Yaesu: VX-6R CTCSS programming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Is it possible to manually program for a repeater that uses different PL tones for each frequency (input and output)? In the manual, it shows how to use a TSQL setting for the tone squelch; however, it seems that it only allows for programming the same tone for both the input and output. I don't have the correct programming cable yet and have been doing it manually--which is actually pretty easy for me now that I've gotten the sequence down.

Thanks in advance for your help!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I don't think so. I've had mine for 5 years... if there is I'm all ears.:wink: 73, n9zas

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I have multiple Yaesu radios (VX150, VX170, VX-7R, FT60R, FT7800, FT8800, FT1802, FT1900) and none of them will do split tones. It would sure be a nice feature. Even the Baofeng radios will do split tones!

nd5y

The FT-60 can do split tones. You have to turn on Menu 47 SPLIT.
RTFM page 25. Download it here Welcome to Yaesu.com click on the Files tab.
So can the FT-7800. It has a different Menu number (41 SPLIT).
There are certain combinations they can't do, unlike the Chinese radios, and you can't program split tones in a FT-7800 with Chirp because Chirp doesn't support certain functions in that radio. I'm not familiar with how Chirp works with the FT-60 or other Yaesu models.

Last edited:

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
Interestingly, the VX-6R manual shows how to manually configure it for CTCSS/DCS split tones but not CTCSS/CTCSS. Go figure...

nd5y

OK I had to verify this because I forgot how it worked.
I'm not sure if all Yaesu models are the same way but the FT-7800 at least doesn't allow two different CTCSS tones, even if you program separate tx/rx frequencies.

When you enable Menu 41 SPLIT you get the following tone modes:
MODE: RX / TX DESCRIPTION
OFF: RX CSQ / TX CSQ
ENC: RX CSQ / TX CTCSS
D: RX CSQ / TX DCS
ENC/DEC: RX CTCSS / TX CTCSS
REV TN: RX REVERSE CTCSS / TX CSQ
DCS: RX DCS / TX DCS
ENC/DCS: RX DCS / TX CTCSS
D-DEC: RX CTCSS / TX DCS

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
When you enable Menu 58 SPLIT on the VX-6R you gain the following additional modes:
D CODE: DCS encode only
T DCS: Encodes a CTCSS tone and decodes a DCS code
D TONE: Encodes a DCS code and decodes a CTCSS tone

I guess I need to get the programming cable and see what happens with Chirp.

nd5y

Don't be surprised if the VX-6R isn't fully supported by Chirp.
It might be just like the FT-7800; you can manually program channels with every possible tone mode and when you download from the radio Chirp has errors on half of the channels because it doesn't recognize all the tone modes.

Another free program for the VX-6R is KC8UNJ - Jim Mitchell - Radio Programming Software but it's been so long since I used that and had a VX-6R I don't remember if it supports everything or not.

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
Don't be surprised if the VX-6R isn't fully supported by Chirp.
It might be just like the FT-7800; you can manually program channels with every possible tone mode and when you download from the radio Chirp has errors on half of the channels because it doesn't recognize all the tone modes.

Even if that ends up being the case, I'm still quite happy with the radio overall.

Thanks to all for the great input so far!

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
As an aside, I have the RT Systems software for my VX6R, and it doesn't show any ability for sending and receiving different PL tones.

There is a possible work around in the radio though, albeit a long way to get there. If you look in the manual at "Enhanced Paging and Code Squelch" it shows how to set up "two pairs of CTCSS tones", one pair for receiving and one pair for transmitting. I've never tried it, but it seems you could make the transmit pair one tone (i.e. 100hz and 100hz) and the receive tone another single tone pair (i.e. 127.3 and 127.3).

Last edited:

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
As an aside, I have the RT Systems software for my VX6R, and it doesn't show any ability for sending and receiving different PL tones.

There is a possible work around in the radio though, albeit a long way to get there. If you look in the manual at "Enhanced Paging and Code Squelch" it shows how to set up "two pairs of CTCSS tones", one pair for receiving and one pair for transmitting. I've never tried it, but it seems you could make the transmit pair one tone (i.e. 100hz and 100hz) and the receive tone another single tone pair (i.e. 127.3 and 127.3).

Thanks for the info. In the long run, not being able to do split CTCSS tones is no deal breaker for me. It's not essential, it just might come in handy at times to block unwanted signals. Overall, it's a pretty great radio and I can live with it's quirks.

Last edited:

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Another work-around for split tones is to program the same repeater into two (2) adjacent memory locations. One uses the necessary TX tone for transmitting and the other uses the necessary RX tone for receiving. This will lets you to use the RX tone while monitoring or scanning that repeater and allows you to easily switch to the adjacent memory location when you want to talk on that repeater.

- John AC4JK

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
Another work-around for split tones is to program the same repeater into two (2) adjacent memory locations. One uses the necessary TX tone for transmitting and the other uses the necessary RX tone for receiving. This will lets you to use the RX tone while monitoring or scanning that repeater and allows you to easily switch to the adjacent memory location when you want to talk on that repeater.

That's a good idea. Thanks!

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
How odd. The vx150 and 170 can do two different ctcss tones. I figured the vx6 could as well as it's nicer.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Split tones is not very common in the amateur community and with most hams running CSQ on the receive side of their radios it's never been a big issue. You see split tones a lot in commercial application but like PL the amateur radio manufacturers can be slow to adopt the current ( two decade old) commercial FM standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
Split tones is not very common in the amateur community and with most hams running CSQ on the receive side of their radios it's never been a big issue. You see split tones a lot in commercial application but like PL the amateur radio manufacturers can be slow to adopt the current ( two decade old) commercial FM standards.

I have three repeaters nearby with split CTCSS tones. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think that with one or two of them their might be issues with interference from other nearby repeaters. In the end, though, it's not critical for me to be able to program the split tones. I seem to be able to access and hear these repeaters anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.