Ocean County Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvation

I have a quick question. I am going to be getting another scanner to just deal with ToneOuts for Ocean County Fire/EMS.. I would like to stay with the least expensive scanner as I am within 300 yards of the Tuckerton tower and don't need anything elaborate. I am looking at just getting the BCT15X to do the duty but I worry that in a few years Ocean County changing to a P2 system and it no longer working for what I want it to do. If Ocean County switches to a P2 system, do you think their dispatch system will also move or do you think it will remain where it is? If there is a chance it will move to a P2 system then I will look at the BCD996P2 instead.

elias1988

Feed Provider
Yes Salvation is correct,companies including mine have to come up with funding for the new 700 MHz radios through grants and/or through their local towns so it's probably gonna be a while for the migration to be completed like how it was going from low band to the current UHF system.

so ocean cty isn't moving to 700mhz?
if they are whats moving to the 700mhz?

Dispatch (tone outs) are pretty much a one-way operation, so receiving anything from the field on that frequency wouldn't be as important as the other frequencies/talk groups. They probably could have kept toning out on 33 MHz if equipment were readily available.

There's a long history of Ocean County and other agencies on UHF T-Band receiving tropospheric ducting of television stations. The one affecting Ocean County is in Boston and under the right conditions ducts right down the coast pretty much unobstructed. The problem has gotten worse with digital TV producing a solid block of digital within their channel. If you notice the other UHF channels, those were an attempt to have a backup plan. Going to 700 removes television stations from the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.