• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XPR 7550 vs Hytera PD782

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayAir

This will be a personal comparison between the two radios and is my opinion based on what I use the radios for. Your use may differ. Here's what I'm using them for:

XPR 7550- analog/digital conventional or IPSC scanning, Capacity Plus scanning, secure conventional repeater operation (AES 256)

PD 782- analog/digital conv scanning, Connect Plus scanning, secure conv rpt operation (AES 256)

I purchased a Motorola XPR 7550 (UHF) a few weeks ago and updated it to firmware R02.50.04. Motorola made decent audio improvements with this latest f/w but apparently they pulled it due to radios experiencing TX issues on Cap+ systems. Go figure.

In the last few months I also purchased two Hytera PD782's, firmware version A7.00.11.007.

The PD782 is a great radio and I'm glad I decided to give Hytera a try.
I figured I would put one up against Motorola's top tier DMR portable radio, the XPR 7550.

The XPR 7550 wins in these areas:

Built in Bluetooth

Bluetooth programming

Receive sensitivity - on distant DMR signals the 7550 will show 1-2 bars more signal strength than the PD782. On one really weak DMR signal, the XPR 7550 will unmute and show 0-1 bar while the 782 will not unmute at all. For comparison, the 782 is on par with my 6550's for rx sens.

The PD782 wins in regards to the following:

Much louder RX volume, also more pleasant sounding

Better battery life- not IMPRESsed with Motorola's 2150mAh IMPRES battery.

Front panel screen is more refined, like the SL 7550.

More durable feel

FPP: analog (freq,ctcss,dcs), digital (freq,slot,cc,tx contact,rx group list)

More useful as a "scanner"-
Excellent for Motorola Connect Plus passive scanning
Not restricted to 16 or 32 group limit in your receive list like you are with a Motorola, Tytera, or CS.

Pseudo Trunk slot setting allows the radio to monitor both slots within one frequency. If you want to isolate a slot, just use FPP and select " Slot 1" or "Slot 2" instead of "Pseudo Trunk". You can fit a large 15 repeater Con+ site in one 16 ch zone by utilizing Pseudo Trunk.

Other notes: CPS for both radios are user friendly and feature rich. MotoTRBO CPS is a bit more streamlined and the firmware updates seem easier to perform.

Security:

Authentication-
Hytera needs to implement a feature similar to MotoTRBO RAS. Hytera has optional authentication for XPT (eXtended Pseudo Trunk), but no options for conventional repeater operations.

VS-
MotoTRBO offers either basic (255 codes) or enhanced encryption (ARC4) to NA customers although AES 256 is quite possible to obtain outside of dealing with M.

Hytera offers basic and full encryption:
PD782 out of the box options:
Basic encryption key in either 40, 128, or 256 bit length (Basic uses the same key applied to each superframe over and over, no IV)
40 bit full encryption- ARC4, works with MotoTRBO enhanced privacy

PD782 at cost enc options:
Hytera proprietary full encrypt in AES 128/256 bit strength (user selectable in CPS once license is applied)

DMRA full encrypt in AES 128/256 bit strength (user selectable in CPS once license is applied). DMRA AES 256 is fully compatible with MotoTRBO AES 256.

Conclusion:

Both are excellent radios and for most uses I couldn't recommend either over the other unless proprietary or special use features are required.

Attachments

• IMG_20160130_140134550~2.jpg
    IMG_20160130_140134550~2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 5,641

N4KVE

I too have them both, & each one is better than the other in different ways. Yes, The Hytera has FPP, but in the 7 months I have owned it, I haven't needed to use it yet, but I know one day I will. The numbers, & letters on the 7550 display are much more bold, & easier to read than on the Hytera. The rx volume on the Hytera is much louder at low settings, but once you crank up the volume past 3/4 on the 7550, it catches up. The rx on the 7550 is the complete UHF band. 403-520, while the PD782 is still 2 splits. 403-470, or 450-520 mhz. I thought this would make the 7550 not as sensitive as the 782, but I swear, the 7550 has the hottest rx I have ever heard. Both radios have EXCELLENT TX audio, & I find the Hytera CPS easier to use. The Hytera CPS is free when you purchase the radio, while some people choose to pay hundred's for Moto CPS. I usually grab the Hytera when going out, but kick myself because I have difficulty reading the screen. I do like the Impres battery system on the 7550, & having the Impres battery analyzer is simply wonderful. For me, it's a wash. If you're young & have good eyes, then get the Hytera, but if you have trouble reading small numbers, get the Motorola. They both work EXCELLENT.

