Sources of scanner related information

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

In very basic terms, would you be more likely to visit a blog or a Facebook page about a given topic and which would you be more likely to trust as a source of information?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
No, and neither....especially not from fakebook. 73, n9zas

gewecke

Banned
So you would not look at either as a source of information?
. Nope, Popular communications magazine ( no longer published), the police call publications, published each year from before 1977 to approx 1990 Or Radio reference were the sources I chose to use. Fakebook or blogs were and are full of incorrect information. 73, n9zas

pb_lonny

. Nope, Popular communications magazine ( no longer published)
It is no longer published so how can it be a good source of information?

. the police call publications, published each year from before 1977 to approx 1990
Again It is no longer published so how can it be a good source of information?

. Radio reference were the sources I chose to use. Fakebook or blogs were and are full of incorrect information.
That is a very blanket statement. My question was which of those sources you would use, I don't really care if you don't want to use either.....

gewecke

Banned
In the past they were very reliable sources, but not used any longer. Now I just rely on RR or my own research from search sessions. 73, n9zas

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Oops, you mentioned scanning in particular. I don't as of yet subscribe to any FB scanner groups. My view is to try it and see if you like it. As for definitive, verifiable info such as frequencies; Radio Ref. is my go to source.

gewecke

Banned
A magazine that was previous to Popular communications in its day was called " S9" was full of all manner of radio information, of course very outdated now but still fun to read with lots of great photos if you happen to run across of either of these mags and any issues.:wink: 73, n9zas

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
It depends on the topic. They aren't exactly a Blog or Facebook page, but for radio specific information, there are Yahoo Groups organized for just about any radio model you can think of. Sometimes these are great sources of information. You can post questions and often get a helpful answer. What I find most useful is they usually have programming files available for download. If it's a brand or model I haven't programmed before it can be very helpful to open someone else's file to see how things can be organized. I can use one of these as a starter file and have something ready to upload to the radio before I even have the radio.

Blogs or Facebook pages? Meh. Haven't seen many that interested me.

pb_lonny

Thanks for the replies. I should have added to my OP that I am talking about myself. I run a blog which I am thinking of moving across to a Facebook page and wanted to get some feedback on if this will "turn off" a lot of people or if as I think that people check their Facebook news feed more often and will as such see what I am posting easier.

gewecke

Banned
Thanks for the replies. I should have added to my OP that I am talking about myself. I run a blog which I am thinking of moving across to a Facebook page and wanted to get some feedback on if this will "turn off" a lot of people or if as I think that people check their Facebook news feed more often and will as such see what I am posting easier.
. I might read your blog if it were elsewhere other than fakebook. :wink: 73, n9zas

pb_lonny

. I might read your blog if it were elsewhere other than fakebook. :wink: 73, n9zas

It is not only on Facebook, yet. At the moment I am updating both with my blog being the main focus. I am getting some feedback on if moving it just to Facebook will work better.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
Both have pros and cons. I'd probably be more inclined to follow on FB just because I would be included in my feed. I'm not going to just the credibility of information simply based on a URL. Heck, even "credible" sources get things wrong sometimes.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I run a blog which I am thinking of moving across to a Facebook page and wanted to get some feedback on if this will "turn off" a lot of people or if as I think that people check their Facebook news feed more often and will as such see what I am posting easier.

I hate Facebook with the force of 10,000 suns.

Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.