Question about the Solarcon Antron A-99

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2GIU

I have a Solarcon Antron A-99. It was aquired as a Radio Shack version called the "RadioShack CB/Ham Radio Base Station Antenna" p/n 21-969.

It works for both 10 & 11-meters.

I have notice that most of the A-99 antennas usually have a ground ring with a few ground elements protruding out at the base. Mine doesn't have this. I got mine on clearance at the time RS was downsizing.

Anyone have this type of antenna to provide feedback about the ground rings and elements?

KC2GIU

The ground ring and radials is an add on kit and not part of a stock A99.
prcguy

Thanks. I wasn't so certain as I've seen pixs with them and without.

Wonder what the cost is to buy the ring and radial kit vs. DIY building a set?

TheSpaceMann

Thanks. I wasn't so certain as I've seen pixs with them and without.

Wonder what the cost is to buy the ring and radial kit vs. DIY building a set?
Build them out of wire for just a few bucks! I heard some hams were lengthening their A99s so they could work them on 20 and 40 meters using a tuner.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
I have an ham friend that bought the Radials in thinking that he was going to Rx more better and he said it didn't make any difference for the Receive at all and with a tuner i have heard you can work 20 meters,just heard never tried it but they are good antennas i have had 2 of them over the years.......

SCPD

QRT
Not needed

You don't need the radial kit. The antenna works just fine without it. I would run out of fingers counting the number of hams I personally know that have worked all over the place on 10, 12 and 17 with that antenna with no radials.

TheSpaceMann

You don't need the radial kit. The antenna works just fine without it. I would run out of fingers counting the number of hams I personally know that have worked all over the place on 10, 12 and 17 with that antenna with no radials.
That's true. Those radials just lower the antenna's angle of radiation somewhat. However if you increase the length of the antenna, you could get it to work on 20 or even 40 meters using a tuner.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have the I-Max 2000, the bigger brother to the A-99. I do not use the radial kit and I have had made contacts around the world; in particular on 10 meters when the sun was cooperating using 100W or less.

I know a few operators that have used the radial kit on their A-99 and they took it off, others left it on. As previously pointed out, it augments the angle of radiation down somewhat. If you plan to use the antenna for local rag chew sessions, you may find the radial kit beneficial.

As to using it on other bands that it was not intended for, yes it will work if your tuner will get you there, but expect reduced performance. For 17 meters and below I use other types of antennas and configurations.

If you get that A-99 10 meters in the air, you should enjoy the results.

prcguy

One serious problem of the A99 and similar antennas is poor decoupling between the antenna and coax/mast, so the length of mast and coax are actually part of the antenna and can radiate. One thing the radial kit can do is help decouple the antenna from the coax and mast and make for a more predictable radiation pattern and keep some RF off the coax.

On other types of antennas you can use a 1:1 choke balun and tame down RF problems but since the A99 bolts to a mast and the mast is a continuation of the antenna, a 1:1 balun won't do much.
prcguy

KC2GIU

One serious problem of the A99 and similar antennas is poor decoupling between the antenna and coax/mast, so the length of mast and coax are actually part of the antenna and can radiate. One thing the radial kit can do is help decouple the antenna from the coax and mast and make for a more predictable radiation pattern and keep some RF off the coax.

On other types of antennas you can use a 1:1 choke balun and tame down RF problems but since the A99 bolts to a mast and the mast is a continuation of the antenna, a 1:1 balun won't do much.
prcguy

Good points.

I don't have a mast on the A-99. Thus, I can do the choke. I do have the base metal sleeve part attached to a ground wire that goes to a 6ft rebar in the earth. Without the ground attachment the SWR was 1.7. With the ground attached it's 1.4. Wonder if the choke would help or not. Guess I will try it to find out.

KC2GIU

The A99 is a half wave end fed antenna nothing more nothing less. Copper Talk: Review

Read the link as to what it is

Yes, I have read that link.

I'm a bit puzzled by the statement made at that site. The person claims that the 5/8 wave does better than the A99 1/2 wave. I had recently swapped out the 5/8 wave for the A99 and seen improvements. Now, I must confess, my 5/8 wave is a vehicle magnetic mount type with a base coil.

prcguy

Your comparing a vehicle type mag mount to an A99 base antenna? There is no 10m/CB mobile antenna made that would come close to a full size 1/2 base antenna like the A99.
prcguy

Yes, I have read that link.

I'm a bit puzzled by the statement made at that site. The person claims that the 5/8 wave does better than the A99 1/2 wave. I had recently swapped out the 5/8 wave for the A99 and seen improvements. Now, I must confess, my 5/8 wave is a vehicle magnetic mount type with a base coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.