Need suggestions on mobile scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeez

I live in bucks county and I'll be switching jobs in 3 weeks, and I've been meaning to replace my bcd396xt since they switched over to PII. I'm going to purchase a bcd325p2, does anyone know if I can use a gps antenna to have the scanner switch around between agencies as I travel north, I'll be commuting to florham park NJ twice a week. If I can do that, what is required to purchase?

On a side note, I've been meaning to pickup a ham license and maybe a Kenwood TM-D710G or a TM-281A just to muck around with. Trying to get something small in my car, I don't want to chop my car up to mount things all over, so its probably going in the glove box :)

radio3353

Just be aware that receiving the Bucks PII system while mobile can be extremely challenging since it is a simulcast system. Have you read the Bucks County 700 MHz Phase II thread here on this forum for an idea of what people have been experiencing?

jbeez

Yes, I was mostly just interested in picking it up while I was actually in the area. Once I cross the bridge I wanted to switch to the NJ frequencies of whatever area I was going to be moving through. Do you pick up the new system currently? If so what are you using for it?

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I think you would be better off getting the scanner you want and programming favorite lists for the areas you travel to. I use a BCD-436hp in my car and have about 45 favorite lists programmed and just turn them on or off as needed.

jbeez

That's what I did with my 396xt, i had bucks and montco and would just turn montco on and bucks off as i crossed over on the turnpike, i never ended up doing the GPS thing with that one

radio3353

Yes, I was mostly just interested in picking it up while I was actually in the area...

But, that's the problem. It can be difficult to receive while in the area because of simulcast problems, especially when mobile and traveling between antennas. I do not have any Phase II capable scanners so I do not currently monitor Bucks Co. other than the central fire band repeater on 153.905.

My point is just be prepared to be disappointed, especially after shelling out $400 for a radio that may or may not work consistently with the new Bucks system. Do your research.

jbeez

Thanks, I think I'd rather roll the dice and have a chance at coverage than not have a radio capable of even touching it. I mean the alternative is to not even have the capability to receive it right?

radio3353

Thanks, I think I'd rather roll the dice and have a chance at coverage than not have a radio capable of even touching it. I mean the alternative is to not even have the capability to receive it right?

Yes. I am sure you can return the radio if it does not work out. Just keep all the packaging material.

Please report back in this thread with your experience. It helps everyone if we build a data bank of individual experiences with this new system.

bobs

Premium Subscriber

If Bucks County is the primary reason for buying a new scanner be prepared to be very diappointed.

jbeez

Thanks, so just any scanner will suck with bucks it sounds like?

The main reason for my scanner purchase is to add the ability to pickup PII areas, not just bucks, any of the new systems coming online where ever my commute is going to take me through. So once I figure out all the areas, I can get them programmed in and hope for the best, nothing else I can really do about it it seems.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I would not say they all do a poor job. A lot depends on where you are in relation to the towers and if you are picking up several at one time. I am pleased with the reception on my 436. I am still learning some of the finer points of it. I use mine in the car with a Larsen 150-450-800 antenna on a magnetic mount.

I have a bigger problem receiving Philly when I am in that area and my PSR800 does not do as well on the Bucks system.

Individual results are bound to vary.

radio3353

jbeez,

As you can see, you are not going to know how well this will work out for you until you try. Since you seem to be willing to shell out many dollars anyway, then go for it. Please let us know what you buy and how it is working. Thanks.

jbeez

Thanks for all the replies. My options were setting up a home rig and streaming the bucks portion to my phone for commute, didn't really care to do that, but I think I'll get the bcd325p2 when it goes on sale. it was on amazon for about $339 a few weeks ago, its not in stock there at this moment. I'm not in a rush so I'll just hang in until that happens again and pick one up.

One of these isn't even an option right? Motorola apx 7000 Radio Model H97TGD9PW1AN FPP w XE RSM Mic NNTN8203A | eBay heh

Septa3371CSX1

Thanks for all the replies. My options were setting up a home rig and streaming the bucks portion to my phone for commute, didn't really care to do that, but I think I'll get the bcd325p2 when it goes on sale. it was on amazon for about $339 a few weeks ago, its not in stock there at this moment. I'm not in a rush so I'll just hang in until that happens again and pick one up.

One of these isn't even an option right? Motorola apx 7000 Radio Model H97TGD9PW1AN FPP w XE RSM Mic NNTN8203A | eBay heh

Actually an APX is an option if you're willing to spend the money. There are ways to set these up for passive monitoring and you'll be able to hear the Bucks system loud and clear with no distortion. I would not recommend it for everyone though as these radios require strong knowledge when being used.

jbeez

Ended up ordering a BCD436HP, I read it had some better FM filtering, I do like the smaller form factor on the 325 but w/e we'll see how it goes. My scanner should be arriving today, anyone interested in a 396xt :)

jbeez

the 436 sounds pretty good, at least at home so far. I haven't been out and about yet. Had to download sentinel on a netbook and update the scanner before it would pick anything up, I guess the sdcard had old data on it as shipped. Just have to get more used to the differences now between this and my 396 I'm used to

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
The 436 has a steep learning curve but then so did the 396XT. I have one of them on the shelf too. It is a matter of trying things and seeing what happens. I am very pleased with the reception of mine- wish the AGC worked as advertised though.

Status
Not open for further replies.