New Tecsun PL-880

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPD1

Finally picked up one of these a few months back. Very nice little radio. Probably the best portable I have had. Seems to work quite well on SSB. I like that it has a fine tune that is actually visible on the display, as opposed to some other portables that just have a blind knob, with no visual indication for fine tuning. I'm going to take it out to the desert for some noise free listening soon. So far, two thumbs up.

nanZor

I wanted to love the 880, but it is now mainly used for AM/FM. GREAT audio response.

For SSB / CW, my unit has horrid agc on anything but weak signals. And the unit isn't even being overloaded. Like the Grundig 750, moderate signals, not boomers even, confuse the dsp / agc. Cw is nearly unusable.

Perhaps I got a bad one, or am being too picky.

Robertkoa

Yes...I have been reading Reviews and watching Videos of 880 and I think it is very good for the money...

But I and many others would rather spend another $75 to $100 more and get a great Portable...

BUT that is not being made now.

I even suggested through a Distributor to Tecsun that they do a higher end PL for another $100 retail or less...based on 880 but with more control better SYNC etc.

The Silabs chip in the PL 880 and Eton Satellit( the G5 sized one ) has a lot of potential...but not quite where it could be on both receivers...IMO.

I am just an interested Consumer but want something as good or slightly better than SONY 2010 for about $250 to $300 but no one makes that.

Tecsun could with more QC and a little R&D but not sure if they will...

Status
Not open for further replies.