KJ6HCB

Interesting reading about these 2 radios, thanks for the writeups as Im new to DMR.

Will either of these radios monitor a conventional analog frequency besides the DMR stuff they do?

N4KVE

Interesting reading about these 2 radios, thanks for the writeups as Im new to DMR.

Will either of these radios monitor a conventional analog frequency besides the DMR stuff they do?
Yup. Also, the Hytera uses a SMA antenna connector, so connecting to an external antenna is simple, should it be required. The 7550 uses a new style connector with no center pin. Actually, it's similar to the old style Saber antenna connector, & no adapter really exists. Again, both radios are top of the line. I paid $500 for my 7550 which was used, but only a few months old, & 100% mint looking. I paid $275 for my Hytera which was a few years old, & almost perfect looking. Both were owned by friends who took great care of them, so I knew of their pedigree.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I'm actually awaiting a programming cable for Simoco's portables as I have access to two Xd portables and wish to compare them to my XPR6550. I know they are at least IP65 rated...I've seen them submerged before.

RayAir

I'm actually awaiting a programming cable for Simoco's portables as I have access to two Xd portables and wish to compare them to my XPR6550. I know they are at least IP65 rated...I've seen them submerged before.

Interesting. I'd like to see how the Simoco compares . I was looking at their line. Do they charge for CPS?

n1das

This will be a personal comparison between the two radios and is my opinion based on what I use the radios for. Your use may differ. Here's what I'm using them for:

XPR 7550- analog/digital conventional or IPSC scanning, Capacity Plus scanning, secure conventional repeater operation (AES 256)

PD 782- analog/digital conv scanning, Connect Plus scanning, secure conv rpt operation (AES 256)

I purchased a Motorola XPR 7550 (UHF) a few weeks ago and updated it to firmware R02.50.04. Motorola made decent audio improvements with this latest f/w but apparently they pulled it due to radios experiencing TX issues on Cap+ systems. Go figure.

In the last few months I also purchased two Hytera PD782's, firmware version A7.00.11.007.

The PD782 is a great radio and I'm glad I decided to give Hytera a try.
I figured I would put one up against Motorola's top tier DMR portable radio, the XPR 7550.

The XPR 7550 wins in these areas:

Built in Bluetooth

Bluetooth programming

Receive sensitivity - on distant DMR signals the 7550 will show 1-2 bars more signal strength than the PD782. On one really weak DMR signal, the XPR 7550 will unmute and show 0-1 bar while the 782 will not unmute at all. For comparison, the 782 is on par with my 6550's for rx sens.

The PD782 wins in regards to the following:

Much louder RX volume, also more pleasant sounding

Better battery life- not IMPRESsed with Motorola's 2150mAh IMPRES battery.

Front panel screen is more refined, like the SL 7550.

More durable feel

FPP: analog (freq,ctcss,dcs), digital (freq,slot,cc,tx contact,rx group list)

More useful as a "scanner"-
Excellent for Motorola Connect Plus passive scanning
Not restricted to 16 or 32 group limit in your receive list like you are with a Motorola, Tytera, or CS.

Pseudo Trunk slot setting allows the radio to monitor both slots within one frequency. If you want to isolate a slot, just use FPP and select " Slot 1" or "Slot 2" instead of "Pseudo Trunk". You can fit a large 15 repeater Con+ site in one 16 ch zone by utilizing Pseudo Trunk.

Other notes: CPS for both radios are user friendly and feature rich. MotoTRBO CPS is a bit more streamlined and the firmware updates seem easier to perform.

Security:

Authentication-
Hytera needs to implement a feature similar to MotoTRBO RAS. Hytera has optional authentication for XPT (eXtended Pseudo Trunk), but no options for conventional repeater operations.

VS-
MotoTRBO offers either basic (255 codes) or enhanced encryption (ARC4) to NA customers although AES 256 is quite possible to obtain outside of dealing with M.

