Trunked system submission guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
What are guidelines for trunked site submissions?

I mean what info is "REQUIRED" for sites to be entered in the database?

Thanks

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
It would seem to me that the answer is "all the information that you would need to enter into your receiver in order to monitor the system" is probably about right.

Start with the list of frequencies the system uses. Identify control channels where known, include the logical channel order if required for that system type. Identify the system type and system ID information, then move on to a list of known talkgroups and functions.

Use common sense. What you need to listen is what needs to be provided.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I know how to submit, I was hoping for something official from the higher ups.

Specific to trunked sites.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Just look at what's in the database for trunked systems. Off the top of my head this is what comes to mind:

System name
System ID
Connect Tone, NAC, Color Code, RAN, etc
Frequencies
Call Signs, Licenses, Lat & Long
Peers, neighbors, adjacent sites, etc
Talkgroup IDs
Whatever else you might find useful.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I meant can I submit five trunked sites, and give the same lat & long for all of them and leave Site Location empty?

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
I meant can I submit five trunked sites, and give the same lat & long for all of them and leave Site Location empty?

You can,please add range and county the site is in, and as stated above please try to use the format that the database here looks like, also function tag are nice to.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Help me understand why you would want five sites to share the same geographic coordinates.

I actually dont, but someone made a submission with 5 sites, and they all share the same Latitude N 40.68 (County) and Longitude W -74 (County) , and it was published here pdvWireless Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

That's why I am questioning the policy for trunked site information.

In addition, the following fields were left blank.

Site Neighbors: N/A this info comes up in dsd
Site Location: N/A
Site Modulation: N/A should say dmr

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Looks like they don't know the actual location of the sites.

Neighbors is not really a required field, though I do submit it when it's available. The fact that it's used by one application or another shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Location is a free-form text field as far as I can recall (from my time as an admin ages ago) and is supposed to be used to identify "in English" where the location is, i.e. "top floor Citibank tower" or some such. Again, I suspect that the people who submitted only knew that it was in "New York", and didn't provide anything further. The "(County)" part indicates that the lat/long of the county the site is in was used because of a lack of information supplied.

Modulation - I would consider it obvious that a site in a DMR system is using DMR, but that's just me. Might want to check the manual Lowboy posted a link to and see what it says.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

Again, I suspect that the people who submitted only knew that it was in "New York", and didn't provide anything further.

The "(County)" part indicates that the lat/long of the county the site is in was used because of a lack of information supplied.

So its ok that stuff like this, that lacks information, gets published? Five sites all in the same spot? Is that even physically possible?

I remember a month or 2 ago a database admin asking people to id a bunch of dod sites that lacked the same info, and then they were deleted as part of a dod clean up.

In my opinion, more information about sites should be required for them to be published to the database.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I understand your point; however, it's hard for a submitter to pinpoint the sites if all they have is a signal from their one monitoring location.

If it were me, I'd cross-check those frequencies against the FCC ULS and see if I could come up with tower locations, to post to the DB.

Five sites in the same spot is not unheard of - though not for the same system. There are thousands of places all over the world where multiple companies, though, have their antenna on the same "tower" or building or mountaintop or etc as somebody else.

Just knowing that these sites exist is helpful information because it drives somebody to gather more information about them. I, like you, would prefer to get more info than less, and I suggested one way to sort out that issue above. But not everybody has those resources at hand or knows how to use them.

ecps92

And looks like someone did a cut-n-paste from a Houston Site, as when you drill down to the Site and the Map pops up, it is Houston Texas, Not Atlanta GA :confused:

Seems some of the 900 Networks have Market Licenses, and can't be found for License info by Freq (experience tracking some New England control channels) Unless someone spends time DF'ing them down, you only know a rough area for the sites

Neighbors is not really a required field, though I do submit it when it's available. The fact that it's used by one application or another shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Location is a free-form text field as far as I can recall (from my time as an admin ages ago) and is supposed to be used to identify "in English" where the location is, i.e. "top floor Citibank tower" or some such. Again, I suspect that the people who submitted only knew that it was in "New York", and didn't provide anything further. The "(County)" part indicates that the lat/long of the county the site is in was used because of a lack of information supplied.

Modulation - I would consider it obvious that a site in a DMR system is using DMR, but that's just me. Might want to check the manual Lowboy posted a link to and see what it says.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Five sites in the same spot is not unheard of - though not for the same system.

