Stuck with a BCD536HP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
Hi.. I purchased a Uniden 536HP and a WS1098 and set them side by side.. same antenna, same settings etc.. programmed in Zip Code to make it simple.. the Uniden looks nice, etc but when scanning it clips/picket fencing big time on most Simulcast channels.. I have read and tried all the remedies, but no go.. however the WS1098 has no such issues AT ALL.. what am I doing wrong? the Whistler is just better in reception, audio.. I'm VERY disappointed in the Uniden.. I have owned many Unidens, but not like the disappointing performance of the 536.. Yes, I have tried other areas/cites/towers around, as I have a couple antennas atop a 55' tower.. so distance is not the problem.. any suggestions? :)
Thanks in advance..
Doug

Last edited:

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
MrDoug,

I don't have any suggestions for you but thank you for this report. I was trying to decide between a 536 and the 1098. Went with the 1098 last night. Just waiting for it to arrive..............

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I don't have the WS1098, but I do have the WS1065. Where I live in SW Portland the BCD536HP does much better with all of the Greater Portland Metro area Simulcast analog systems than the Whistler does. It also does better than any of my other Uniden radios. That said, none of them handle any of these systems perfectly. There's always some amount of flutter or crackle on at least one or two of the pool frequencies, even with Portland's system, and I live pretty close to the Council Crest site. A lot of it has to do with my location. I've been in other parts of town and found the reception of Portland's system to be remarkably good. The one thing I've found to be really helpful at my home location is this 800 MHz Yagi antenna:

Yagi Antenna

It took some experimenting to find a direction to point it that worked pretty well for all four systems I monitor, but once I found a sweet spot I was quite pleased. Clark and Washington counties still aren't perfect, but they're much improved from any previous antenna I've tried, and I've tried many. Portland and Clackamas systems are really good with that antenna now, with only the occasional crackly/poppy transmission.

mciupa

Hi.. I purchased a Uniden 536HP and when scanning it clips/picket fencing big time on most Simulcast channels.. I have read and tried all the remedies, but no go.... any suggestions? :)
Thanks in advance..
Doug

I tried increasing the P25 Hold Time from the default, up to 5 sec I believe, and it cleared up.
Might be worth a shot on the offending sites.

Last edited:

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
MrDoug,

I don't have any suggestions for you but thank you for this report. I was trying to decide between a 536 and the 1098. Went with the 1098 last night. Just waiting for it to arrive..............
Hi.. I think you made the right decision.. Enjoy.. you shouldn't have the drop off and picket fencing problems.
Doug

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
I tried increasing the P25 Hold Time from the default, up to 5 sec I believe, and it cleared up.
Might be worth a shot on the offending sites.
Thanks much.. I will give it a shot..
Doug

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
I don't have the WS1098, but I do have the WS1065. Where I live in SW Portland the BCD536HP does much better with all of the Greater Portland Metro area Simulcast analog systems than the Whistler does. It also does better than any of my other Uniden radios. That said, none of them handle any of these systems perfectly. There's always some amount of flutter or crackle on at least one or two of the pool frequencies, even with Portland's system, and I live pretty close to the Council Crest site. A lot of it has to do with my location. I've been in other parts of town and found the reception of Portland's system to be remarkably good. The one thing I've found to be really helpful at my home location is this 800 MHz Yagi antenna:

Yagi Antenna

It took some experimenting to find a direction to point it that worked pretty well for all four systems I monitor, but once I found a sweet spot I was quite pleased. Clark and Washington counties still aren't perfect, but they're much improved from any previous antenna I've tried, and I've tried many. Portland and Clackamas systems are really good with that antenna now, with only the occasional crackly/poppy transmission.

Hi and Thanks... I think part of the problem is location and type of equipment being used by the department, but I doubt it.. LOL.. who knows? Even weather could be a factor.. All I know is the WS1098 has no picket fencing or drop outs going on period.. it's as simple as that.. I will probably let the 536 gather dust.. darn..
Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:

Voyager

I would suggest the opposite. The two scanners may be interfering with each other depending on how they are connected to the same antenna. Try a different antenna on the 536.

kem554991

Premium Subscriber
Seconded on increasing the P25 hang time. My BCD996XT wasn't behaving very well with the LCRA P25 system until I increased the hang time. It was losing the conversation every time there was a slight break or drop in the signal. Increasing the hang time made a world of difference.

