BCD536HP question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob132

In the Owners manual it mentions not unplugging the AC power supply until the scanner has been shut off. Does this also apply to 12 volt power? On my previous scanner I installed a toggle switch on the driver side of my vehicle so that I could leave the scanner turned on and volume set to a desired level and not have to lean over to the passenger side of the vehicle to power up or set the volume.I would use the toggle switch to turn the scanner on and off and it worked great. I also noticed that if the BCD536HP is on when I start the vehicle , it reboots as if I had turned the power at the scanner off and then on again (as does the toggle switch). Can anyone tell me if these things could damage the scanner, and if so what I might do to remedy the situation.

At this time I have bypassed the toggle switch and the scanner is connected to 12 volts at the battery, however the scanner when turned on is still rebooting when I start the vehicle. I will leave it this way until I hear something different from someone that knows more about this scanner then I do.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
They make a 12 volt power conditioner that keeps the volts at 12 volts when it drops during starting but these use power also so they can not be left on. These can be bought in volt and amp sizes.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The general recommendation is to turn the scanner off before disconnecting power. That being said, I've had a 536 in my vehicle as long as they have been around and is connected to an ignition sense circuit. No issues thus far.

I do keep a spare SD card in the vehicle just in case.

The only hitch is that not every change I make is "remembered" when I turn off the vehicle. If I do change something, I have to turn the scanner off at the volume knob so the changes are committed to the SD card.

Bob132

This is a popular solution - works great!

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/s...LzDEQ==&ddkey=https:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

I would power this unit with the toggle as it draws some juice all the time.
I wish I would have known that something as simple as interrupting power to this scanner was going to become such a huge issue.I love the BCD536HP but Had I known of this problem I might have went a different route. I've Never had this problem with any previous scanners that I have owned, but I guess things like this are inevitable in the higher tech scanners on the market today.

Thank you for your input.
If anybody else has any work arounds I am still open for suggestions

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I wish I would have known that something as simple as interrupting power to this scanner was going to become such a huge issue.I love the BCD536HP but Had I known of this problem I might have went a different route. I've Never had this problem with any previous scanners that I have owned, but I guess things like this are inevitable in the higher tech scanners on the market today.

Thank you for your input.
If anybody else has any work arounds I am still open for suggestions

The BCD 996P2 also reboots like the 536 when starting the engine, the only thing is that the 996P2 has no SD card.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
To me the time to re-boot a scanner is so minimal, I don't give it a second thought. The additional features offset the nuisance.

If there is any regular travel involved, using the 996P2 means a lot more programming effort, so there is that trade-off.

dougjgray

I would think that if you cut the power source, that there would no time to save to sd card, unless it was saving to sd card and lost power during the save then the file could be half written and thus corrupt. So seems like your dealing with a slight chance of corrupting the sd card. 4 g sd cards are a couple $ i think have a backup on hand

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Jameco works very good but if you don't start the vehicle for a week or so it may not start as the Jameco does draw juice.

My 2013 Silverado was dead after I left the scanner on with the MeanWell for a weekend. Bad surprise for 5 am on Monday.

N9JIG

Sheriff
All SD-Card scanners have this issue. You must turn off the scanner prior to pulling power to allow it to finish any writes to the SD Card. If you don't then eventually you will end up with a corrupted SD Card. It isn't just a Uniden thing, GRE/Whistler/RS SD-Card scanners do the same.

Non-SD Card scanners do not have this problem, but as noted above, occasionally do not remember certain parameters left by the user. If yours does this just turn off the scanner with the power switch after setting it to the way you want and it will remember it from then on.

Bob132

To me the time to re-boot a scanner is so minimal, I don't give it a second thought. The additional features offset the nuisance.

If there is any regular travel involved, using the 996P2 means a lot more programming effort, so there is that trade-off.
It's not the reboot of the scanner that bothers me, it's the possibility of corrupting the sd card. You are right though I would hate to give up the features of the 536. I guess I will just have to retrain myself and remember to switch off the scanner before starting the vehicle, however teaching an old dog like me new tricks is not always easy.

New scanner technology= Good

Teaching an old dog = Not so good

Thanks

Bob132

All SD-Card scanners have this issue. You must turn off the scanner prior to pulling power to allow it to finish any writes to the SD Card. If you don't then eventually you will end up with a corrupted SD Card. It isn't just a Uniden thing, GRE/Whistler/RS SD-Card scanners do the same.

Non-SD Card scanners do not have this problem, but as noted above, occasionally do not remember certain parameters left by the user. If yours does this just turn off the scanner with the power switch after setting it to the way you want and it will remember it from then on.
I'm not exactly pulling power, just briefly interrupting it when I start the vehicle.causing a reboot.Things are pretty much where I want them with the exception of an occasional avoid.
So far when I have forgotten to turn off the power before starting the vehicle everything seems to be ok afterward, just a little worried that if I keep doing thisit might damage the scanner or SD card some how.

Seems as though Uniden has removed their tech support phone number from their web site and the automated tech thingy won't let me ask a question.

Thanks

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Bob this is not a UNIDEN problem as pointed out in several post. The solution to the problem is a 12 volt line conditioner or power down and back up each time. This same problem is seen in a Fire Truck with 6 12 volt 1000 amp hour batteries and starting the motor the fix was the line conditioners where the voltage droped below 10 volts when starting. 10 guage wires plus and minus stright to the batteries 14 foot to the radio so the wire was not the problem either.

Bob132

Bob this is not a UNIDEN problem as pointed out in several post. The solution to the problem is a 12 volt line conditioner or power down and back up each time. This same problem is seen in a Fire Truck with 6 12 volt 1000 amp hour batteries and starting the motor the fix was the line conditioners where the voltage droped below 10 volts when starting. 10 guage wires plus and minus stright to the batteries 14 foot to the radio so the wire was not the problem either.
I really like the idea of the battery conditioner or battery stabilizer and plan on looking around for something in that line. Do you happen to know of one that won't suck the life out of my battery without installing a switch to solve that problem too?.

Thank you for all of your input and everyone else with a suggestion as well. I'm sure I'll come up with the appropriate fix, even if it ends up being a 12 volt gel cell battery connected through the ignition to a trickle charger of it's own.in the mean time I'll just make sure the scanner is turned off until after I start the vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.