Hytera offers basic and full encryption:
PD782 out of the box options:
Basic encryption key in either 40, 128, or 256 bit length (Basic uses the same key applied to each superframe over and over, no IV)
40 bit full encryption- ARC4, works with MotoTRBO enhanced privacy

PD782 at cost enc options:
Hytera proprietary full encrypt in AES 128/256 bit strength (user selectable in CPS once license is applied)

DMRA full encrypt in AES 128/256 bit strength (user selectable in CPS once license is applied). DMRA AES 256 is fully compatible with MotoTRBO AES 256.

Conclusion:

Both are excellent radios and for most uses I couldn't recommend either over the other unless proprietary or special use features are required.

NICE writeup comparing the XPR7550 vs Hytera PD782.

I have several Hytera PD782G portables. (G = GPS version)

One thing I found with the Hyteras is the CSQ in legacy analog mode has more hysteresis around the threshold than I would like. On a 0-9 scale in the CPS for setting the CSQ level, 0 is wide open, 1 is close to the edge, 3 is the default value for portables, 4 is the default value for repeaters (RD982 etc.), and 9 is all the way tight. I found that adjusting the CSQ threshold level tighter in the CPS effectively only adds more hysteresis which makes it almost unusable. I found the factory default value (3) in the CPS to be a little tight. I have the CSQ level set down at 1 in my Hyteras and it works well.

When you were testing Rx sensitivity, was this done with calibrated test equipment? In digital or analog mode? Bars displayed for RSSI are not calibrated, just a relative indication. If listening in analog mode and on carrier squelch, it might have been cursed by too much hysteresis if the CSQ level was at the factory default value (3).

I have customized the Talk Permit Tone in the CPS to match Moto's TPT on the XTS series (P25) portables.

I recently picked up a UHF and a VHF X1p. The X1p is Hytera's "digital covert radio" and is built real tough and slimmer than the PD782G. The X1p has Bluetooth capability. Rx sensitivity might be slightly better than the PD782G although I haven't done any calibrated measurements. The X1p has all the features as the PD782G plus more. What's weird about the X1p is when viewed from the display side, PTT is on the right side of the radio instead of usually on the left side. Feels a little weird sometimes. The radio has front and rear mics and you can program which mic to use in the CPS. LOL, now I know why I spotted Paul Walker in Fast and Furious 6 talking into the back side of an X1p. :)

Check out the X1p:
http://www.hytera.com/navigation.htm?newsId=260&columnType=product&pageType=newDetail

Nice writeup! :)

Last edited:

RayAir

Thanks.

How did you customize the talk permit tone? When I upgraded fw the talk permit tone changed to an annoying beep. I normally leave my radios on silent but I can tolerate Motorola's talk permit tone. I looked in CPS , went into tone list and all I found was sliders to adjust the pitch of the tone. Maybe I looked in the wrong place?

Rx sensitivity tests-

Unfortunately my tests were not very technical. They were basically , have the radios on in the car and note the drop off points for the frequencies I listen to. Also from home, with the radios in the same location I can receive a few DMR stations that I never could with my XPR 6550, CS700,MD380 or PD782. All rx tests were done with digital.
I have the digital squelch set to "1" in Hytera CPS.

On a side note , Motorola's newest firmware, 02.50.02 seemed to increase the rx sensitivity in my SL 7550.
I swear that radio used to be deaf unless you were right by the transmitter. I only used it to be more discrete in certain places but somehow it seems to have increased functionality after I updated the fw?

Project25_MASTR

Interesting. I'd like to see how the Simoco compares . I was looking at their line. Do they charge for CPS?

DMR Tier 2, no. Tier 3 requires an infrastructure license.

P25 requires "approval".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RayAir

Hytera basic enc notes

Playing with the Hytera basic encrypt using a 10 character key (40 bit) I noticed if you get at least 6 of the 10 base 16 right the encoded message starts to get intelligible. I used my own radios for this test.

Basic enc sounds the exact same as ARC4 or AES on the Hytera except when viewing the DMR signal, basic does not use an IV like ARC4 or AES.

I've never came across Hytera VS in the field, but do know of a "common flaw" in the implementation of 40 bit keys that could possibly make Hytera 40 bit basic enc even more vulnerable. Remember you can edit keys from the keypad, no need to connect to CPS.

128 or 256 basic would avoid this flaw. Even without an IV, you would likely be more secure using 128 or 256 basic over 40 bit full encrypt (ala ARC4, MotoTRBO EP).

