Gable mounting an antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE0GXN

I want to gable mount a Diamond X50 antenna at the apex of my house with the following mount:

Winegard SW-0012 Gable End Mount for Off-Air TV Antenna (SW-0012) from Solid Signal

My question is mast height.... I would like to get the maximum height possible without having to guy it, so I am thinking about 10 foot mast....

Channel Master CM1810 10-Foot Galvinized Mast (CM1810) from Solid Signal foot mast

Or should I go with a 5 foot mast instead?

Solid Signal SSMAST Heavy Duty Grade 1.25-Inch TV Antenna Mast (SSMAST) from Solid Signal

n5ims

Question is, now steep is your roof? If it's pretty steep, the two parts of the mount will be rather far apart (and therefore will support a longer mast, perhaps even requiring one). If it's pretty flat, the two parts will be quite close together (and won't provide much support). The key is the distance your roof's slope will allow those two parts to be apart. This distance is critical in the amount of weight the mount will support and weight is not only how heavy the antenna is, but how heavy it is PLUS how much force a strong gust of wind will push that antenna (this can be quite a bit). You'll need a pretty steep roof angle to properly support a 10' mast.

Weaksignal

I say 5' maximum... the Winegard photo example looks more like a 3' mast. Consider your roof truss and rafter loading as well.

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
Oh and you can go to menards or home depot and get a 1" or 1.25" x 10' electrical conduit pipe for a lot less than 30 bucks... I just got a 10' x 1" for $6.00 ....

KE0GXN

Question is, now steep is your roof? If it's pretty steep, the two parts of the mount will be rather far apart (and therefore will support a longer mast, perhaps even requiring one). If it's pretty flat, the two parts will be quite close together (and won't provide much support). The key is the distance your roof's slope will allow those two parts to be apart. This distance is critical in the amount of weight the mount will support and weight is not only how heavy the antenna is, but how heavy it is PLUS how much force a strong gust of wind will push that antenna (this can be quite a bit). You'll need a pretty steep roof angle to properly support a 10' mast.

Here is a pic of my eve:

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,855

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Your roof is too shallow for an eave mount unfortunately. :(

The maximum spread of that Winegard lower mount is 60".

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
You could drive a stake* into the ground, then run a mast from there up to the eave and secure it with a u-bolt and bracket. The end on the ground will supply more than enough leverage to keep the mast secure.

* use a four foot piece of galvanized steel pipe for a stake, driving it about 3' into the ground

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, that is immediately what I thought of after Bill's post....

How high can one go on a tripod without guying?

I've had 10' steel mast section on my tripod for eighteen years now. I have a very high and steep "hat" roof, so the tip of my antenna is around 42' AGL.

KE0GXN

You could drive a stake* into the ground, then run a mast from there up to the eave and secure it with a u-bolt and bracket. The end on the ground will supply more than enough leverage to keep the mast secure.

* use a four foot piece of galvanized steel pipe for a stake

That eve is over my two car garage and a concrete driveway. The reason I choose that side was because my shack is on that side of the house....

I could use the other side of the house, but that would require a lot more of a coax run, as I would have to run the coax almost the entire length of my house to get to the shack room.

KE0GXN

With an x-50 i suppose 15' although i have one on a 25' pole in a tripod....

I've had 10' steel mast section on my tripod for eighteen years now. I have a very high and steep "hat" roof, so the tip of my antenna is around 42' AGL.

Based on what you guys are saying, looks like tripod is the way to go for me.

Appreciate the feedback guys! Now its time to research tripods. :)

SCPD

QRT
Have you considered mounting a couple pieces of 1 by 4's or 1 by 6's under the shingles across the top of the gable, and then put your gable mount on the wood? Cut an angle in the wood to fit nicely, and paint the boards before you put them up of course. Only other thing to mention if you do go this route is don't let the mast touch the shingles. That may conduit rain water to places you don't want it.

One of my antennas is mounted to the side of the house with butterfly bolts (is that what you call them?) going thru to the attic. I had to cut a couple of 6" angle iron pieces to get the pole from touching the roof. But I'll venture if you decide to go with what I'm suggesting, the extra wood will keep the mast from touching the roof.

KE0GXN

Have you considered mounting a couple pieces of 1 by 4's or 1 by 6's under the shingles across the top of the gable, and then put your gable mount on the wood? Cut an angle in the wood to fit nicely, and paint the boards before you put them up of course. Only other thing to mention if you do go this route is don't let the mast touch the shingles. That may conduit rain water to places you don't want it.

One of my antennas is mounted to the side of the house with butterfly bolts (is that what you call them?) going thru to the attic. I had to cut a couple of 6" angle iron pieces to get the pole from touching the roof. But I'll venture if you decide to go with what I'm suggesting, the extra wood will keep the mast from touching the roof.

Sounds interesting and I don't see why it would not work. I like it. :)

I am not a carpenter/handyman by any means, but I might be able to pull that off. It will lower my overall height by a couple of feet, since the gable will be mounted a little lower from the apex, but imagine not by much...

KE0GXN

Oh, and I forgot to mention my house has a second top gable, kind of like this one:

Attachments

• 517Zjgq5JrL.jpg
    517Zjgq5JrL.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 3,850
Status
Not open for further replies.