Usb wall charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallascowboys

Good Morning,
Hi everyone I have the BCD436HP my question is this scanner uses the AC USB 5V 1A WALL PLUG IN, CAN I USE A 2.1 AMP USB WALLCHARGER TO POWER THIS SCANNER FROM A REGULAR HOUEHOLD PLUG ?

KE0GXN

I don't own a 436, but I have used a 2.4 amp USB wall charger to power my HP-2 with no issues. I believe the scanner will only draw what it needs.

mitbr

Good Morning,
Hi everyone I have the BCD436HP my question is this scanner uses the AC USB 5V 1A WALL PLUG IN, CAN I USE A 2.1 AMP USB WALLCHARGER TO POWER THIS SCANNER FROM A REGULAR HOUEHOLD PLUG ?

Yes the radio will only draw the amount of amperage it needs.

jackj

Electrical current can, in some respects, be compared to the flow of water. Pressure (voltage) is the force pushing the water while flow volume (current) is the amount of water moving through the pipe. Your device, in your case a 436, could be compared to a faucet. If you put too much pressure (voltage) on the faucet, it will be destroyed. The pipe it is connected to might be able to supply 1,000 gallons per minute (current) but if the faucet will only pass 1 gallon per minute then that is all it will take from the pipe.

Power supply ratings are important and, in the case of voltage, must match the requirement of device. But the amperage rating is only important if it can't supply enough current, it can safely exceed the rating of the device.

The voltage/water comparison breaks down if you try to take it too far.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It will not charge any faster with a 1.2 or a 2.1 as the scanner is designed to use a 500 mil power supply but I would not charge the batteries in the scanner and if I remember correct the scanner only charges when it is turned off and set to charge when the usb cable is plugged in.

dallascowboys

Thanks for all the feedback, what i want to do is use it as a adapter for a wall outlet to power the bcd436hp, can i still use this 2.1amp usb wallcharger to do this ?

dmack550

Premium Subscriber
Yes you can provided what you want to use is 5 volts. It's the voltage rating that counts, not the amperage. If it needs 1 amp to charge it will DRAW only one amp so more amperage is fine. More voltage.... No. And the suggestion to NOT CHARGE the batteries in the scanner is a good one. Beware.

johnhardra

If some looking for the usb wall charger then i am going to suggest all of you that use the Liztek's 4 port usb wall charger which allows you to charge multiple things in one time.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
You could make a comparison to your car radio. It gets its power from the battery, which has a potential capacity of hundreds of amps (so it can start the car), but the radio only draws what it needs, probably 1 amp or so. The capacity of the wall charger (and the battery) is how much it COULD supply if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.