Thats whats there, 5 sites in the same spot on the same system.

This should be fixed now.

Can you elaborate on what exactly was fixed?

The 5 New York sites are still displaying the same geographic coordinates, and from looking at the change log, those New York sites have had noting done to them since they were added on 2 10 2016.

Code:
Changed	Admin	Date Changed
General text description updated	Starcom21	2016-02-13 09:32:48
Added a new news entry	Starcom21	2016-02-13 09:28:50
Changed Site # 119 (Chicago, IL) to 119 (Chicago, IL)	Starcom21	2016-02-13 09:26:08
Changed Site # 119 (Chicago, IL) to 119 (Chicago, IL)	Starcom21	2016-02-13 09:22:37
Added Site # 176 (New York)	ericcarlson	2016-02-10 19:54:35
Added Site # 87 (New York)	ericcarlson	2016-02-10 19:54:20
Added Site # 85 (New York)	ericcarlson	2016-02-10 19:54:05
Added Site # 84 (New York)	ericcarlson	2016-02-10 19:53:50
Added Site # 83 (New York)	ericcarlson	2016-02-10 19:52:2

And furthermore, looking at 2 of the GA sites, how can one for north area and one for south area, both have the same geographic coordinates

System Name: pdvWireless
Site Location: Various, Multi-State
Site Number: Decimal: 037 / Hex: 25
Site Unique DB ID: 26708
Site Description: Atlanta, GA south area
Site County Location: None Specified
Site Neighbors: 31 33 34 35 39
Site Modulation: N/A
Site Notes: DCC 0
Latitude N 33.7489954
Longitude W -84.3879824

System Name: pdvWireless
Site Location: Various, Multi-State
Site Number: Decimal: 039 / Hex: 27
Site Unique DB ID: 26705
Site Description: Atlanta, GA north area
Site County Location: None Specified
Site Neighbors: 31 33 35 36 37
Site Modulation: N/A
Site Notes: DCC 0
Latitude N 33.7489954
Longitude W -84.3879824
Range 25 Miles

Is anyone paying any attention to whats being added to the database?

The same with the 3 Houston sites, those too all share the same geographic coordinates.

S M H

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Thats whats there, 5 sites in the same spot on the same system.

Can you elaborate on what exactly was fixed?

The 5 New York sites are still displaying the same geographic coordinates, and from looking at the change log, those New York sites have had noting done to them since they were added on 2 10 2016.

<snip>

And furthermore, looking at 2 of the GA sites, how can one for north area and one for south area, both have the same geographic coordinates

<snip>

Is anyone paying any attention to whats being added to the database?

The same with the 3 Houston sites, those too all share the same geographic coordinates.

Dave,

Yes, our administrators do pay attention to what is being added to the database. All they can do is utilize the information that is submitted, and follow up with some research to better pin down the location of a given site. Unfortunately, accurate information is not always easily available, so they do the best they can under the circumstances.

One thing to keep in mind is that tower space is at a premium and is very expensive in most metropolitan areas. So, when they latch onto a good location, many companies will put multiple sites at a single location and focus the coverage with directional antennas or by clever antenna positioning. As such, the license itself will show only a single geographic location, but each site at that location nominally covers a specific area (although it can be heard elsewhere as well).

It's difficult to pin down specifics on a system like that, so what's in the database is as accurate as possible. Our hope is that by making available what's been submitted, some local users will be encouraged and curious enough to dig a bit deeper and submit more accurate information.

D

DaveNF2G

A related problem occurs where a river or valley is a geopolitical boundary. Sites to serve one entity might have to be placed across the valley to get coverage. Such sites can show up associated with the "wrong" area due to their physical location, which is not within the area they are serving.

We have at least one case like that in my area, where a tower in Albany County is used exclusively to serve a user in Rensselaer County. The new Albany County simulcast system will create more such situations with towers located in Rensselaer County as needed to cover the Albany County side of the Hudson River.

rcool101

Feed Provider
A related problem occurs where a river or valley is a geopolitical boundary. Sites to serve one entity might have to be placed across the valley to get coverage. Such sites can show up associated with the "wrong" area due to their physical location, which is not within the area they are serving.

We have at least one case like that in my area, where a tower in Albany County is used exclusively to serve a user in Rensselaer County. The new Albany County simulcast system will create more such situations with towers located in Rensselaer County as needed to cover the Albany County side of the Hudson River.
We have a tower across the river. In another state.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.