Just upgraded to Amateur Extra (without studying)

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
+++ QST +++ QST +++ QST +++ QST +++ QST +++

Yesterday afternoon, I met Rick, KR3LC (also here on Radio Reference) on our local 146.805- MHz (107.2 PL) repeater in Millersville, Maryland. He invited me to take the Extra Class exam for FREE at a local Maryland Mobileers hamfest the next morning.

I did not have the current license manual nor had I been studying for the Extra Class exam to begin with.

Long story short, I took the 50-question Extra Class exam this morning without studying and only relying on my Virginia Tech studies in radio propagation and antenna theory plus 30 years as a professional radio Engineer in various positions with various companies; including Motorola and Westinghouse.

Practical experience paid off because I ***passed*** the exam!

I really was not expecting that to happen. I actually took the test just to see how hard the Extra Class exam was fully expecting to fail the first time around. Well... Glory be to God, I walked out of the classroom this morning holding my "Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination" for Element 4 - Extra Class.

73, Dave K4EET/AE

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Good job!

Many folks are scared of the Amateur Extra exam because of the technical nature of some parts of the question pool. What they miss is that those questions are only part of the test. Given that the test is 50 questions and you need to answer 37 questions correctly, that also means that you can answer 13 questions incorrectly and still pass the test.

Glad you went for it, Dave. Now you have the freedom to transmit anywhere in the amateur radio allocations without having to worry about being out of the General portions of the bands. You also have your ticket to continue learning about amateur radio...something that I don't think you've ever stopped doing.

K4EET

Chaplain
Good job!

Thanks!

Many folks are scared of the Amateur Extra exam because of the technical nature of some parts of the question pool. What they miss is that those questions are only part of the test. Given that the test is 50 questions and you need to answer 37 questions correctly, that also means that you can answer 13 questions incorrectly and still pass the test.

Very well said!

Glad you went for it, Dave.

So am I. If it had not been for Rick, KR3LC, I would not have even considered it.

Now you have the freedom to transmit anywhere in the amateur radio allocations without having to worry about being out of the General portions of the bands. You also have your ticket to continue learning about amateur radio...something that I don't think you've ever stopped doing.

I'm gonna hit the Extra Class CW segments on 40 Meters right now...

Thanks for your well spoken words, Bob!

73, Dave K4EET/AE

K4EET

Chaplain
Nice job Dave!! Can you take the Extra test for me now LOL?
Tim

Thanks Tim! Are you a ham? Really, the tests are not all that hard. Pick up a license manual from the ARRL, Gordon West, etc. and before you know it, you'll be an Extra too! 73, Dave K4EET/AE

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I took the practice exam for the extra several years ago, just for kicks with no study time and I passed too, even though I had no intention of upgrading my license. I've had tougher tests in high school actually. Congrats. 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.