Franklin County considering MotoTurbo TDMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
Nice find. I'd bet the cities will follow if they switch to a Cap+. Kinda surprised they didn't just go with KSICS. They didn't even mention it in the notes.

firefive76

Just wonder, what is the average cost for a department to get on KSCIS system?

Around $500,000 per tower site and $2,000 for a low end subscriber unit. That's a low ball cost. Way too expensive when you don't have any KSICS sites in your county, like Franklin and Osage. Osage switched to MotoTRBO last summer, replaced all the county subscriber units and all infrastructure for around $70,000, and that was for 4 sites on IPSC. Cities were of course on their own to replace their subscriber units.

mancow

Database Admin
2.5 mil was the figure I heard for P25.

Open source standard my ***.

Last edited:

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
Around $500,000 per tower site and $2,000 for a low end subscriber unit. That's a low ball cost. Way too expensive when you don't have any KSICS sites in your county, like Franklin and Osage. Osage switched to MotoTRBO last summer, replaced all the county subscriber units and all infrastructure for around $70,000, and that was for 4 sites on IPSC. Cities were of course on their own to replace their subscriber units.

Thanks for the information firefive76.

I'd moved to Kansas 2 years ago and knew the KSCIS system was in place for cites and county to join the system, however did not know how much of cost there was for them to do so.

Living in Rice County, it is well known their system is having some coverage problem after the narrow band mandate when in to place as well as some of their current system is at its EOL cycle and the normal problems that go along with that.

I know the County has or was looking in it, and there has been a lot talk of moving to the KSICS system and leaving their VHF conventional system. However, after the bids were received < cost of the move not made public > to switch to the KSCIS system, there were reconsidering that and started looking at replacing the part of the VHF conventional system and staying on it. Which is not cheap either!

Not really knowing how much, or how they charged for the cost of using the KSCIS towers, weather it one time, yearly, monthly, or per unit cost, plus when you add leasing of talk groups, subscriber unit usage etc. the cost of the radios, I better understand it now, and I can see where that could rack up fast, and why they are reconsidering the move.

Again thanks for the information, Sorry if I changed the subject of the thread, I was just curious as to what some the “Real “costs that were involved with using KSCIS system vs upgrading their current ones.

dgruver911

$500,000 per site may be a bit on the low side, of course it all depends on how many channels you have at each site and if you simulcast or not. And there are no "fees" for using the tower sites, talkgroups, etc. Not that the state hasn't suggested that or left the door open at some point that they will charge user fees, but doubtful. We spent almost $4m for 3 simulcast sites+simulcast VHF paging and 6 consoles,

All that said, I do NOT understand who is selling MOTOTRBO to public safety agencies. It is not designed for public safety, and completely does away with interoperability with surrounding counties unless they buy MOTOTRBO radios too. And the comment about P25 not being interoperable? If ti is a P25 system, you can talk. Whether it is Motorola, Harris, Cassidian, they all talk to each other using whatever radio you have.

JRayfield

Just because two radios are P25 does NOT mean that they are 'interoperable'. P25 conventional radios can not operate on a P25 trunked system. And, of course, if the radios are on different frequency bands, then they aren't 'interoperable' either.

The idea that "if it's P25, then it's 'interoperable'" is not 100% true.

John Rayfield, Jr.

$500,000 per site may be a bit on the low side, of course it all depends on how many channels you have at each site and if you simulcast or not. And there are no "fees" for using the tower sites, talkgroups, etc. Not that the state hasn't suggested that or left the door open at some point that they will charge user fees, but doubtful. We spent almost $4m for 3 simulcast sites+simulcast VHF paging and 6 consoles,

All that said, I do NOT understand who is selling MOTOTRBO to public safety agencies. It is not designed for public safety, and completely does away with interoperability with surrounding counties unless they buy MOTOTRBO radios too. And the comment about P25 not being interoperable? If ti is a P25 system, you can talk. Whether it is Motorola, Harris, Cassidian, they all talk to each other using whatever radio you have.

firefive76

A lot of public safety agencies are on MotoTRBO now. The cost savings, features, etc all are attractive to public safety!

Osage didn't have interoperability with surrounding counties except Lyon (UHF) before anyway. The county is surrounded by UHF, VHF, and 800. Going with UHF MotoTRBO kept interoperability within the county since fire, EMS, and police are also on UHF. If they would have switched to P25, we would have no in county interoperability, not to mention the money. BTW, MotoTRBO radios do analog, so you can still talk to the same agencies as you could before the switch.

firefive76

Just because two radios are P25 does NOT mean that they are 'interoperable'. P25 conventional radios can not operate on a P25 trunked system. And, of course, if the radios are on different frequency bands, then they aren't 'interoperable' either.

The idea that "if it's P25, then it's 'interoperable'" is not 100% true.

John Rayfield, Jr.

Excellent point. Take Coffey County as an example. They are P25 on the KSICS system, but they're using proprietary encryption!

Status
Not open for further replies.