West Haven

Status
Not open for further replies.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
I've been noticing some testing on WHPD F1 lately. I know they were approved for digital and have caught several rumors they will be going digital in the next month or so. That coupled with the tests - Has anyone else heard anything so we can plan accordingly?

slapshot0017

Yea they have been in the process for like a year now... Surprised they're finally going through with it. UNH will be going along with them. I wasn't told if it would be conventional or trunked though so we will have to see.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
If they are testing on the current frequencies only in digital then it will be a standard conventional system as it is now. I haven't looked to see if there is a new license on the FCC database for a trunked system. Mor ethan likely they wont do that, but I've been wrong in the past.

slapshot0017

Yea I don't think it will be trunked, I was just told when I went to UNH that they'd be on the same "system", but you never know what that means coming from the cops. The FCC license, I want to say, is for conventional.

slapshot0017

I agree, but have you ever seen the gear they work with? Its the Kenwood equivqlent of the HT1000, don't know the exact model, and its time to upgrade their gear. This means the latest and greatest gets forced upon them. West Haven also has some serious coverage issues so maybe this will alleviate most of that.

APX7500X2

Its about time, They got APX mobiles a few years ago, I hope they are doing simulcast, Unfortunately they don't have the greatest people doing their radio communications. It would be nice if Fire went also.

Look for digital coming to a town near you ... Guilford PD......Stratford PD & FD....Derby PD....Shelton PD.....Orange PD....Woodbridge PD.......Hamden PD...New Haven PD has been thinking about it...so that's a Maybe

MrAntiDigital

Its about time, They got APX mobiles a few years ago, I hope they are doing simulcast, Unfortunately they don't have the greatest people doing their radio communications. It would be nice if Fire went also.

Look for digital coming to a town near you ... Guilford PD......Stratford PD & FD....Derby PD....Shelton PD.....Orange PD....Woodbridge PD.......Hamden PD...New Haven PD has been thinking about it...so that's a Maybe

NOT really something I'll be looking forward to that's for sure. As it goes, I just keep writing them off. I guess there really is advantages to being old. Because I got to enjoy the hobby and interest so much during those years that have passed us by.

I guess I really owe it all to "A Higher Power" for being so good to me and putting me here during some of the greatest years of scanner/emergency radio buffing in its history. Maybe that's hard for some to understand but I ask that you just try to take my word for it.

Thank you for your understanding,

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber

Any talk of the above mentioned towns going encrypted as well?

Manny

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Stupid idea . non of the towns around are digital except milford.

Milford police is encrypted, not sure when they went digital (sorry forgot they went prior to editing this post). They have been encrypted since the 1990s.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
I know in the database they were approved for digital on their old freq and I heard about UNH going on the same system which they already share the freqs. I've been told by no less than 3 including two higher ups that it may be full time encryption as for the old radios they currently have last time I saw the portables they were like TK-260's. Also as for New Haven going digital this was discussed a few years ago but New Haven PD said they did not have the money to do it. Not sure if there are any grants right now either
Also it lists emission codes as 11K0F3E which was the analog and what I don't get is the digital. 8K70D1W which shows as P25 Linear Simulcast Modulation ASTRO 9.6kbps 12.5 spacing. So it's going to be ASTRO? isn't that a step backward or am I reading this wrong? BTW there was also a construction letter from January of this year on the database as well.

Last edited:

Kitn1mcc

Premium Subscriber
Really does West haven need this. What they do not want everyone listening about blight violation reports.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
APX,
You would know the answer to this I am thinking better than most. Lets say West Haven goes encrypted. Milford is already encrypted. Lets say the other departments also go digital. I am not even going to bring encryption into the picture. Don't the different modes of digital make it harder for the departments to talk to each other in the event of something? Yest the dispatchers can relay info to the field units but that delays things at least minimally. I'm not going from a I want to monitor them I am going from an operational standpoint

N1GTL

Database Admin
As long as the radios support the same type of encryption being used, they can be used on multiple systems. Towns would have to have to give up the system key (not likely) or have the neighboring towns radio person or company add that departments channel.

As a side note, there are a lot of options (CSPERN, UASI, STOCS, SCAN) that would allow interop between departments. No one uses it often and most cars have other radios off or turned down other than their town.

APX,
You would know the answer to this I am thinking better than most. Lets say West Haven goes encrypted. Milford is already encrypted. Lets say the other departments also go digital. I am not even going to bring encryption into the picture. Don't the different modes of digital make it harder for the departments to talk to each other in the event of something? Yest the dispatchers can relay info to the field units but that delays things at least minimally. I'm not going from a I want to monitor them I am going from an operational standpoint

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Thanks for that N1GTL. I thought about those as well as the old hotline. I was thinking along the lines of pursuits plus I know several of the West Haven guys who actually monitor New Haven and have called dispatch to tell them of things heading towards town. That's why I asked

APX7500X2

APX,

Well the nice thing about digital is its so much more interoperable than analog.

