Complied List of Jurisdictions Planning New Radio Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
There are so many threads and I was trying to compile a list what the future holds for new systems in the state in the next couple years. I tried to fill in the dots with information from various threads but I am missing information for a few jurisdictions. Corrections are appreciated.

Allegany County – (FiRST – 2017)
Anne Arundel County – (Planning Phase, Probably >3 years before new system in place)
Calvert County – (Planning Phase, a couple years away)
Caroline County – (FiRST – 2016/2017)
Cecil County – ( New System, Planning Phase)
Charles County – ??
Dorchester County – (New System – RFP 2015, any decision?)
Frederick County – (Upgrade to Phase II in future)
Garrett County – (Possible Switch to FiRST)
Howard County – ??
Montgomery County – ???
Queen Anne County – (FIRST – 2016?)
Somerset County – ???
Talbot County – (FiRST – 2016/2017?)
Wicomico County – (New System, any info?)
Worchester County – (New System)
Ocean City – (New System – 2017)

Jurisdictions with newer systems that probably won’t choose a new system in the next couple years or so.

Baltimore City
Baltimore County
Carroll County
Harford County (CMARC)
Kent County
Prince George’s County
Saint Mary’s County
Washington County

Last edited:

DisasterGuy

Wicomico is currently out to bid with a vendor selection expected within 2 months.

Worcester will be Harris Phase 1 / Phase 2 Dual Dynamic Mode with cutover during spring & summer of 2017 as c9verage testing under full foliage is required.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Howard County is in the slow process of an upgrade, with system infrastructure being put into place as funds become available. The new ZC is there and ready to go, but some more things need to happen before it gets switched on. From there, the 7.x ZC will operate the SmartZone system via a SmartX converter while the remainder of the infrastructure is procured and staged, and all the subscribers are updated and reprogrammed to ready a switchover.

Gonna be a couple of years before it gets done-done.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Montgomery County is in the midst of a multiyear $109M system upgrade. I think they are in process of / finished replacing subscriber units and revamping the FSA system. They are planning to add more tower sites, and adding some redundant backhaul infrastructure, and ISSI for FiRST users. Most likely phase 2.

Last edited:

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I don't have anything to add as far as any info on systems but since I do a lot of travel through the Eastern Shore and southern Pa I love the idea of this thread. Great idea to have all the info in one place like this. I'm hoping other states take this idea and run with it as well!

gesucks

Montgomery County is in the midst of a multiyear $109M system upgrade. I think they are in process of / finished replacing subscriber units and revamping the FSA system. They are planning to add more tower sites, and adding some redundant backhaul infrastructure, and ISSI for FiRST users. Most likely phase 2.

All separate items.

Subscriber units have been done for almost 2 years
New FSA was awarded last year
New 911 was awarded last year

The new radio system will be Phase 2. That RFP has been going on for almost 2 years and they are still stalling.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
All separate items.

Subscriber units have been done for almost 2 years
New FSA was awarded last year
New 911 was awarded last year

The new radio system will be Phase 2. That RFP has been going on for almost 2 years and they are still stalling.

Yes, the initiative is a multi-phase project and the parts are let seperately. The RFP published in 2014 for the radio part is a painful read, probably best to be a lawyer to digest it all.

QDP2012

There are so many threads and I was trying to compile a list what the future holds for new systems in the state in the next couple years. I tried to fill in the dots with information from various threads but I am missing information for a few jurisdictions. Corrections are appreciated.

Allegany County – (FiRST – 2017)
Anne Arundel County – (Planning Phase, Probably >3 years before new system in place)
Calvert County – (Planning Phase, a couple years away)
Caroline County – (FiRST – 2016/2017)
Cecil County – ( New System, Planning Phase)
Charles County – ??
Dorchester County – (New System – RFP 2015, any decision?)
Frederick County – (Upgrade to Phase II in future)
Garrett County – (Possible Switch to FiRST)
Howard County – ??
Montgomery County – ???
Queen Anne County – (FIRST – 2016?)
Somerset County – ???
Talbot County – (FiRST – 2016/2017?)
Wicomico County – (New System, any info?)
Worchester County – (New System)
Ocean City – (New System – 2017)

Jurisdictions with newer systems that probably won’t choose a new system in the next couple years or so.

Baltimore City
Baltimore County
Carroll County
Harford County (CMARC)
Kent County
Prince George’s County
Saint Mary’s County
Washington County
How bout a Wiki?

The above info and a link to this thread have been added to the Expected System Changes (MD) RR Wiki page, so more people can learn about this. Please feel free to edit the Wiki page, or to post updates in this thread.

Thanks for sharing.

Hope this helps,

WG3K

Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I'm curious why more counties aren't just hopping onto FiRST or one of the other 'statewide' systems. When I worked in NC many municipalities were joining the VIPER network and the ability to talk with most anyone in the state was a big plus (not to mention not having to support your own system). Why not here in MD?

troymail

Silent Key
I'm curious why more counties aren't just hopping onto FiRST or one of the other 'statewide' systems. When I worked in NC many municipalities were joining the VIPER network and the ability to talk with most anyone in the state was a big plus (not to mention not having to support your own system). Why not here in MD?

So have stated they believe there are "cheaper" options -- but I think mostly, it's because counties don't want to be under the control of the State.

DisasterGuy

As just one example, compare the cost of Worcester County's new system contract to other counties that have published their cost to join FiRST. That doesn't take into account different coverage standards, loading concerns, etc.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Another issue is the large metropolitan jurisdictions require lots of talk paths, and FiRST is not provisioned with enough frequencies to support them. Montgomery and PG are implementing ISSI that will allow state subscribers better coverage and relieve the state from building some infrastructure within those counties.

WG3K

Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Another issue is the large metropolitan jurisdictions require lots of talk paths, and FiRST is not provisioned with enough frequencies to support them. Montgomery and PG are implementing ISSI that will allow state subscribers better coverage and relieve the state from building some infrastructure within those counties.

Yeah, that's what we did in a couple of instances with VIPER but some of the larger municipalities kept their existing systems with a backup plan of using VIPER. I also think that the implementation of FiRST is different from VIPER whereas VIPER is supposed to have ~95% portable coverage in the state whereas FiRST is focusing on mobile coverage (if I heard correctly).

DisasterGuy

Worcester and Ocean City both under contract for Harris Systems. Worcester should be on the air by winter with cutover summer of 2017 and Ocean City likely within 12 months or so following.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
A new Cecil County system out for bid,most likely will be mix of 700/800 band due to area
shortage.Timetable in about 3 years.
Chester County Pa has new current system with mix of 700/800 band as well so nothing new.

DisasterGuy

Cecil has not yet gone to bid however they have brought a consultant on. The likely hood of them obtaining 800MHz spectrum is slim to none unless they are able to get UMESC channels upon the shut down of that system however that isn't anticipated for at least another 18+ months.

Status
Not open for further replies.