Which reminds me, Hytera AES 128 and 256 bit full encrypt offers the highest in voice security with multi-key, random key encryption. Set a list of AES keys in CPS, I believe the max is 30 or 32 and the AES key changes each PTT.

That should throw a wrench in even big brothers dragnet.

RayAir

DMR Tier 2, no. Tier 3 requires an infrastructure license.

P25 requires "approval".

Do they offer CPS for download on their website? Tier 2 is all I would ever need.

N4KVE

Thanks.

How did you customize the talk permit tone? When I upgraded fw the talk permit tone changed to an annoying beep. I normally leave my radios on silent but I can tolerate Motorola's talk permit tone. I looked in CPS , went into tone list and all I found was sliders to adjust the pitch of the tone. Maybe I looked in the wrong place?
Go to user defined tone. here are the settings. 1st tone 910 hz 20 ms. 2nd tone 0hz 20 ms 3rd tone 910 hz 20 ms, 4th tone 0hz 20ms, 5th tone 910 hz 20 ms, 6th tone 0 20ms, etc. Mine sounds just like my 7550.

RayAir

Go to user defined tone. here are the settings. 1st tone 910 hz 20 ms. 2nd tone 0hz 20 ms 3rd tone 910 hz 20 ms, 4th tone 0hz 20ms, 5th tone 910 hz 20 ms, 6th tone 0 20ms, etc. Mine sounds just like my 7550.

I'll try it tonight. Thank you.

Project25_MASTR

Do they offer CPS for download on their website? Tier 2 is all I would ever need.

They do but I don't know how a user obtains log-in credentials. I'm a dealer so that's how I get that. I forgot to mention the Tier 3 licensing is only for the infrastructure so terminals (subscribers) can do it in their FPP.

n1das

Thanks.

You program custom tones in User Defined Tone under Common in the CPS.

I recorded and analyzed a NEXTEL chirp some time ago and was able to determine tone and duration. For NEXTEL phones, the tone was around 1800Hz. The Motorola TPT is around 910 or 920Hz. The tone durations appear to be the same. The Moto TPT at 910Hz is effective as a TPT but less obnoxious than the old NEXTEL DirectConnect chirp.

30ms 910Hz
20ms 0Hz (silence)
30ms 910Hz
20ms 0Hz
50ms 910Hz

Note that the 3rd tone is slightly longer than the first 2 tones.

RayAir said:
Unfortunately my tests were not very technical. They were basically , have the radios on in the car and note the drop off points for the frequencies I listen to. Also from home, with the radios in the same location I can receive a few DMR stations that I never could with my XPR 6550, CS700,MD380 or PD782. All rx tests were done with digital.
I have the digital squelch set to "1" in Hytera CPS.

Squelch level setting only affects legacy analog mode. The setting is N/A for digital mode.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Yup. Also, the Hytera uses a SMA antenna connector, so connecting to an external antenna is simple, should it be required. The 7550 uses a new style connector with no center pin. Actually, it's similar to the old style Saber antenna connector, & no adapter really exists. Again, both radios are top of the line. I paid $500 for my 7550 which was used, but only a few months old, & 100% mint looking. I paid $275 for my Hytera which was a few years old, & almost perfect looking. Both were owned by friends who took great care of them, so I knew of their pedigree.

Your right on about the weird antenna connector on the Moto, really annoying when you want to use an external or different antenna on it. I thought I read somewhere that there is an adapter is available for the XPR series, but is spendy. Don't know mother M's rationale in using a proprietary antenna connector. Very nice informational post about the two radios. May have to get me a Hytera added to my portable gear.

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Your right on about the weird antenna connector on the Moto, really annoying when you want to use an external or different antenna on it. I thought I read somewhere that there is an adapter is available for the XPR series, but is spendy. Don't know mother M's rationale in using a proprietary antenna connector.

It's the same one they use on the Apex (back to standardizing the lines). The adapter is made strictly for alignment.

Why does Motorola feel a need to move to proprietary antenna connectors again? Could be to eliminate the stupid. And by that I mean people complaining about their radios not working because the user decided to put an aftermarket "better" antenna on there. Motorola has been in the public safety game for over 8 decades. They spend millions on R&D for every model…really think they'd put an antenna on there that had room for improvement? I mean, your talking about a company that discovered a 30Ω antenna had better radiation characteristics for their HT line in the late '60s. Then again, it could also be they wanted a rugged antenna connector that wouldn't break as easily as SMA can when people pick the radio up by its antenna.

