City of Asheville unit I.D.'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaFive

This morning I have been scanning the City of Asheville's Motorola type II smartzone system, WNXR226. I have been scanning it on my BCD 536 in an open mode with all i'd's being scanned, what would be called a 'wildcard' system on a Radio Shack scanner.
Normally the DEC i'd's for the system are in 2 digits, 3 digits, or 4 digits. This morning so far I have received two i'd's that I am not familiar with, and simply don't understand, they are i55523, and i8022. I cannot locate either one in the database.
The city system is does have an APCO compatibility due to a mutual aid necessity with the county and V.I.P.E.R. being P 25. But, I don't see how that would have anything to do with an i.d. beginning in ( i ).
On my BCD536 I have the End Code set for Analog plus Digital, the Status Bit is set to ignore.
I'm sure someone out there knows exactly what the i I.D. indicates, but I confess to being ignorant on this one... Thank you for your time.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
This morning I have been scanning the City of Asheville's Motorola type II smartzone system, WNXR226. I have been scanning it on my BCD 536 in an open mode with all i'd's being scanned, what would be called a 'wildcard' system on a Radio Shack scanner.
Normally the DEC i'd's for the system are in 2 digits, 3 digits, or 4 digits. This morning so far I have received two i'd's that I am not familiar with, and simply don't understand, they are i55523, and i8022. I cannot locate either one in the database.
The city system is does have an APCO compatibility due to a mutual aid necessity with the county and V.I.P.E.R. being P 25. But, I don't see how that would have anything to do with an i.d. beginning in ( i ).
On my BCD536 I have the End Code set for Analog plus Digital, the Status Bit is set to ignore.
I'm sure someone out there knows exactly what the i I.D. indicates, but I confess to being ignorant on this one... Thank you for your time.

"i" indicates a radio ID. Every radio on the system has a unique radio ID which is different than the talkgroup ID.
See this link for more info:
Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Think of it as Caller ID for two way radios. That is how 911 & radio shop folk are able to tell who is transmitting on which talkgroup.
Marshall KE4ZNR

AlphaFive

Asheville I.D.'s

Very cool, I'll have to put my Pro 197 on a wildcard search for the same. In the past I never observed this on the 197, only on the BCD536. Thank you again.

trumpetman

Database Admin
The Asheville system has private call abilities, which is pretty much a radio to radio private conversation like you would use a phone for. 8000 series IDs are bus supervisors and 18000 series are transit buses, you'll normally hear them call in issues individually. APD uses it occasionally too.

AlphaFive

Asheville I.D.'s

Thank you all for yer help. What you came up with is absolutely correct. At the end of the day, I had received six assorted i.d's, they were all transit related. I had certainly known about the abilities of portables regarding this function, but had never actually received them, or had a clue what they looked like. Who doesn't love scanning???

WA4MJF

Think of it as Caller ID for two way radios. That is how 911 & radio shop folk are able to tell who is transmitting on which talkgroup.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Can be replaced by alpha numeric ID, too. Here in
Wake we use names or unit as ID. So you can read
who it is right away without getting a chart to compare
a number to a person/unit. For example, our tanker
comes up EW T3 or a Captain comes up EW 203.
Garner PD comes up Off Name.

Status
Not open for further replies.