WS1088 Audio Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormy182

Premium Subscriber
I have had my WS1088 for all but a few days and when I'm scanning I have the speaker set at max and the audio is very quiet. Is this something that can be fixed or do I have to return the scanner?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WS1088 Audio Issue.

Nope, that's it. Real small speaker. They even tell you in the manual *if it's like my 1080* that this will need an amplified speaker, especially in the car AND ESPECIALLY for "conventional" objects or old analog channels. A pair of earbuds helps but are most likely illegal in your state while driving. I can hear the Digital objects fine but not conventional. The audioboost thing does little from what I can tell. Now if you mean the DIGITAL objects and systems? you can change the decibel settings of the ADC gain and DAC gain. If the new 1088 is like my 1080, *we got the update making it much like the new 1088's, complete with new menu settings to change Systems and Sites* you can go to the front of the scanner menu/program menu/global settings and then scroll UP to see the ADC GAIN and DAC gains. Maybe yours is still on the default? You can change the ADC and DAC gains up to +2 on both. I think default is -5 and 0? which is too low unless you get blasted by D2 TDMA like my local system does, I'm glad Whistler gave us that update to manage things better.

stormy182

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info... It's quiet on both analog and digital channels...even the weather band is pretty quiet as well... Will give the gain levels a try..Thanks

stormy182

Premium Subscriber
Reset all settings and plugged in the radio to my cars auxiliary port. Worked fine til I disconnected it from the head phone jack. The scanner was very quiet with the volume on max again. I have already contacted Whistler regarding this issue. Just waiting for a reply. Can't hear any analog or digital signal's.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Reset all settings and plugged in the radio to my cars auxiliary port. Worked fine til I disconnected it from the head phone jack. The scanner was very quiet with the volume on max again. I have already contacted Whistler regarding this issue. Just waiting for a reply. Can't hear any analog or digital signal's.

I was thinking about ordering one of these scanners, but, after reading this I think not! IF this is indeed the case with the low volume, WHY was this allowed and not corrected?!

SCPD

QRT
Sound

In the EZscan or Iscan Softwares there is a tick box for audio boost for any specific channel I run all mine with it on.Keep in mind it is a portable.....Its decent for a handheld.....

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WS1088 Audio Issue?

@Jimg .... Keep in mind his might actually have an audio problem. Either THAT or he has his default settings in EZSCAN set to 0 and 0 for both earphones and normal listening. When the scanner comes on it defaults to 0 sound. I had that happen to me at first and had to learn my EZSCAN settings before loading to the scanner. It's NOT that you can't hear transmissions....it's that SOME "CONV" Conventional* analog channels are very low in volume compared to Digital. My videos on Youtube show both for the WS1080.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6uE5WRpo0k

If you're sitting in a car or have it in hand... yeah, you'll hear Conventional objects/channels* but Driving noise blocks them out for most. My videos on Youtube can be used as an example of what the WS1088 is like. Ticking the "audioboost" in your EZScan software or on the scanner itself does little to what I can tell. I've had my WS1080 since Sept 2014 when they came out. Only real problem is the LSM issue near home. Yagi antenna beat that.

Last edited by a moderator:

stormy182

Premium Subscriber
Yes There is actually an Audio Issue! Took my scanner on an out of town trip and couldn't use it because of the problem... Thought I had it fixed but apparently was only temporary... Last night I had it on Weather Band and There Was NO AUDIO At All and THE FREAKING SPEAKER SETTING WAS ON MAX! Wow you guy's really aren't alot of help if all you have better to do is call me a liar and crap... To hell with you guys I'm going to Whistler.

Blackswan73

Son, I was into radios, and scanners before you were a wink in your grandfather's eye. Most of the problems folks are experiencing with these newer scanners, Uniden, Whistler, GRE, is not taking time to learn their new scanners. Granted, as with all electronics, some may have a defect, but most scanners that are returned as defective, are not. It is the user not understanding the radio. One issue I see often is low volume through earphone jack. This is not an issue with the radio it is compliance with new laws, to prevent idiots from blowing out their eardrums. Yours my have a problem, since you said you couldn't hear weather channel. But as Johnny dollar explained, that is a conventional freq, which are inherently lower than digital freqs.

stormy182

Premium Subscriber
Sucks that the video that I made of the actual issue won't upload.... Would love to prove the one's that think I'm a liar wrong once and for all.

N8IAA

Sucks that the video that I made of the actual issue won't upload.... Would love to prove the one's that think I'm a liar wrong once and for all.

Why not return it to where you bought it? Ask for a replacement radio. If it's a reputable dealer, you shouldn't have a problem. Whistler will handle it in much the same way.
Larry

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Name calling, getting aggressive, and telling people to "Jump off a bridge" is not going to solve anything.

The response that you have interpreted as calling you a liar was because the post he was responding to was not clear. In general, these units do have fairly good audio when there is no issue. Clearly that is not the case here.

Your problem sounds like a defective unit. I would highly suggest calling Whistler for support, exchanging, or returning it based on what you want to do. There is not much anyone can do with a physical hardware defect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.