Listening to your radio while you work

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

I work in an office environment with my own office. I have at times had my radio going, normally with ear phones while I work. This has never been an issue until recently. Can what you are listening to become an issue when many people in the office are listening to music or commercial radio?

RayAir

I sometimes listen to music or a scanner with earphones but it all comes down to your position or work place.

If you're an at-will employee you can pretty much be fired for any reason or no reason at all. In that case, I wouldn't make any waves.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I listen to classic rock through a bluetooth when I'm at work, and we have company radios between departments, so a scanner in the workplace is not an option. 73, n9zas

N9JIG

Sheriff
Basically do whatever the boss tells you. Listening to a radio (scanner or broadcast) at work is a privilege and not a right so if they allow it don't abuse it by bothering your office mates.

pb_lonny

Basically do whatever the boss tells you. Listening to a radio (scanner or broadcast) at work is a privilege and not a right so if they allow it don't abuse it by bothering your office mates.

Correct, however how is listening to 90.9MHz (local FM station) okay but 118.7MHz (Airport control tower) not?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So listening to frequency A is okay but frequency B is not?

If you are really concerned and want a final answer, ask your human resources department. Expecting what amounts to strangers on the internet to back up your choice probably isn't going to hold up well.

Ultimately you need to do what is right for you. If you believe you should be allowed to listen to your scanner at work, then go ahead, but remember that they can have a lot more control over what you do that you might want. Sometimes you have to pick your battles.
Keeping things low profile would probably help. If all they see is headphones on and nothing else they won't know exactly what type of radio you are listening to. If you display exactly what you are doing, you can likely expect to get questioned.
Doesn't mean it's right or wrong, just means that you need to find the right person to ask and then decide if you want to follow those rules or not.

Personally I have a scanner going at work, but only to listen to my own systems. I'm in my own office and I keep the volume low.

You are right to question this, just be willing to accept the final answer from your employer, or be willing to look for a new job.

mibzzer15

I have my scanner at home connected to my computer using Proscan so I can stream it online. I then have my phone with Scanner Radio app installed and a set of LG HBS730 bluetooth headphones to use while at work and listen to the scanner.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
If Sandra is going to her headphones while filing, I should be able to listen to the radio while I'm collating...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Careful what you wish for. Sometimes these things turn into a new rule: "well then, no one gets to wear headphones while at work."

Suddenly you become very unpopular with your coworkers.

And before this disintegrates into what's fair and what isn't, remember that "fair" sort of ends with elementary school.

pb_lonny

If you are really concerned and want a final answer, ask your human resources department. Expecting what amounts to strangers on the internet to back up your choice probably isn't going to hold up well.

Ultimately you need to do what is right for you. If you believe you should be allowed to listen to your scanner at work, then go ahead, but remember that they can have a lot more control over what you do that you might want. Sometimes you have to pick your battles.
Keeping things low profile would probably help. If all they see is headphones on and nothing else they won't know exactly what type of radio you are listening to. If you display exactly what you are doing, you can likely expect to get questioned.
Doesn't mean it's right or wrong, just means that you need to find the right person to ask and then decide if you want to follow those rules or not.

Personally I have a scanner going at work, but only to listen to my own systems. I'm in my own office and I keep the volume low.

You are right to question this, just be willing to accept the final answer from your employer, or be willing to look for a new job.

Thank you for the excellent reply. I do keep it very "low profile" and this is the first time it has been an issue. I normally have my scanner in my draw and I suspect somebody has seen it sticking out (what they are doing behind my desk when I am not there I don't know).

At this stage it was just a brief chat but I think it might go higher up the chain.

pb_lonny

Careful what you wish for. Sometimes these things turn into a new rule: "well then, no one gets to wear headphones while at work."

And before this disintegrates into what's fair and what isn't, remember that "fair" sort of ends with elementary school.

You have hit the nail on the head. I am trying to be very careful that this does not happen...

wtp

i used to listen at my job

and then they put me in charge of safety.
so I used the excuse that listening added to it.
some had a problem, until a waterspout hit about 1 mile away.
heard it on the scanner and was warning the outside crew in seconds.
and we did not have to wait for noaa weather to announce it or the local fm radio 1 hour later
but I would go with the boss.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber

This is exactly what I was going to say. Rocking the boat can have unintended consequences. What changed to bring this about? The answer to that may explain a lot more of what is going on.

This is one of those things that make me happy to have my job. My truck has a 996P2 installed by the department. Initial programming is present, but if you know what you're doing, they don't say anything if you put a custom program in.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Wireless Bluetooth earbuds. Keep the scanner tucked away in a drawer. Who could know what you're listening to? If someone asks, tell them you're rockin' out to The Clash.

Voyager

I don't see how listening to anything on a headset will bother your co-workers, but it should not matter what specific frequency you are monitoring.

Open speaker may be another issue if you are listening to something someone else doesn't like.

But as was said - it's up to your boss. Maybe they are looking for a reason to terminate you. Don't give them that reason. (unless you hate the job)

Status
Not open for further replies.