Who's bilingual here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Looking for someone who is familiar with the way Uniden programs work.

I'm thinking of getting a WS1095 but before, I need to find out if Whistlers object oriented scanning is better suited for my purpose.

Currently, I monitor a P25 TRS. This system has several sites, each handles at least one department. The one I'm concerned with is the PD.

The PD has channels for each station/district, along with car to car talk, marine, swat, etc.. In my Uniden scanner I've made up a master list that scans the radio site for the police department only and every talk group assigned to it.

There are times, though, when I'm interested only in listening to just a few of the tg's. In my case, for example, I might need to listen to three stations along with their car to car channels: a total of 6 channels.

In Uniden, this means I have to make an individual list for each station so that now I have a list for, say station one with the site and two tg's. So far so good but remember I have to repeat the above two more times.

This means the scanner has to scan thru the same site 3 times to listen for the 6 channels.

Wondering if with Whistler's object oriented scanning I can make these 3 lists but only need to program the site once and have the scanner go thru each list individually but while looking only once at the site.

Thanks.
Gilberto.

Swipesy

The short answer is yes.

With Whistler you (1) setup the System with Control and Alternate frquencies, (2) you create Talkgroups that you then assign to the System through ScanLists. You can have upto 200 ScanLists and you can assign Talkgroups to more than one ScanList if you so choose. So you can have a ScanList with all the PD TG's in it and then another ScanList with just some of the PD TG's in it. You then enable or disable the SL you want to listen to.

Gilligan

Database Admin
And would it then be correct that when the radio is scanning, it only scans each site of each system once per cycle and includes activity on all active talkgroups from the selected scanlists? In other words, it determines which talkgroups will be scanned for each system before actually scanning the system...?

Swipesy

And would it then be correct that when the radio is scanning, it only scans each site of each system once per cycle and includes activity on all active talkgroups from the selected scanlists? In other words, it determines which talkgroups will be scanned for each system before actually scanning the system...?

I believe the scanner scans all enabled systems, whether or not Scanlists are enabled. So if you have 4 systems enabled the scanner reads all system programmed control and alternate channels. If a Scanlist is enabled that has Talkgroups associated to the system then you only hear the enabled Scanlists Talkgroups but the scanner passes by all enabled Systems.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I believe the scanner scans all enabled systems, whether or not Scanlists are enabled. So if you have 4 systems enabled the scanner reads all system programmed control and alternate channels. If a Scanlist is enabled that has Talkgroups associated to the system then you only hear the enabled Scanlists Talkgroups but the scanner passes by all enabled Systems.

Just curious, why would the scanner scan systems with nothing enabled? Wouldn't that be very inefficient for scan cycle time and essentially result in more missed transmissions?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

I believe this is incorrect. As pointed out, it would very inefficient for a scanner track a trunked system if it is not enabled. The Phase I Object Oriented scanners do not scan systems that are not enabled. Doing so would instantly make any of the newer Phase II Object Oriented scanners inferior to the older Phase I scanners in terms of scan time.

SCPD

QRT
Just curious, why would the scanner scan systems with nothing enabled? Wouldn't that be very inefficient for scan cycle time and essentially result in more missed transmissions?

I don't think that he really meant to say that .. as it contradicts his previous comment.

The scanner .. scans the scan lists that are enabled. Pretty simple.

The Whistler OOP method works very well.

Swipesy

I did mean to say that. I think Whistler radios scan ALL Systems that are enabled. So if you have 5 different P-25 Systems enabled with 1 ScanList for each System (5 ScanLists) and you disable 4 of the ScanLists, the scanner still scans all 5 Systems. Now I am not certain about that and someone more archtectually versed than me can chime in. The reason I believe my theory to be correct is if I run Pro96com on a Configuration with multiple systems enabled but only one Scanlist enabled, Pro96com is reporting numerous talkgroups from different systems. But then again we need a guru to chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.