Database question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santacarl

Hello all,

Just beginning to learn this 'hobby'..... Going with a 436HP which has Sentinel software but the scanner hasn't arrived yet so I may be asking something that will become clear when I do. Okay...

But I was surfing through some other areas here on RR and noticed the area on the RR DB for MSWIN control channels and saw that RR has a DB for this.... Since I don't have Sentinel yet I don't know enough about it to know if it contains the MSWIN control channels or not.

I noticed on the RR DB page that Sentinel doesn't show up as a supported software. So my question(s)....

What DB does Sentinel use as its DB and can I use Sentinel AND the RR DB together?

Sorry for what's probably a really dumb question....but I'm so confused I don't know which way to point my 'antenna.'

Thanks for any response that may help me regain my sanity!

SC

Voyager

Download Sentinel. You don't need the scanner to run and learn it. Not sure why the OEM SW is not listed as supported.

Here is the DL URL:
BCD436HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Sentinel uses the HPdB ( HomePatrol Database) which is derived from RadioReference. It is updated every Monday.

Santacarl

Download Sentinel. You don't need the scanner to run and learn it. Not sure why the OEM SW is not listed as supported.

Here is the DL URL:
BCD436HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Sentinel uses the HPdB ( HomePatrol Database) which is derived from RadioReference. It is updated every Monday.

Thanks for the link Voyager....So let me make sure I understand about the HPdB....does it include everything listed in the RR DB? In the past I've found some 'derivatives' not all inclusive....and I'm so new to this that I don't know not to ask! HA....

I'll download Sentinel and get started playing with it...

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Last edited:

Santacarl

I added links for sentinel for both versions. Thanks for letting us know!
'Anyone' who has an account here can edit the wiki's. RadioReference.com Web Service

Yes it does include everything in rrdb. Mondays at 10am is when the database is updated in sentinel accessed from the menu under 'update' I believe off hand. Also be sure to check for any firmware updates periodically.

Here is one of many how-to videos
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...842E4640426C67FEFD52842E4640426C6&FORM=VRDGAR

Thanks for the information....I'm sure those who've been at this a while know, as common knowledge, that Sentinal is supported...But I'm so new to this I don't yet know which end is up! HA...

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the link Voyager....So let me make sure I understand about the HPdB....does it include everything listed in the RR DB? In the past I've found some 'derivatives' not all inclusive....and I'm so new to this that I don't know not to ask! HA....

Yes it does include everything in rrdb.

Actually, it does not include everything in rrdb. Uniden filters out what they feel is not scan-able. Their definition of scan-able is something that can be scanned with their scanner.

Trunked systems in the database that do not contain any talkgroups do not show up in Sentinel. Those have to be added manually. Dmr systems listed in the database will also not show up in Sentinel, for obvious reasons.

So not everything listed in the Radioreference database will not show up in Sentinel.

Santacarl

Actually, it does not include everything in rrdb. Uniden filters out what they feel is not scan-able. Their definition of scan-able is something that can be scanned with their scanner.

Trunked systems in the database that do not contain any talkgroups do not show up in Sentinel. Those have to be added manually. Dmr systems listed in the database will also not show up in Sentinel, for obvious reasons.

So not everything listed in the Radioreference database will not show up in Sentinel.

Hmmm, so is there an easy way to tell what is not included other than doing a line by line comparison?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

The download will contain some things that are not "scan-able", such as NXDN. I wish they didn't because I find it to be a nuisance hearing digital noise and have to use the avoid button often during my travels.

There is no easy way to identify changes, unfortunately.

Santacarl

Thanks for the response....Sometimes "easy" comes at a price.... Just wanted to check to make sure before I paid said price.....

Status
Not open for further replies.