WS1095: I'm Nervous..

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
Hi.. I just bought a WS 1098 and like it very well (except for the uneven front panel lighting) along with my BCD536, but I don't see much interest in Whistler scanners here or the forums.. did I buy something that is fading out, and will not be updated etc.. not to mention re-sale value.. yuk, re-sale looks weak, if not much interest in the product.. I might have goofed.. why not much interest in Whistler Scanners?
Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:

budevans

Hi.. I just bought a WS 1098 and like it very well (except for the uneven front panel lighting) along with my BCD536, but I don't see much interest in Whistler scanners here or the forums.. did I buy something that is fading out, and will not be updated etc.. not to mention re-sale value.. yuk, re-sale looks weak, if not much interest in the product.. I might have goofed.. why not much interest in Whistler Scanners?
Thanks,
Doug

Unfortunately the vast majority of traffic on the Uniden forums are rants and complaints regarding the BCDx36HP scanners.

Simply put, Whistler scanners just don't have anywhere near the issues that Uniden is experiencing. Along those lines, you might want to post asking about the uneven lighting you are seeing with your 1098.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
It could be that the discussions, whining, complaints, etc., about these Whistler scanners occurred a long time ago when they were released by GRE.

Whistler simply slapped their name on these older scanners. The only real change was the addition of a keypad on the portable and mobile versions, along with a detachable face plate for the mobile for which they charge upwards of $500.00. The keypad is mostly unnecessary for these scanners.

Others have acquired old Radio Shack stock of the portable for under $200.00 brand new. Same radio.

So, if there's nothing new and innovative to discuss or review other than a keypad, the crickets come out.

Voyager

The only real change was the addition of a keypad on the portable and mobile versions, along with a detachable face plate for the mobile for which they charge upwards of $500.00. The keypad is mostly unnecessary for these scanners.

Didn't the 1095 have a detachable faceplate?

(and I disagree about the keypad)

QDP2012

Thanks,
Doug

Whistler makes the current models of Radio Shack scanners, like the model numbers beginning with RS Pro-65x. So, things stated in the Radio Shack forum discussions regarding those radios, are likely true about the Whistler WSxxxx models, too; whether good or bad.

But, Whistler representatives stated (beginning at Post #30 in an earlier thread) that they actually fixed problems that GRE did not fix, before releasing the current products under the current model numbers. This might be one of the reasons why you find a lot less complaining in these forums about Whistler products.

Hope this helps,

Ed6698

I have no reason to be posting about my 1080 or 1095 all the time, I am to busy listening to them. I have had no problem with either radio. There is a reason the Whistler forums are quiet for the most part, the radios work as advertised. I did not buy my scanners for bells and whistles, I bought them for listening to.

bharvey2

I don't buy scanners very often. However, in the last 5 years or so I've purchased two scanners and they've both been Radio Shack models. I believe GRE/Whistler manufactured both of them. I've never had any trouble with them and I only purchased my latest one, a PRO-668 because my the local radio systems changed to a mode that was unsupported by my older scanner. The only complaint I have against them is that the case plastic is only a little harder that cold butter. It doesn't take anything to scratch it. Performance-wise, I have no issues.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Whistler simply slapped their name on these older scanners.

Wasn't quite that simple:

More time was spent by Whistler getting the WS1095 to actually work than was spent by GRE creating the PSR-900 in the first place.

The firmware (never-released PSR-900) required some pretty significant rewrites - it was in bad shape. There were also a few hardware changes needed (mostly due to EOL components).

SCPD

QRT
I have no reason to be posting about my 1080 or 1095 all the time, I am to busy listening to them. I have had no problem with either radio. There is a reason the Whistler forums are quiet for the most part, the radios work as advertised. I did not buy my scanners for bells and whistles, I bought them for listening to.

Well said .. :wink::wink:

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I bought this radio because of the built in IF out.

I have set up scan lists for dstar,dmr and local stations that use the dmr mode.
I use it with dsd plus.
Using the radio this way it gives me a digital radio which can scan all those modes not available
to a normal scanner.

Of course i could have done a tap on a uniden scanner and done the same thing.

But receive on my 1098 is superb compared to my 536hp.

I am very happy with my purchase.

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
I bought this radio because of the built in IF out.

I have set up scan lists for dstar,dmr and local stations that use the dmr mode.
I use it with dsd plus.
Using the radio this way it gives me a digital radio which can scan all those modes not available
to a normal scanner.

Of course i could have done a tap on a uniden scanner and done the same thing.

But receive on my 1098 is superb compared to my 536hp.

I am very happy with my purchase.
Thanks for all the replies.. and so right about less problems.. I love mine, except for the uneven lighiting on the display keys and tabs.. but I can live with it.. I like my 536 as well, and was lucky to get one of the most current fixed versions.. both are GREAT SCANNERS.. sometimes I do a thread like this just to shake things up.. LOL... :)
Doug...

Status
Not open for further replies.