Digital radios can do analog, older analog radios can't do digital, making them poor for interoperability.

If a town, (lets say Milford) has encryption they can still hear units (say Stratford) trying to contact them in digital clear, and the Milford units can switch over to their clear mode and answer Stratford in the clear and keep the incident clear until its resolved, perfect interoperability. So to be clear, an out of town unit can key up and call on a digital channel in the clear and the units that are on that channel encrypted will hear them, to talk back they just change to clear and everyone hears everyone. You could also set the channel up Mix-Mode and make it possible for analog units to contact the encrypted units and the encrypted units can then change to the analog channel for the incident, making a Digital encrypted system even more interoperable.

If I just put my scanner-head hat on I still love digital, it sounds better, and better audio for a greater distance. Down side is encryption is quick, easy and with Motorola comes free with all new APX radios, it is only 40 bit ADP and not up to federal standards but in the industry its called Anti-Scanner encryption.

If west haven goes digital with out encryption, I would say its a huge win for scanner heads as its going to sound great

MrAntiDigital

Well the nice thing about digital is its so much more interoperable than analog.

Digital radios can do analog, older analog radios can't do digital, making them poor for interoperability.

If a town, (lets say Milford) has encryption they can still hear units (say Stratford) trying to contact them in digital clear, and the Milford units can switch over to their clear mode and answer Stratford in the clear and keep the incident clear until its resolved, perfect interoperability. So to be clear, an out of town unit can key up and call on a digital channel in the clear and the units that are on that channel encrypted will hear them, to talk back they just change to clear and everyone hears everyone. You could also set the channel up Mix-Mode and make it possible for analog units to contact the encrypted units and the encrypted units can then change to the analog channel for the incident, making a Digital encrypted system even more interoperable.

If I just put my scanner-head hat on I still love digital, it sounds better, and better audio for a greater distance. Down side is encryption is quick, easy and with Motorola comes free with all new APX radios, it is only 40 bit ADP and not up to federal standards but in the industry its called Anti-Scanner encryption.

If west haven goes digital with out encryption, I would say its a huge win for scanner heads as its going to sound great

I can respect your opinion and I'm sure you actually know a lot more about it than I do.

But if I'm allowed to, "I sure do DISAGREE with that". Speaking as a scanner buff that is. Without getting into so many of my own actual observations.

I still can NOT understand why the LARGEST City in the USA did NOT go to a digital radio systems for their emergency services (police, fire, ems). And this interoperability thing all started with the attack on the WTC in NYC on 9/11/01. "Do they know something that we don't" ?

As they say: "Different strokes for different folks".

Last edited:

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
I can respect your opinion and I'm sure you actually know a lot more about it than I do.

But if I'm allowed to, "I sure do DISAGREE with that". Speaking as a scanner buff that is. Without getting into so many of my own actual observations.

I still can NOT understand why the LARGEST City in the USA did NOT go to a digital radio systems for their emergency services (police, fire, ems). And this interoperability thing all started with the attack on the WTC in NYC on 9/11/01. "Do they know something that we don't" ?

As they say: "Different strokes for different folks".

Wow willie awesome post, i didnt even think of that, it is odd that new new york city doesnt have digital and encryption and they are alway a target for any type of terrorist incident, but a small city and town in ct or many other towns and cities go gung hoe for encryption and system that cant Be monitord by scanners, someone did tell me awhile ago new york city tried the digital stuff but doesnt work well with the tall buildings

MrAntiDigital

That is correct Rick.

The City of New York put digital radios in service in the South Brooklyn District for the FDNY/EMS. I believe they used it for a one year trial program. NOT GOOD was the final conclusion. As a result that radio system was scrapped and digital radios are now used by some of the Non Emergency Radio traffic of department administrators instead.

It was thought that if digital radios would work well, all of the FDNY, FDNY/EMS, and NYPD would convert over. Instead as some may know, that did NOT happen. The FDNY has gone to a new UHF radio but is also simulcast on still the high band of 154's.

No DIGITAL RADIO Systems as I've been told by those in the know with the City of NY.

Maybe those considering digital radios as the new best deal on the block, should check with officials in NYC before they spend a few bucks on a new state of the art, digital radio system. They sure don't have to take the word of some frustrated old scanner buff like myself whose trying to talk them out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.