BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Since I'm not sure about the 436.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
Since I'm not sure about what version I'm going get if I order a 436, (I had a couple with dull screens and old SN#'s and returned) what do you suggest for a HH that is close to the 436 and will get me by until the river is flowing with the newest versions of the 436?.. I really could get by without PL2 at the short, but current time..
Thanks in advance as always...
Doug

Voyager

Lots of orders from Amazon are getting the new version. Even if it's not the new one, you can return it.

There really is nothing else like the 436.

BaLa

I ordered one on Monday from Amazon.
Got one of the new ones.

Came from Reno Warehouse.
But I guess you can't really pick where it gets shipped from.

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
Got one of the new ones.

Sounds great, glad you got a good one.. I live in Oregon, so maybe if I order today, they will ship from there..
Doug

KA2ZEY

You made the right choice. There's no better scanner on the market. Not sure which scanner you had last but the way it's laid out will blow your mind. And it's appearing that updates are possible for it to receive new types of digital modes.

Ensnared

No, the 436HP is not perfect, but much better than the competition. Whistler has been asleep at the wheel as far as I'm concerned. I am a GRE/Whislter man myself, but I have to hand it to Uniden for being able to better handle linear simulcast distortion.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
The PSR-800 was reviewed by Bob Grove in Monitoring Times in April 2011. That is almost 5 years ago.
The WS1080, 1088, 1095, 1098, and the RS668 scanners are the PSR-800 scanner. They now may have a keyboard and detachable head, but it all are basically the same scanner that was available in early 2011.
Whistler has none no new development. The same can be said for the PSR-500 and PSR-600 scanner knockoffs. I give Whistler credit for continuing to provide the PSR-800 scanner (in various forms) to whoever wants one, and there are some nice features, but it is now a 5-year old scanne
Uniden has at least been developing some new scanner ideas. Perfect? Far from it, still with some missing features; nevertheless, I have to applaud them for at least trying. The 436/536HP, not perfect, but the best scanners currently available in IMHO.
For those who want to ensure that you get a new version (LED and RTC problem resolved) before buying, I understand. But I don't think Uniden is going to identify any serial number cut-off and then allow potentially a thousand or more 436 units to then sit on the shelf. I think their efforts to at least recall those units at the request of users and make the free modification is a fair strategy that probably best works in everyone's interest.
Bottom line: I agree that the 436HP (and 536HP) are much better than the competition. Come to think of it, in terms of new development, there is no competition right now, except in the realm of SDR radio, another topic for another day.

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
Got one of the new ones.

May I ask what the serial number was on the 436?
Thanks in advance,
Doug

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
That's the ESN. The SN is on the back of the radio. It has a Z in the number

i called one place, they wanted $540 though, but he said the two he had were serial #s 570 and 571 (last 3 #s i guess). does this makes sense, would it be the new ones? if not, what am i looking for when i call? thanks

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Doug, despite the recalls and the little hassle I had because I use a virtual machine on a Mac. I don't think you will find a scanner that has as hot a receiver as the X36 series. I own both, bought them when they first came out, and they are worth every penny I spent. Go for it, Doug. Even if you have to send it in for the display/RTC, it will be worth it. I have used both radios on the Rockland County, NY P25 Phase II Simulcast system and they were superb

Status
Not open for further replies.