AFRRCS Encryption Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompKing

Premium Subscriber
Got my first voice transmission from the testers today off of Spy Hill repeater. It was in the clear (P25 Digital). But all the transmissions I saw on Forest Lawn was encrypted. :)

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
All sorts of testing heard today on several different groups. I think I heard one Harris/AFRRCS tech reference High Level.

Encryption isn't restricted by tower, by the way - it's more likely that the encrypted users just happened to be at a location that kept them to just the one tower.

SCPD

QRT
They are using this channel (991) in red deer, its currently being simulcast on the 800 system here, is encrypted on affrcs but is clear on the 800, they are also using new call signs IE. Red Deer 1 Alpha 4 instead of the old medic 4

It's nice to know that EMS using radios with ID number on a site that have six peers
But what's the point if you can't monitor them?

With all Tier 1 users with maybe one exception communications will be encrypted
Tier 1 is the biggies, Police, Ambulance .....

SCPD

QRT
It's nice to know that EMS using radios with ID number on a site that have six peers
But what's the point if you can't monitor them?

With all Tier 1 users with maybe one exception communications will be encrypted
Tier 1 is the biggies, Police, Ambulance .....

Haha .. two eye rolls. :roll::roll:

I am with you on this one Doug, it is all pretty insane. I am not wasting my time on it.

SCPD

QRT
Red Deer talk group active today in Athabasca. Encrypted.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
Just saw 2 EMS radios on 992, then they switched over to talkgroup 1066 which didn't use encryption. It was just a brief test, no audio heard

Well some good news for Edmonton since at least a third of EMS calls are mutual with
Fire and it will be sometime before fire get on the system

Wonder when the techs will get the Edmonton simulcast distortion
Sorted out. It's even horrible on a real radio, they don't need to run encryption
It's that bad you hardley make out a word

SCPD

QRT
The only way I was able to overcome the distortion was to use a yagi pointed at the tower downtown. With the yagi I am able to hear about 95% or better of what is being said. If I switch to the mag mount forget it.
I agree the Yagi pointed at tower helps. Looks like EMS has a new use
for the IV pole, mount Yagi's on them
Seen a few EMS portables affiliating to at least 10 new Talk groups today
Only two in the clear

Jay911

Feed Provider
Makes sense to not hear control if they're encrypted. Perhaps one or two radios escaped getting encryption loaded, or perhaps the talkgroups are actually not strapped E and the onus is on the operator to stay coded?

Jay911

Feed Provider
So this new system us going to be aes encryption I herd any thoughts about this

There are some users using encryption (on some but not all channels) and some not. As for what type of encryption, I don't think it matters - encryption is encryption as far as the scanner hobbyist is concerned.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
So this new system us going to be aes encryption I herd any thoughts about this

Pretty much any law enforcement will be using encryption. There is even provisions for local law enforcement interop talkgroups to use encryption. The multidisciplinary Combined Event Talkgroups (CET)are mandated to be unencrypted.

For tier 1 users, you likely will only be able to listen to Fire, well those departments that will actually move to the system. Many likely won't use AFRRCS for anything other than interop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
AFRRCS - Alberta First Responders' Radio Communication System - INFO HERE

Well jee I sure hope technology let's us listen to law enforcement still someway

If you want to listen join and become a member/civilian employee. Or get a 'ride'...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay911

Feed Provider
There wasn't an energetic push to encrypt in Canada until people (media) started broadcasting what should have been private moments, such as the "last words" of a dying man.

Media in this country generally don't show dead bodies in photographs or video nor do they publish gravely injured people coughing out their last breaths. I don't know why that rule wasn't observed just because the activity happened on a radio.

Besides that particular practice, you can thank other people such as kids who blatantly admit to programming up radios for public safety comms and chasing emergency services around pretending to respond to their calls as another reason why encryption is part of our world now.

Encryption is not a minor technological hurdle to overcome like trunking was or like Provoice was. Encryption is designed specifically to keep unauthorized listeners out, and engineered so that defeating it is essentially impossible. Finally, there are laws in place to prohibit encryption from being breached.

That being said, this is not the thread for an encryption discussion. Please keep conversations here focused on the AFRRCS network.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I believe it was discovered that encryption is a choice the operator can make (technically speaking - policy-wise, they're probably supposed to stay encrypted all the time).

There are two different methods for encryption of a channel (talkgroup). There are channels which support clear traffic and encryption, and the onus is on the operator to select encrypted mode on their radio; and there are channels which are forced ("strapped") to encryption only, and radios will be forced into encrypted mode when they switch to that group (or, if the radios don't support encryption, they will be unable to join that group).

Status
Not open for further replies.