ScanBC social media

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioKid604

I love reading the posts on the Scan BC social media, some of them are pretty funny. But how can they monitor the p25 encrypted police talk and then post that online? Do they have special access given to them by the detachment, and isn't the whole point of encryption being that the public doesn't know?

Chilliwack40

E-Comm radios are not P25 ENC, they are ProVoice w ESK. They are scanable with the Uniden 436/536 scanners that have been upgraded with the ProVoice option or those who have chosen to use the DSD route to monitor the system.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
But I thought it was illegal to disclose what one heard on these frequencies.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Same as HAM radio, you can use Fusion, P25, DMR and DSTAR they are ways signal can be encoded, but those not encryption that would not be allowed.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I thought I saw this statement on IC web site, but it was sometime ago:
In Canada, according to the Radiocommunication Act,[12] it is completely legal to install, operate or possess a radio apparatus that is capable only of the reception of broadcasting (digital and analogue, but not encrypted data) provided that private information is not passed on or disclosed to any other person(s) or party(s).

And I thought amateur radio was not considered private.

SCPD

QRT
In Canada, according to the Radiocommunication Act,[12] it is completely legal to install, operate or possess a radio apparatus that is capable only of the reception of broadcasting (digital and analogue, but not encrypted data) provided that private information is not passed on or disclosed to any other person(s) or party(s).

And I thought amateur radio was not considered private.

Social media trumps all these days .. :wink::wink:, until the threat of legal action arrives on the scene which is an option in these cases.

I have seen this on several instances when it comes to streaming.

Amateur radio .. there is absolutely no expectation of privacy. If you think otherwise .. you are mistaken.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber

I will have to re-read the Radio Communications Act but if it is as strict as you quote then there should be no feeds on Broadcastify because it would be illegal.

I know you can't post, or do anything with encrypted communications, but encoded it does't talk about.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Really, it matters not. Listening to majority of law enforcement is nearing its end in Canada. Enjoy it while you can.

SCPD

QRT
I will have to re-read the Radio Communications Act but if it is as strict as you quote then there should be no feeds on Broadcastify because it would be illegal.

I know you can't post, or do anything with encrypted communications, but encoded it does't talk about.

Broadcastify is a US company .. not Canadian, and things are very very different here. The thing about the Radio Communications Act .. the government does almost ZERO enforcement due to lack of manpower / cutbacks.

Re the feeds, you have to remember in some cases .. people (ie Jay911) have permission to have their feeds.

I know of personally at least 3 RR members that have had legal action threatened against them locally due to streaming. That seems to do the trick .. cause most people are not willing to fight a losing battle.

Really, it matters not. Listening to majority of law enforcement is nearing its end in Canada. Enjoy it while you can.

I would give it about 2 years before 'law enforcement' in every major city in Canada is encrypted. Many are already there. You just have to read the recent RCMP Moncton shooting report to see why.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I'll open a can of worms by saying when all goes encrypted, then social media should become more of a communications vehicle because they will be reporting what they see and not what they heard. Or will the police try and shut down social media as well? Currently, I don't like social media because if may cause one to drive distracted unlike listening to scanners. I guess I will have to see what phones will voice social media reports.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Well the thing I don't like about social media, such as the Moncton shooting, is the Authorities feed us what they think we should know. I personally feel I have the knowledge and ability to know and judge myself. I quickly read the report and recommendations [and will read in more depth when I have time] but it seems that they [Authorities] were more concerned about news chasers than scanner listeners. It is unfortunate that 1% of bad apples ruin things for the 99% of legitimate people in everything these days.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Well the thing I don't like about social media, such as the Moncton shooting, is the Authorities feed us what they think we should know. I personally feel I have the knowledge and ability to know and judge myself. I quickly read the report and recommendations [and will read in more depth when I have time] but it seems that they [Authorities] were more concerned about news chasers than scanner listeners. It is unfortunate that 1% of bad apples ruin things for the 99% of legitimate people in everything these days.

Thank your fellow scanner enthusiasts that stream comms on the net.

The Moncton police were concerned that they were being monitored by the suspect, and felt they could not speak freely on their radio system because of people listening and acting on the information they were hearing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Currently, I don't like social media because if may cause one to drive distracted unlike listening to scanners.

Ham operators looking down and fiddling with their radios are distracted too. As are people texting... SM is no different

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Ham operators looking down and fiddling with their radios are distracted too. As are people texting... SM is no different

Don't assume all amateur radio ooerators are stupid tand fiddling with radios while driving. And that is my point of SM as opposed to listening to events on scanners.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Don't assume all amateur radio ooerators are stupid tand fiddling with radios while driving.

I was almost run over by a ham a year or two ago at a crash scene where I was directing traffic. He ignored the directions given to him and drove right out into the intersection, causing two first responders to have to jump out of the way. I think you might know him - it was a silver pickup truck, possibly an F150 if I recall correctly.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I was almost run over by a ham a year or two ago at a crash scene where I was directing traffic. He ignored the directions given to him and drove right out into the intersection, causing two first responders to have to jump out of the way. I think you might know him - it was a silver pickup truck, possibly an F150 if I recall correctly.

And in the mean time, thousands of non hams drive distracted everyday. And as I said not all hams are stupid. In everyday life there are some that care less about others. Personally, I have my radio displays out of sight and the same with my cell phone. I do not even connect my phone to blue tooth. I only look at social media when I am at home. I know a lot of people, hams and non hams, that drive every make of truck, even Raptors.

Status
Not open for further replies.