• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anyone else rescue radios when they see them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retroradio

Anyone else rescue CB radios from garage sales, flea markets, Hamfests?
Key is they have to be on the cheap. I rescued another TRC-30A (I think I'm up to 4 or 5 now...) a TRC-434 and another Micronta 5amp power supply this weekend from a Hamfest.
Is this normal or am I radio obsessed......lol

PACNWDude

Rescue radios.

I do this sometimes. Other times I just place them where they will be seen by someone else who will rescue them.

I mostly see older Radio Shack branded CB's, but some scanners and amateur radio gear too.

My most recent "rescue" was a SpyGear ROVR. This is a wheeled camera with a remote control with LCD display that shows what the camera sees. So first person driving type of toy. Not really the type of radio we are discussing, but it did lead me to the almost pristine Pro-2006 that I also "rescued".

Scanners in my area are usually crystal controlled desktop versions, but on occasion I find something newer and in this case the Pro-2006. It had the diode mod done to it and was missing the antenna, but was in great shape besides that. It now resides on a shelf and listens for the local aircraft traffic.

bharvey2

I don't look specifically for CB radios but I do have an affinity for older radios (usually two-way) in general. I've acquired a number of older CB, marine and various LMR radios.They're definitely fun to try to resurrect. Sometimes they can be hard to get going - especially handhelds with missing batteries.

Retroradio

Ggood to hear that I am not the only one.....lol I also "rescue" scanners but they too are usually older ones. If t says radio Shack on it then I am usually drawn to it like a magnet. I always had an affinity for them as they were the main source of radios in my area back in the day.
A pro 2006 scanner is a cool find. I have never come across HAM gear except at the fests. Good luck with the hunt for older radios/scanners / radio gear.

DJ11DLN

Depends on the type of radio. No CB's for me, I've got a half-dozen in a box that I should pitch except that I'm sentimental about them. Scanners depending on make/model, SW stuff (if I ever could find any -- no luck to date), weather alert radios, and just neat old broadcast gear I tend to grab if it's priced right -- preferably free:). Got a fair collection of LMRS gear, most of it pre-NFM VHF-Hi stuff or just obsolete, most was on its way to the dumpster when I snagged it. No idea what I ever will do with it. Would probably nab Ham gear if I came across it, haven't so far unless you count the CCR H-T's that show up at yard/garage sales etc priced 2-3X what they cost new. Pass-a-mundo on those.

impalass427

I rescue/adopt Courier23/ TRC-x23 tube CBs, bought my first one brand new when I worked at Radio Shack 1968-69, still have it. . have about 12 others. , also Motorola Mocats, have at least 15. I find these mostly at auto swapmeets. Never paid more than $20 for any other than my first.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Anyone else rescue CB radios from garage sales, flea markets, Hamfests?
Key is they have to be on the cheap. I rescued another TRC-30A (I think I'm up to 4 or 5 now...) a TRC-434 and another Micronta 5amp power supply this weekend from a Hamfest.
Is this normal or am I radio obsessed......lol
well I have been known to help them back into the garbage when they fall out. :D. Sorry, couldn't help myself. The title made me do it. Seriously though, usually old tube radios at garage sales are the only ones I drag home. :twisted: 73, n9zas

Retroradio

I had never heard of Motorola Mocats and had to look them up. Very nice. I just picked up another TRC30a , still in box. Up to 6 now I think.....lol

gewecke

Banned
I had never heard of Motorola Mocats and had to look them up. Very nice. I just picked up another TRC30a , still in box. Up to 6 now I think.....lol
. Mocats are excellent cb's when you find them in working order. :wink: 73, n9zas

Retroradio

Mocats have intrigued me.... I can't find a history that lists the models etc... Anywhere on the net. Can anyone point me in the right direction. very curious now....

gewecke

Banned
Mocats have intrigued me.... I can't find a history that lists the models etc... Anywhere on the net. Can anyone point me in the right direction. very curious now....
Try googling Motorola Mocat Model 4000, 4010, and 4020. There was also a SSB base, the CB 555, and a SSB mobile CM 555 :wink: 73, n9zas

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I sometimes rescue gear...if it meets narrowbanding and I know I can resell it. I don't give used CB gear the time of day though (unless I'm being crazy and contemplating a 10m conversion).

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I will sometimes rescue them if I like them. The hunt is part of the fun!

Try googling Motorola Mocat Model 4000, 4010, and 4020. There was also a SSB base, the CB 555, and a SSB mobile CM 555 :wink: 73, n9zas

I have a CB 555, but it is not in use at the present time. Looked a long time before finding one that wasn't outrageously priced. I picked it up because it wasn't as common as some of the other base radios. :cool:

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I grab CB's when I see them...as said above, cheap is the password! I most often do the 10mtr mod and then pass them onto hams that want to give em a try! Probably done a dozen or so. And ask if they no longer want it to pass it onto another ham.
I had a Mocat, I think the 4002, when I was a kid. That would be fun to find.

Last edited:

Retroradio

Thanks Gewecke for the info. Am going top start researching that line of radios....
Best find for me so far was an alaron 4075B NIB. It is now on display as it was the first 40ch radio I ever had.
I found a pic online of the Mocat base......drool!!!

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
I don't rescue CB radios cause personally I have no use for more then 1 of them in my life. I will however rescue more modern technology that's going out of exhistance but still in use like older model Harris Radios that still employ AEGIS and ProVoice digital. Same goes for older Smartnet and Smartzone Motorolas as well as first and second generation P25 radios some equipped with Phase 1 trunking.

TheSpaceMann

I find plenty of old radios at garage sales! Some of then are still in perfect woking order. I actually picked up a Cobra 148 XLR last summer, for just $15 bucks!!! :)

KC2GIU

I only keep an eye out for the SSB 40 channel CBs without the tubes. BUT, I'm not looking for the fancy all digital display types either.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I find plenty of old radios at garage sales! Some of then are still in perfect woking order. I actually picked up a Cobra 148 XLR last summer, for just $15 bucks!!! :)

Should get in on surplus commercial equipment. I was given some VHF Motorola Astro Sabers back in May...when they were new (only 18 years ago) they went for $1800 a piece...and if you can get the firmware updated they still work for P25 Phase 1 and will meet narrowband requirements.

Someone gave me a 100W Micor station with the original sales receipt. Cost a plumbing company $13,200 in 1982...they are next to worthless today.

Status
Not open for further replies.