kb8rvp

What I have noticed with my BCD536HP is depending on the firmware version I have to change the P25 Threshold Mode either to manual or auto. If you want to give it a try press menu then scroll to Manage Favorites then select one of your Favorites lists. Then select Review/Edit System and pick the system that your tower frequencies are in and scroll to P25 Threshold Mode and change it from Auto to Manual and press the E/Yes button to save. Then keep pressing the Menu button to back all the way out of the settings Menu until the scanner goes back to scanning. See if this helps. With the scanner set to manual you can also try a different P25 Threshold Level. By default 8 is selected but you can try changing that too, it's going to be the option just below the P25 Threshold Mode... And by the way you have to do this for each favorites list that you want to change... The older firmware that's working for me on simulcast is 1.01.05 using the auto setting. It can be downloaded from this site: http://openuniden.com/files/firmwares/536/
This is all using a 90 degree BNC adapter with a radio shack 800MHz rubber duck: https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-800mhz-scanner-antenna?variant=5717063941

Good luck,
Mike

Last edited:

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
Hi to ALL, and thanks for the suggestions, as I will try them all and report back.. I love the Scanner and its features and hopefully I can get it to work correctly..
Doug

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Hi to ALL, and thanks for the suggestions, as I will try them all and report back.. I love the Scanner and its features and hopefully I can get it to work correctly..
Doug

I see you're here in Oregon somewhere. Is this system you're having trouble with an analog system, or is it P25? There isn't much P25 in Oregon yet. You're getting a lot of advice here on P25 settings that will not help you with an analog system.

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
I see you're here in Oregon somewhere. Is this system you're having trouble with an analog system, or is it P25? There isn't much P25 in Oregon yet. You're getting a lot of advice here on P25 settings that will not help you with an analog system.

Hi Sparklehorse.. I'm Corvallis, Ore..
Doug

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
Hi to All again.. LOL.. I think I found my problem.. Not set in stone yet.. but I noticed the WX ALERT was ON... I turned it off and guess what... no more clipping or picket fencing.. I should have known.. I also did all the other suggested settings by others, and have left them alone as I don't want to touch anything yet.. BUT THE BOTTOM LINE is: Everything working A-OK.. (at the moment) fingers crossed.. I hope it not a disease that reappears later in the day.. I kinda feel dumb.. which I probably am..
Doug....

mciupa

Hi to All again.. LOL.. I think I found my problem.. Not set in stone yet.. but I noticed the WX ALERT was ON... I turned it off and guess what... no more clipping or picket fencing..

Doug....

By accident or is a storm headed your way?

Anyways.... how is the weather in Oregon? :p:lol:

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
By accident or is a storm headed your way?

Anyways.... how is the weather in Oregon? :p:lol:
Hello. The weather in Oregon is partially cloudy with Sun in the forecast.. 57 degrees with winds 10MPH from the North.. If your alive, well, and have a good antenna, the weather is always good... I'm in Corvallis, home of the Oregon State Beavers!
But on the main subject, the 536 is not going to gather dust anymore.. LOL.. I just don't have a lot of patience and decided to take some time and figure it out.. the WX alert I think was the problem, I hope.. as soon as I turned it off, the transmission drop offs and skipping were gone.. so the 536 lives another day..
Doug

Last edited:

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
I am now happy with both the WS1098 and the BCD536HP.. both are great.. if I had to choose just 1, I would say I would to keep them both.. which I will do at the time of this posting.. LOL.. things could change, but all in all both are great.. the WS1098 may have better audio.. the 536 has a better, larger and more informative screen, although not as bright as the 1098.. so it boils down to personal preference. The forums are great for getting information and solving problems, I love it.. and thanks again for all the support and information..
Doug

rcool101

Feed Provider
Hi to All again.. LOL.. I think I found my problem.. Not set in stone yet.. but I noticed the WX ALERT was ON... I turned it off and guess what... no more clipping or picket fencing.. I should have known.. I also did all the other suggested settings by others, and have left them alone as I don't want to touch anything yet.. BUT THE BOTTOM LINE is: Everything working A-OK.. (at the moment) fingers crossed.. I hope it not a disease that reappears later in the day.. I kinda feel dumb.. which I probably am..
Doug....
Your just the latest in a long line to have this problem. Your not the first and won't be the last....:D....I learned a long time ago that WX ALERT and Priority was a waste and never used them. For lack of a better description I just think they're annoying.... My 2¢... Unless you live in Tornado Alley..:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.