Edit options LOCATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenderblue

Using sentinel, using the edit option on a trunk system ( Missouri troop H p25). The channel-option-location- on the lh side is the long-lat and the range. The long & lat is close to me I didn't really search it, but the range is 70 miles. Is the range of my tower, do I change it or the L&L too?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Using sentinel, using the edit option on a trunk system ( Missouri troop H p25). The channel-option-location- on the lh side is the long-lat and the range. The long & lat is close to me I didn't really search it, but the range is 70 miles. Is the range of my tower, do I change it or the L&L too?

What exactly are you trying to do?

Voyager

That is the range the RR admin has set for that tower. Unless it's a very high tower on very flat land, it likely should be closer to 30 miles or less. Sometimes the ranges are set way too high - and way beyond the area that tower serves.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Is the range of my tower?

No - I think this is the range of the Department and not the Site/Tower.

How Department and Site ranges can be confusing at first, but they work hand in hand with a scanner.

Department ranges are typically the jurisdiction areas. In your case, Troop H covers a circle with a radius of 70 miles with the center point of the circle being the L/L of the location. Thus whenever your scanner is in the 70 mile circle, the Trrop H Department is turned on by Location Control. It you go outside of the circle, it is turned off.

Site (or tower) ranges are typically the transmission reception area. It appears most sites on this system have ranges of 20 miles, or thereabouts. Like Department ranges, site ranges are too circular areas. When your scanner is in the circle, Location Control turns the site on, etc.

With statewide systems a Department, such as Troop H, can be served by numerous towers.

So with trunked systems using Location Control, two conditions must be present for your scanner to attempt to receive "something". You have to be inside the range circle of a Site (or couple of sites) AND you have to be inside the range circle of a Department.

I'm a little hesitant to add the following because it may add to the confusion. The Range value set by the scanner keypad (or Sentinel Profile) is another component. It more or less extends the reach of the scanner of when a Department or Site is turned on. Let's say you set the scanner Range to 10.0 miles. When your scanner gets within 10 miles of that 70 mile Department circle (or 80 miles away from the L/L point), it turns the Department on. Also when you get within 10 miles of the Site circle, the Site is turned on.

fenderblue

Thanks, that really helps. I can see now that I need a couple sites for trunk systems in my travels as I have noticed just using one power.

Status
Not open for further replies.