Different brands of scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
How do all the different brands of scanners on the market today, rank up against each other? What is your preferred brand and why? What are you running, and why do you consider it the best?

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
I would suggest looking through the old scanner type threads as there is a lot of discussion about this topic....

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Comparing brands of scanners is like comparing brands of automobiles. You'll have a lot of customer loyalty.

The bottom line is this: They are all decent, if not, no one would buy them and the company would go out of business.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
Comparing brands of scanners is like comparing brands of automobiles. You'll have a lot of customer loyalty.

The bottom line is this: They are all decent, if not, no one would buy them and the company would go out of business.

Well put... Thanks

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I've owned & used both Uniden and GRE/Whistler/RadioShack scanners over the years. Of the ones I've had, there have been no problems to speak of. All of them have been good units, without exception.

I currently have one Uniden unit and six GRE/Whistler/RadioShack units. With one exception, the GRE/Whistler/RS units were purchased either on Black Friday sales or through the RS bankruptcy liquidation, so that's why I have so many of them. The "exception," a mint, unmodified PRO-2006, is in the box; I got it on eBay for $35. :D Couldn't afford it when it was new!

I am very intrigued by the Uniden HP2. I intend to try one at some point.

kc2kth

I've had scanners for over 30 years, so plenty of experience. I currently have the Uniden HP2, the 436hp, and the older RS PRO106 and 197, which are still similar to current Whistler models. I have a few others around as well, both Uniden and GRE made. Currently I use my 436 most of the time and the HP2 the rest of the time. Both of these have the "home patrol" functionally which I love. I like the flexibility of selecting not just a favorite list (like a bank, sort of) but then being able to narrow that down by services as well (fire talk, fire dispatch, interop). With other scanners I always found myself with either too much or too little in a specific bank or too few banks to be really granular.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Me too. I've had all brands and makes at one time or another. Tennelec, Jil, Regency and Relm being among some of the oddest but yet interesting. :wink: 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.