DoD site 6 location - Quantico

Status
Not open for further replies.

K3EP

I think everyone agrees the site is at Camp Barrett on QMCB. I don't think that has changed, but I personally haven't gone looking for it. But its always been listed as Barrett in the DB as far as I know. Also, I am <1 mile from Camp Barrett and the LOB from my house has the transmitters along a straight line through Camp Barrett.

So assuming it IS at Camp Barrett, the DB needs to reflect Stafford County not Prince William. A simple search of Google maps for Stafford County, VA (not just "Stafford") will show you the outline of Stafford County, and that the Southern part of QMCB is in Stafford. Camp Barrett is at the intersections of MCB 2 and MCB 3 on the most Southern part of the Western side of QMCB, which is well within Stafford.

FYI, I'm the one who made the lastest submission to correct this. I realize this is minutia, but I would like our DB to be accurate.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
This was the previous one that changed the information:

4 (4) 001 (1) MCB Quantico-Cp. Upshur Prince William
4 (4) 002 (2) MCB Quantico-Mainside Prince William
4 (4) 003 (3) Joint Base-Myer Arlington
4 (4) 006 (6) MCB Quantico-Cp. Barrett Prince William
None of MCB Quantico is in Stafford (though Cp. Barrett is close to the county line).
Identifying the camps (Cp.) is much better than identifying the Cp. Barrett site as in Stafford Co. since it is not. Abbreviating to MCB (which is done) should allow space to list the cp. locations.
although my original submission called the "Mainside" location "Downtown", it is called both, but since "Downtown" could be confused with the non-base "Town of Quantico", and "Mainside" is used more in official documents; I now realize calling it "Mainside" is best.

Note sites 004 and 005 have been shut down for years.

Also at Marine Corps Base - Quantico Site Details (United States Department of Defense (14C)) , the statement "Site Notes:
Covers Camp Upshur and training areas west of I-95; coverage for TBS/Camp Barrett is limited is now an error as the newer site 006 fixes that. (I tend to be a perfectionist-sorry for any confusion).

K3EP

Gotcha. Well, the only thing I'll dispute is the fact Camp Barrett is not in Stafford. It is. In fact better than 50% of Quantico MCB is in Stafford. Again, do a simple Google maps search for "Stafford County, VA" and you'll see what I mean. Conversely, do a search for "Prince William County, VA" and you'll what isn't in Stafford.

And it's not just google maps that shows this ... any credible mapping program will do the same. So for someone to say any part of QMCB is not in Stafford is beyond me.

Camp Barrett is on the Southern-most part QMCB West of I-95. It is impossible for it not to be in Stafford County. The only reason people tend to associate all of QMCB with Prince William is the HQs for the base is in Prince William (East side of I-95 North of Chopawamsic Creek).

Ok, I've gone on long enough with this, so I'll sit back and be quiet. Regards.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I am going to rename the site "Camp Barrett" and in Stafford County. Hopefully that kills any further confustion - unless we find out the site is somewhere else :)

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Gotcha. Well, the only thing I'll dispute is the fact Camp Barrett is not in Stafford. It is. In fact better than 50% of Quantico MCB is in Stafford. Again, do a simple Google maps search for "Stafford County, VA" and you'll see what I mean. Conversely, do a search for "Prince William County, VA" and you'll what isn't in Stafford.

And it's not just google maps that shows this ... any credible mapping program will do the same. So for someone to say any part of QMCB is not in Stafford is beyond me.

Camp Barrett is on the Southern-most part QMCB West of I-95. It is impossible for it not to be in Stafford County. The only reason people tend to associate all of QMCB with Prince William is the HQs for the base is in Prince William (East side of I-95 North of Chopawamsic Creek).

Ok, I've gone on long enough with this, so I'll sit back and be quiet. Regards.

Though commenting late to this, the mistake is that the original had "County" included when it just meant to say "Stafford"--the reverse of some of the above saying "Stafford" at times when "Stafford County" was meant. Confusing this all is the City of Quantico is an independent (from county) city in Virginia (since 1961). Myself, if something is on a military base, I would prefer saying the base name rather than the county. It is unclear to me what jurisdiction the county has over the base if any. I do agree that maps generally show the base split between the two counties. Something K3eP and I can discuss sometime when we meet.

K3EP

QMCB is federal property but it is physically within the confines of PW & Stafford Counties, and the City of Quantico. Look on any decent federal or state map and you'll see the county lines still there. The County perimeters do not go around the exterior of the base.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
QMCB is federal property but it is physically within the confines of PW & Stafford Counties, and the City of Quantico. Look on any decent federal or state map and you'll see the county lines still there. The County perimeters do not go around the exterior of the base.

Although I agree with you, I would point out that they(they ones I have looked at recently) also show the City of Quantico as being in Prince William County though it is an independent city and much of INTERNET say it is in Prince William County because of those maps even though it became an independent city in 1961. I suspect one of the reasons such a small place became an independent city was because it was surrounded by the military base and did not feel like it was part of the county. so I take with a grain of salt what maps show and what it really means. That is why I would rather leave the county out of the discussion and just say the site is at Camp Barrett on MCB Quantico.

Status
Not open for further replies.