• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK 2202

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
I have multiple TK 2202 radios that I need to program. I have 2 usb cables along with software kpg-87d and 102d, or versions close to those numbers. The model radio is in the drop down screen on the program.

My issue is that the software won't recognize and read the radios. Does this radio have to be put in program mode?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So, I don't have any info on this specific model as it's a few years older than my files go.
I can tell you that there are different market codes for the radios and the software. The market code for your radio has to match the programming software you are using. In other words, if you have a radio with a North American market code and are trying to use European market code software pulled off the internet, it's not going to work.
You'd need to list the full model number of the radio so we can help you decode it. Once we have that we can probably help you narrow down which software you need.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Here's some help.
The TK-2202 model number should be followed by a letter:
K=USA model
P=Canadian model
E=European model.
L=Scandinavia
Y=Pacific Islands
Y=AAFES
T=England
X=Australia
M="Other areas".

What I often see is one of two scenarios:
1. The radios get purchased off auction sites and they come from outside the USA. Purchaser has USA market software and it won't work.
2. The radios are purchased locally, or via auction sites and are USA models. Purchaser downloads software off the internet. "free" software is actually an out of market version and it won't work.

Knowing what radios you have and what software you have will probably clear this up.

And, no, to answer your original question, there isn't a "programming" mode that these need to be put in. They should react to commands from the PC if they are turned on.

SCPD

QRT
Knowing the 2202 is a China knock off in many cases I recall a friend buying one many many years back. He had same issue. If your using the mini cd it came with re install the software then make sure the radio is off. Plug in the serial cable or usb and then turn radio on then select read radio. May take several times. Then turn the radio off write your data in the fields as needed then turn the radio on and write to radio. If it's a legit 2202 make sure like above you have the proper software from kenwood. If you got it off ebay from China then it's probably the non certified fcc version not made by kenwood or is a legit 2202 and was re tagged not having the letter after it in the model number recased formerly a foreign version. Also make sure your com port is set properly. If I recall right kpg87d was the proper software.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
The model number on the label says TK-2202L. I couldn't find anything in the software that said what region it'seems good for, but it does list 2202 as one of the models that the software is supposed to work for.

paulears

It's fairly common for some of these radios to refuse to be programmed. the 87 and 118 versions of the software work for my Kenwoods. What I have noticed is that each model has differences in the rubber sealing strip that covers the mic socket. The upshot of this is that some plugs simply don't make contact. Do you get the check the connections message or one that says the model is wrong? If it's a connection message then the computer is unable to make ANY connection with the radio, while the other signifies the connection has been made, but the interface is unsuccessful because the radio reports a model anomaly.

I've been trying to sort this on one radio recently where the software says the model is wrong - yet in the drop downs are varying versions of frequency coverages which don't match the radio.

I'm left with the thought that the software might be regionalised? UHF in the UK would really need to be 440-465ish, to cover all our allocations, yet most of the bands in my software are a bit mismatched - 400-430, 460-480 etc - so maybe the software I have is actually American? The UK frequencies not being in the software - which generates an error? More investigation in order.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The model number on the label says TK-2202L. I couldn't find anything in the software that said what region it'seems good for, but it does list 2202 as one of the models that the software is supposed to work for.

OK, who made the software? Is it 'real' Kenwood software, or something else?
What's the exact model number of the software you are using? Check to see if there is an "about" option in the program somewhere.

Could be any one of the issues above. Since there have been some knock off radios that have been sold that are no really Kenwood, that could be your issue. Could be the software. Could be the programming cable, could be the cable not seating all the way.

Hard to tell unless we have them in our hands or really good photos.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
When I get to the "Read data from radio" window, I hit ok, then the error pops up saying "Check radio type. Retry or Cancel"

I've tried all the different radios and none of them work.

paulears

That's 50% good - it means the cable, the usb driver and the port itself are enabling communication - but the radio is returning a model the software doesn't recognise. KPG-87D, which I have, has your radio in the list. It's a shame that Chirp doesn't have Kenwood as a priority - probably because of the ease of locating the manufacturers software.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
When I get to the "Read data from radio" window, I hit ok, then the error pops up saying "Check radio type. Retry or Cancel"

I've tried all the different radios and none of them work.

Really sounds like a market code issue.
-Where did you get the radios from?
-Where did you get the programming software from?

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
Really sounds like a market code issue.
-Where did you get the radios from?
-Where did you get the programming software from?

From what I was told, the radios were purchased from a local radio vendor several years ago. The software was purchased off eBay from a company in California.

I still can't get this radio to read. I am going to try a different radio (same model) to rule out the radio itself. Other than that, I am at a loss.

When I first started programming radios for my department, I had an issue getting the Motorola pagers to read, but I was able to figure out that it was on my end, not the device. With these Kenwoods, I can't figure it out.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd be suspect of the software.
While there are some reputable firms that sell Kenwood software on e-Bay, there is always a risk.

One thing you could do would be to take one of these radios to a Kenwood shop and see if they can program them. Might cost you a few bucks, but at least it would sort that part out and let you know if it was your software or not.

Kenwood software isn't expensive. You'd probably be looking at $100 or less. I don't see that Kenwood supports it anymore, at least from what I can see. You might be able to find a shop with a known good copy.

westcoaster

Here's some help.
The TK-2202 model number should be followed by a letter:
K=USA model
P=Canadian model
E=European model.
L=Scandinavia
Y=Pacific Islands
Y=AAFES
T=England
X=Australia
M="Other areas".

What I often see is one of two scenarios:
1. The radios get purchased off auction sites and they come from outside the USA. Purchaser has USA market software and it won't work.
2. The radios are purchased locally, or via auction sites and are USA models. Purchaser downloads software off the internet. "free" software is actually an out of market version and it won't work.

Knowing what radios you have and what software you have will probably clear this up.

And, no, to answer your original question, there isn't a "programming" mode that these need to be put in. They should react to commands from the PC if they are turned on.

OLD THREAD REVIVAL WARNING!!!!!

Looking at purchasing a used TK2202L

The sticker on the back of the radio has both Industry Canada and FCC ID's

Dumb question.... Would a radio made and marketed for market code "L" still have IC and FCC id's on it?

Reelfishguy

I believe the original TK2202s were shipped with a NiMH battery, and then Kenwood started shipping them with a lithium battery that had the TK2202L on the front label of the case. They were "K" radios for the US market. Still sounds like a software issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.