Pro-197 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireelf210

Premium Subscriber
I just got a Pro-197 and am a bit confused by the programming. I have programmed one before, but may have done it wrong. The previous time I did it manually and deleted talk groups that I did not want as they came up. Is it recommended to get the software to make it easier to do the programming and do I have to enter the frequencies multiple times with each talkgroup that I want to listen to? If this is the case, I will have dozens of frequencies and hundreds of talkgroups to enter under each one. This seems a bit excessive if so. Any help would be appreciated.

shadcall

If you get the software I would suggest you get the programming cable from Radio Shack and become a premium member. If you do this you can easily program your scanner using the Radio Reference database and your computer. You won't have to enter anything unless you want to make changes to field. For example the RR database might say xyz PD dispatch. You could leave it this way or change it to xyz PD main frequency. You can also pick and choose which talkgroups you wish to listen to or put in a wild card and listen to all talkgroups. I use ARC 500 and it works great. Others may suggest alternative programs.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
what are you trying to program? If a trunked system, you program a TSYS object with the frequencies ect and then program either a wildcard (to hear everything) or the talkgroups you want to monitor. when you program a talkgroup there is a space to select the TSYS object. If you are programing by hand first program the TSYS, then the talkgroups. Software and a premium member does make it a lot simpler.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I suggest learning to program your 197 by keypad instead of software, primarily because the practice will make you intimately more familiar with the radio and all its functions and features. Software is great for shortcuts but does not teach you all the complicities of the 197, but this is just my opinion mind you. :wink: 73, n9zas

QDP2012

I just got a Pro-197 and am a bit confused by the programming. I have programmed one before, but may have done it wrong. The previous time I did it manually and deleted talk groups that I did not want as they came up. Is it recommended to get the software to make it easier to do the programming and do I have to enter the frequencies multiple times with each talkgroup that I want to listen to? If this is the case, I will have dozens of frequencies and hundreds of talkgroups to enter under each one. This seems a bit excessive if so. Any help would be appreciated.

If you want a "refresher" on some of the details about your scanner and how to program it, along with some information about Trunked Radio Systems, the RadioReference Wiki has some articles to get you started.

If you go to the RR Wiki Home page, on the top of the right column is a blue-background box with links for Newcomers. Even though you are not brand-new at this, these might be helpful anyway. Some other RR Wiki pages that might be useful are Trunking Basics and Trunked Radio Systems.

If you are looking for programming information for the scanner itself, the Programming Your Radio Shack Scanner wiki page lists many models including the 197. The Pro-197 RR Wiki page lists the following links for owner's manuals:

Easier To Read Manual for the 197 etc.

Radio Shack manual on manual-hub.com (.pdf)

I agree with earlier comments...
Yes, manual programming can be a valuable skill, both to learn the scanner, and to update the scanner when a computer is not available.
And, a computer, with programming cable, and your preferred software, will make scanner-programming much easier long-term.

(Using a computer can also help you keep your work (by saving the file) so that you can reload that file if the scanner gets "reset/cleared" "accidentally". If you only program manually, you might be more likely to lose your work if the scanner gets reset.)

Hope this helps,

fireelf210

Premium Subscriber
Ok. I managed to get the digital 800mhz (p25) frequencies in. I need to get the conventional frequencies in now. I am having trouble getting more than one in. I need to be able to put around 200 of them in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

N1BHH

Frequencies are frequencies, P-25 is just a modulation type. Just enter the frequency, modulation type and tone or NAC if there is a known one and assign to a scan list, you can always label them later.

Status
Not open for further replies.