna did,for themost part. It seems to be doing better on state dot at 47 mhz and hears the uhf p25 system the same

Status
Not open for further replies.