SCPD

QRT
It's the same one they use on the Apex (back to standardizing the lines). The adapter is made strictly for alignment.

Why does Motorola feel a need to move to proprietary antenna connectors again? Could be to eliminate the stupid. And by that I mean people complaining about their radios not working because the user decided to put an aftermarket "better" antenna on there. Motorola has been in the public safety game for over 8 decades. They spend millions on R&D for every model…really think they'd put an antenna on there that had room for improvement? I mean, your talking about a company that discovered a 30Ω antenna had better radiation characteristics for their HT line in the late '60s. Then again, it could also be they wanted a rugged antenna connector that wouldn't break as easily as SMA can when people pick the radio up by its antenna.

That would make sense, see lot's of first responders pickup their radios by the antenna, makes me cringe and they get a little lesson on how to properly pickup a radio. At least the XTS series use a male SMA so I can replace one or add an external antenna.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Great review and I agree with pretty much every point. Having both Motorola and Hytera radios it's nice to be able to compare them side by side. I ended up selling my 7550 in favour of my PD-782G and I haven't really regretted it (although bluetooth would be nice to have back). Once Hytera added compatibility with MotoTRBO enhanced privacy, that's when my 7550 really started to collect dust. To me, and just my person opinion, the 7550 felt a little more fragile that the Hytera. I wasn't as comfortable using the 7550 on the fireground as I was the 782. But, that being said I've notice that the Hytera is slower to unmute than the 7550 and I'm not sure why. I've played with battery saver functions and many other things but I tend to find the fire word or two gets chopped off when someone else keys up. This is with the radio parked on a conventional analog channel (not scanning either). It's a minor annoyance but I've pretty much gotten used to it. Oddly enough all out older HT750's/1250's that we have on the trucks are being swapped out for XPR7350's and 7550's now, and many other departments are using them too... so they are certainly tough enough. I just liked the feel of the Hytera better myself. I also have a Hytera PD502 (which would be their equivalent to an XPR6350). GREAT little radio... and it's literally little... nice and compact, excellent audio. Works very well for a basic no frills DMR radio (I got it for a song too on eBay... $50!). Bottom line, either radio works great and you wouldn't be disappointed.

Question... Does anyone know the going rate for AES from Hytera? I'd like to get it added to my 782 at some point.

Project25_MASTR

Great review and I agree with pretty much every point. Having both Motorola and Hytera radios it's nice to be able to compare them side by side. I ended up selling my 7550 in favour of my PD-782G and I haven't really regretted it (although bluetooth would be nice to have back). Once Hytera added compatibility with MotoTRBO enhanced privacy, that's when my 7550 really started to collect dust. To me, and just my person opinion, the 7550 felt a little more fragile that the Hytera. I wasn't as comfortable using the 7550 on the fireground as I was the 782. But, that being said I've notice that the Hytera is slower to unmute than the 7550 and I'm not sure why. I've played with battery saver functions and many other things but I tend to find the fire word or two gets chopped off when someone else keys up. This is with the radio parked on a conventional analog channel (not scanning either). It's a minor annoyance but I've pretty much gotten used to it. Oddly enough all out older HT750's/1250's that we have on the trucks are being swapped out for XPR7350's and 7550's now, and many other departments are using them too... so they are certainly tough enough. I just liked the feel of the Hytera better myself. I also have a Hytera PD502 (which would be their equivalent to an XPR6350). GREAT little radio... and it's literally little... nice and compact, excellent audio. Works very well for a basic no frills DMR radio (I got it for a song too on eBay... $50!). Bottom line, either radio works great and you wouldn't be disappointed.

Question... Does anyone know the going rate for AES from Hytera? I'd like to get it added to my 782 at some point.

I think the only real thing that drives me crazy about Hytera's portables are that most of them feature the antenna centered on the radio (it's just weird and against 60+ years of communications standards).

A local shop is about to turn on a Tier 3 system in the DFW (Decatur, Denton) area. They plan on using Hytera subscribers but are using Simoco infrastructure because Hytera doesn't currently have Tier 3 infrastructure (or didn't at the time of order). I think it is going to be really interesting to see just how Hytera subscribers perform in that Tier 3 environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.